Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone know of any Samoyed puppies to buy? Or have any tips for looking?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by Dan96DogLover, May 29, 2018.

1. Dan96DogLover

Dan96DogLover PetForums Newbie

Me and my girlfriend really badly want to get a Samoyed puppy as our first dog together, we both have degrees in animal care and she works for a pet nutrition company and I have had a family dog and we are just mad about dogs in particular a Samoyed but we don't really know how to go about looking where we might get one from?! Any help would be massively appreciated!

2. Northpup

Northpup PetForums Senior

Hi there!
    I’m not hugely familiar with samoyeds but they are lovely looking dogs and this must be really exciting!
    Where to source a dog, you have a few options.
    Does it have to be a puppy? I’m not sure if there are any breed specific rescues around as they aren’t hugely popular but they aren’t exactly rare either so look around at those if you would be happy for a young adult or even adult Samoyed. Also maybe the sled dog breed/malamute type rescues may have some? Try ringing around. Breed specific rescues could even have puppies or very young dogs :)
    If it has to be a puppy, you should go on the Kennel club website and search for recognised breeders, you can try the website champ dogs or pet forums, preloved etc however I wouldn’t hugely recommend these last two as though there are some responsible breeders on here there is also a lot of byb and puppy farms in disguise.
    You can also get older dogs from here but if you go this route make sure to look really carefully into the seller. You can always ask on here for advice discerning whether they seem genuine or not :) although it is hard not to fall in love with the first puppy, you don’t want to support byb and potentially get a unhealthy dog.
    I had a quick search so this may not be 100% but hopefully someone who knows more will come along soon. these are the Health tests available for samoyeds and good breeders always health test. Again not sure which of these are the most important etc but you should definately work out what results etc) hip dysphasia of the parents you need to know before buying one of their pups
    • Progressive Retinal Atrophy X-linked (PRAX1)
    • Retinal Dysplasia / Ocularskeletal Dysplasia (OSD)
    • Hereditary Nephritis HN)
    • Degenerative Myelopathy (DM)
    If you have any more questions then just ask :!

Dan96DogLover likes this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Maybe start with the Kennel Club?

Or breed rescue?

4. Northpup

Not pet forums lol * pets4homes

5. Northpup

There’s actually these rescues available which i am surprised at the amount!
    Here you go if interested d
    1A5B07CE-38DC-4A53-8EAA-DB1371231EDB.png

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

@Born to Boogie hopefully will see this. Has owned Samoyed for years and possibly may help to explain about the breed more and knows certain breeders too.

7. Dan96DogLover

Dan96DogLover PetForums Newbie

Thank you! This is really helpful!!! I'll have a look into the different places you said about! We really do want a puppy, but obviously if its really difficult to get a puppy we will look into young adults too! Oh okay yes, we were going to make a note of all the most common genetic problems like that so we can check so thanks I'll put those on the list!!

8. Born to Boogie

Born to Boogie PetForums VIP

11503277-FD14-4AB7-9847-F6034AC34831.jpeg
    This is my Mrs Bumface;) She’s from a breeder in the North West.
    They are a bit of a marmite breed, noisy, energetic, independent, stubborn, true free spirits.
    If you go to my website, (needs some updating), you’ll find links to the club web sites

http://www.astrolyka.com/

The link to the Northern Sam Society doesn’t seem to be working:confused:

Contact the club secretaries and they may be able to help.

Where abouts are you? There are plenty of shows on over the summer where you can meet lots of Samoyeds and their people.
    Samoyeds are not as plentiful as they used to be, you’ll have to wait for the right one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice