Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone know where...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Staysee, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

...I can report a farmer too?

See, just about 5mins drive from me [maybe 3mins? haha]

Theres this farm which worries us....his sheep escape quite often, which ya know sheep will just find anywhere to escape from but its more often then you'd like

Also his farm runs alongside one of the mainly used roads in and out of the village....buses use it, the occasional lorry or truck...and to his land, its about.....7ft high maybe? Possibly 8ft, anywhos....he has cows in this field and there is NO security keeping them from falling into the road, theres the few bits of string attatching from branch to branch.

Its not like its hard for them to get through, there are gaps between the trees/hedges enough for even a cow to fit/brake its way through

Is there anywhere we can report this farm, cos we're sure it wont be long til a cow or a calf falls from the.....top land bit XD and either fall into the road and die [hopefully it'd kill it outright, wouldnt want it to suffer] or maybe it could fall onto a car, crushing people inside, or possibly infront of a bus or delivery lorry and cause an accident....anyways!

Also, the farm is a TIP...my dad went there before to find out if they were missing a cat he had found one knocked down and said it was a real mess and in total disrepair. We hope he doesnt treat his animals the way he treats the property and its land!

Surely he must secure his land around the edges so no animals can escape or fall off his land?

2. hazyreality

hazyreality PetForums VIP

Maybe RSPCA but they may not do anything. Other option might be DEFRA, check the website, might be something on there.

*Heidi*

3. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

That sounds pretty bad! Sorry I can't help, just didn't want to read and run.Hope you can do something, good on you for careing:001_smile:

4. If the animals are not kept to a required standard you could try the rspca.
    As for the fencing maybe the local council would be best placed to advise.

5. morsel

morsel PetForums Senior

Where I live, the sheep pass over the road to graze. It's quite normal. You'll find them on the road. Alot of roads and rights of way are cutting through someones land. Often it's not as if the road was there first. It's one of the nice things about rural England. It's not Brans Hatch. Stop messing with the countryside. Farming is hard work. Let it be. I'm sure your delivery will make it in one piece.

6. Heck yes! I never looked at it like that! look yorkshire way! the sheep roam freely - they are wise to the traffic - but you drive accordingly!

7. blackdiamond

blackdiamond PetForums Senior

Sheep can escape & roam about BUT cows should be kept in secured fencing.

If a cow does get out & cause an accident & god forbid its a fatality then the farmer will get prosecuted but it's not nice for the family of the deceased to have to grieve over something that should never have happened if the farmer was being responsible in the first case.

Maybe contact your local Police & ask them what you can do.

XxX

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

RSPCA but doubtful they would actually do something. Maybe local council or police if he's letting the cows roam free

9. frosty2010

frosty2010 PetForums Member

Are you sure its just a bit of string? more than likely its electrical wire looks a bit like white tape.

We use it for the horse as it has a patch in the field with the cows.

10. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

First of all, excuse me?!?!?!

Im not annoyed at sheep getting into the roads, i care for them as people drive idioticly through the country lanes here and there are some pretty sharp corners!

How am i messing with the countryside when i want to make sure animals are well cared for, kept safe and nothing causes an accident?

And what the hell? My delivery?!?!??! seriously?

11. Staysee

Staysee PetForums VIP

If its not string it bits of rope.

Its red/orange and i see it blowing in the wind if im going by where some bits are hanging down and there isnt string/rope in every gap

Thanks everyone for you replies, i did thing of DEFRA as we had problems before with another farm [which turned out innocent once investigated but it caused concern at the time] but wernt sure if they'd be right, but i'll look on thier site and see what they say

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice