Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone here use a sheepdog whistle?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by havoc, Mar 2, 2017.

1. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I can't whistle - well I can do the fingers in the mouth thing but when we're out for a walk that isn't so wonderful when I've picked up a muddy ball. My dog reacts wonderfully to a whistle but fiddling for one on a chain round my neck isn't great. Does anyone know how hard it is to learn to use a sheepdog type of whistle?

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Yes I do, I spent three months practising as I drove up and down the country. When I could play Happy Birthday to you on it, I composed my go left, go right, stop and recall tunes. I love it.

3. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

How difficult was it? My initial thought is that I don't need to be just quite as proficient as you but I bet I'll want to be in time :)

4. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Well it took loads of time before I got any sound at all out of it.

You could attach a whistle to a retractable key ring like several people I know attached to their shoulder.

5. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

That's what I thought but it would be SO useful if I could learn.
    Yeah I know. I have an ordinary whistle on a lanyard and it's good enough - but good enough isn't good enough when there's a chance to do better :)

6. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Very difficult, I can't do it, quickest person I knew to become proficient at it had been a flute player, she said it helped. Lots of people I know have become very successful, but I'm a giver upper. Good luck with it.

7. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Oooooh - I played the flute for a short while at school. We all got to try instruments and I could get a noise out of it so had to take it up. If it is a similar technique at least I know where to start. Ok, so it was nearly 50 years ago but I'm an optimist :)

Jenny Olley likes this.
  8. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

I've had one for years and tried many times to be able to use it but have never mastered it. I can get a bit of sound from it now and then but not reliably.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice