Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

does anyone know anything about scuba diving?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cats galore, Aug 25, 2013.

1. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

my son has been to visit his dad who he hasn't seen in years and years. the idiot took him scuba diving in the sea and my son had a panic attack under the water. he could so easily have drowned. i've only found this out off facebook. i'm absolutely fuming to say the least. i always thought though that you had to be trained to go scuba diving or at least have a few lessons before going into the sea. does anyone know if this is true?

2. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

You should do some basic lessons before diving, there are different levels to determine the depth and circumstances at which you can dive...

It was very irresponsible of him to just chuck some gear on his son and hope for the best, thats for sure! Is he a PADI trainer himself??

3. cats galore

i thought so. he is such an idiot. my son has rheumatoid arthritis in his legs and hands, he has no idea about diving and has never been before, then he takes him out into the sea and he has a massive panic attack while under the water. i only found this out on facebook. i am fuming:mad2:. only good thing is i think my son has realised for himself that his sperm donor is a pr*ck

4. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

My Brother in law is a PADI Instructor and he always takes his pupils to a Swimming pool where he teaches the basics - how the equipment works, to properly fit the equipment, then after checking that the pupils have properly fitted them on, he will then go on to how to breathe through the mask etc.

He will not let anyone in the pool before he feels confident that they have understood what he he has told them.

I can well imagine what his response would be if he heard that someone had endangered another person's life like this. :mad:

5. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Exactly like my brother ^^ Open water course is generally done in a pool so any panic attacks/problems can be dealt with more easily.

How stupid of your ex. Hope the lad is ok.

6. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

I'm not surprised you're fuming. Your ex was very, very irresponsible. Scuba diving is a dangerous sport. Even experienced divers can run into trouble or worse :(

Not that I'm advocating violence or anything, but if that was my ex he'd be singing soprano for the rest of his sorry life :mad:

7. cats galore

i asked him if josh had been given any basic training in a pool etc. this was his reply: ''he had all the basic instruction anyone needs as I wouldn't without that.
    The reason Josh had any issues at all was because he had a panic attack and as you know they are unpredictable.
    He was at far less risk than when driving or even downhill biking.''

this is a dig at me because josh used to do downhill biking until his legs couldn't take it anymore.
    my son has learning difficulties and aspergers and he told me he ''did do a bit of sumat wen i first got in the sea but i haven't got a clue'' (his words in a text).
    what sort of fool takes a young man with these difficulties into the sea and expects him to learn what he needs to know in a matter of minutes. nothing sinks in with josh at the best of times.
    this is another couple of comments on the facebook page that i was reading when i found out about it:
    ''Bet the emergency services love you especially after last time too''

''We didn't get that far this time!''

then they wonder why i'm angry and upset by it.
    the last comment is ''if you have an issue with...''
    i felt like replying ''well of course i have an issue with it you stupid person, no wonder i got shut of you when i did'' but with a few more extra words thrown in:mad2:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice