Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does Anyone Own A Bernese Mountain Dog??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Ladywiccana, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Ive always absolutely loved these dogs :D :D :smilewinkgrin:.

I was just wondering, because i was once told that they dont need much exercise because of there bones??... Just wondered if there was any truth in this or just a myth????

Because if i thought i could have one, then have one i would hehe :eek:ut: :idea: :smilewinkgrin:

2. c20spit

c20spit PetForums Junior

i don't own a bernese but i have just got a portuguese mountain dog, the breeder told me that for the first 6 months it's allowed to play but only be walked for 5 mins a day, after 6 months 15 mins a day, i think after a year they are ok but i'll check again when that time is here.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would have thought that a working dog would be capable of a reasonable amount of exercise when mature enough.

Theres a guy near me who owns a pair, and they are walked as much as any other breed, and seem quite high energy.

I dont see why people would breed animals that were unable to exercise.

4. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

bernese like all giants shouldnt be over exercised too much as a youngster untill all the bones and joints have fully developed.
    They are a mountain breed and are capable of a good steady work pace. they are not built for speed, they make great carting dogs and also do well in the water (without the cart!)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice