Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone make their own treats?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by nhamblin84, Aug 3, 2009.

1. nhamblin84

nhamblin84 PetForums Member

Hiya

I was just wondering if anyone makes their own dog treats?

The lady at training sells some very 'smelly' treats which she says are good for beagles as they arent really interested in the normal treats.....

....one of the other ladies there said that she makes her own from liver, garlic, an egg and flour???

does anyone else make treats?

Also i heard one of the women saying that they feed them raw fruit and veg??

anyone else heard of this?

2. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

We make our own treats for shows and training, but it's really very basic. I just buy some liver, boil it for about 20 minutes, chop it into small pieces and then freeze it until we need it. Our dogs absolutely love it - partly because they are never given it except for when they are being trained and when they are working at a show.

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have done. Liver makes me gag, so i havent progressed to anything livery yet.

I've made peanut butter biscuit, cheese ones, and carrot ones. Plus some nutty ones that were sunflower heart and mollases based.

Oscar liked all of them, Alfie turned his nose up at the peanut butter ones.

I imagine anything liver based would be really tasty. I think its one of the most popular training treats.

4. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

Heh heh - I'm the same with liver Nonnie - at least until it's cooked. I can't abide the raw stuff. I just buy a pre-pack from the supermarket, slit it open, and tip it straight into a pan of water without touching it at all. (Shudders) yeuky stuff!

5. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Funny you should say that as I have not yet found a treat more interesting than whats going on in the room. The trainer says everyweek that I need to buy something that is so interesting to him. We have tried fish for dogs, ham, cheese, paddywhack, chicken and beef nothing works! If you have any suggestions and recipes for treats that would be fab xx

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Liver Cake:

Ingredients

* 1 lb. liver (preferably lamb)
    * 2 eggs
    * 1 whole garlic bulb
    * 12 ozs. self-raising flour
    * 1/2 pint water
    * A strong air freshener

Method

1. Pulverise the raw liver, eggs and garlic in a blender or food processor.
    2. Add flour and mix.
    3. Once blended, add water or milk.
    4. Pour mixture into a line cake tin (7-8 inches).
    5. Cook at gas mark 5/180 degrees for half an hour or until the mixture is firm to touch.
    6. Cut into squares when cool.

7. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

I make this aswell but use Organic Porridge oats instead of flour n water!!! Sadie loves it as a treat. I only use it for training at the mo.

She was like a bloodhound when I was making it last night, she was nearly diving in the dishwasher, we're I'd placed the dirty mixing bowl!! :D

8. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

I made liver cake once, never again I was gagging the whole time, the smell is revolting the dogs loved it though :)
    I occassionaly make them biscuits and they get a cake for their birthday.
    I have a couple of dog cook books, but there are lots of recipes online.
    There was a thread about cooking for you dog on here a while ago i'll have a look and see if I can find it for you.

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-health-nutrition/6456-homemade-dog-biscuit-recipes.html#post138236
    This is the one I was thinking it has some recipes to try

#8 Terrier Fan, Aug 3, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2009
  9. nhamblin84

they all sound great!! how do you make the biscuits???

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

11. nhamblin84

excellent! thanks :D

12. Changes

Changes PetForums VIP

Really simple this one

Pigs, lambs or beef liver

Usually it is already cut into strips

place on a baking tray
    Bake in a moderate oven for about 2 hours - usually it becomes quite brittle and snaps really easily once cool it can be stored in plastic bags and doesn't smell too bad

13. My-Terriers

My-Terriers PetForums Member

I have a doggy recipe book! Its crammed with recipes for dogs treats! I'l fish it out and let you know the title!

I used to feed my old lab (who was an awful weight carrier) carrots when Boo had chews! He loved them!

14. hollie.hocks

hollie.hocks PetForums Member

Hi,

how are your two lovely beagles doing?

I made liver cake for alfie once and yes he did absolutely adore it and it definitely helped with his recall. I did gag though and haven't made it since!

I've also heard someone else mention they have made sardine cake which I might give a go, Alf also likes a little nibble on a ginger biscuit, again it has quite a strong smell. We do have a dog recipe book, bought for the 'cook' in the house as a pressie from Alf!

One good thing with the liver cake, it makes loads and freezed really well, he currently has bags of frozen lamb treats in the freezer, he has more food than us in there!

Pets at Home also do a range which includes hot dogs, they look just like the ones you'd buy in a tin, they're quite whiffy! My partner and I were just saying, if only that shop did a loyalty card!!!

H x

15. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

LOL it took me a while to work out what you meant by air freshner - I read it and thought surely thats poisonous lol then it clicked they stink ;-)

I also found this webite the recipes look great

Homemade Dog Treat and Cookie Recipes

16. Savahl

Savahl Guest

cant bare liver myself so i make sardine bread and tuna bread....easy and simple!

Quick as a flash Tuna Bread
    1 tin of tuna in oil (if you have brine, drain it and add some oil or water to the mix)
    80g plain flour
    1 egg
    sprinkle of garlic powder
    Put the tuna, garlic powder and egg in a bowl, mix with a spoon. Then add the flour gradually until it all binds together (add less or more flour as you need).

Pour onto a microwaveable plate and put in the microwave for 4 minutes, turn onto a wire rack to cool and cut into small training sized cubes.

Also He loves these :
    Naturediet Nuggets

1 tub of naturediet (available most pet shops, its a natural complete wet food) ideally use something other than original or tripe as they stink when cooking.
    1 garlic clove
    1 egg
    100ml water
    160g flour (use a gluten free option for gluten intolerant)

Add naturediet, garlic, egg and water to processor, blitz and start to add flour until it becomes a thick cake mixture. Spread on a baking tray and cook at 180oC for about 20 mins. If your dog likes it quite moist then use once cool but I then cut into small squares and pop back in the oven at a reduced temp for about 15 mins so they become crunchy nuggets.

#16 Savahl, Aug 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 4, 2009
  17. Beagle Mafia

Beagle Mafia Guest

Although I should add those treats should be used in moderation the dogs look HUGE!!!

18. nhamblin84

Thank you everyone!!

I have brought some liver and tuna and am going to give some of them a go!

I think they would eat anything if they thought they werent allowed it :)

They are fine thank you - hope Alf is too :)

If pets at home had a rewards card I would be laughing!!! :D spend silly amounts in that place!!!

19. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

I have a little cottage industry going with hand made dog treats - I sell them to local doggy people who want tasty and honest ingredient treats, but don't want their kitchens to stink!! My treats include Bovril Thrills, Halitosis Halos, Little Livers, Mutz Nutz (peanut butter) and Banana Honeys. I use basic recipes and then experiment with extras.

Try using rye flour or rolled oats in place of SR white flour.

The other day I made doggy pupcorn by adding melted dog choc to freshly popped corn! Not good for training, but an unusual special treat

20. smskar

smskar PetForums Member

My dogs love these:

Wheatless Tuna Biscuits
    · 1 cup yellow cornmeal
    · 1 cup oatmeal
    · 1/4 tsp. baking powder
    · 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
    · 1 small can tuna in oil , undrained
    · 1/3 cup water
    Grind oatmeal in processor to make a coarse flour. Set aside in small bowl. In food processor, whirr tuna with the oil, and water then add all the rest of ingredient. Pulse til mixture forms a ball, Pulse to knead for 2-3 minutes. Knead on floured surface till it forms a soft ball of dough. Roll out to a 1/8"-1/4" thickness. Cut into shapes. Bake on lightly greased cookie sheet , at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

Thanks

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice