Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone know what is wrong with my dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sienna Nicholas, Jan 15, 2021.

1. Sienna Nicholas

Sienna Nicholas PetForums Newbie

1864AB81-E89C-4A3D-9AAB-39ACCD54124F.jpeg
    This is my Chihuahua Buster. He is 4 years old and recently we’ve been having a few problems with him and think he may have some kind of problem, but we really aren’t sure what and were hoping they may be someone who may be able to make any suggestions. We are going to take him to the vets but at the moment that is quite hard with the virus.
    So, first of all he seems very distant when you look at him or call him, it’s as if he is looking right through you and doesn’t know you’re there or can’t see you and he doesn’t respond at all, he does this very frequently. And the second thing is that we take him on nice walks to the beach and we let him off the lead, which most of the time is absolutely fine, but there have been a few incidents including today where he was running around off the lead having fun and then suddenly starts running up the beach toward the exit looking frightened and tries to run off into the road!!, and when we call him, again it’s as if he either doesn’t know we’re there or he will look straight at us and really frantically run away from us as fast as he can as if we are complete strangers, and it takes forever to try to get him back without frightening him more. (Also there would be no other dogs or anything around him to scare him off, it would just be completely random) We thought maybe this could be an anxiety thing? At first we thought he just really wanted to go home but then we noticed the weird not recognising us in a frantic way, and are wondering if it is more than that.
    If anyone has any ideas please let me know! Thanks :)

2. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Could be an eyesight issue but really he would need to be seen by a vet, are you in the UK because most vet practices are now seeing non emergencies.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I definitely wouldn't let him off lead untl you know what's wrong though. The last thing you want is him bolting.

4. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

I'm not a vet, and I'm sure there's more experienced on here that could say yes or no
    But
    Do dogs have absence seizures?
    I can only go by experience with humans, but it seems similar, the looking through you, or, a state of lights on no one home
    Then when coming to
    A state of confusion, tears, shaking, wanting to get away etc any combination or just singley

5. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d definitely push for a vet check and keep him on lead or harness and long line so he’s safe in the meantime.

Burrowzig, Torin. and Sarah H like this.
  6. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

yes dogs do have absence seizures, that's what I was thinking.

He needs to go to the vets. They are still working and will see this as more urgent than routine ops and vaccinations so get him there asap.

Lurcherlad, mrs phas and Torin. like this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

My first thought is some kind of seizure activity is happening.

8. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

It could possibly be eyesight failing or hearing failing or even both at the same time. Get those checked and if both are good see if you vet will get an MRI scan done on him for possibly seizure activity as previous posters have advised. One of my cavi's had several incidents that you describe before his first serious full blown fit. He also had a 'terror' seizure at one point where he ran and hid in a corner in fear of something that only he could see. If he is happy off lead then get yourselves a long biotherm lunge lead so that at least he can have some enjoyable time running about without you worrying about him running off and not coming back or worse. Hope you get him sorted soon.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice