Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone have sisal carpet?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Psygon, May 1, 2017.

1. Psygon

Psygon Yoshi Tonks! :-)

We're looking for some flooring options in our house, and exploring a couple of things. One of the flooring types I'm quite taken with is sisal - and just wondered if anyone has sisal carpet and knows how well it stands up against cat claws?

It always seems to last well on scratching posts... but just not sure what a whole room in it would be like :)

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I am sure the cats would love a floor covered in sisal, LOL! :D I think they would treat it as one big scratch pad and threads would start to come loose fairly soon. Just my opinion. :D

3. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine PetForums Senior

I agree; mine would have it up in a matter of minutes.

Stone, tile or hardwood are the three best options in a place with cats, and carpeting has far more health drawbacks than simply being a magnet for scratching.

4. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

My sister had it on the stairs. It stretches and is tough under foot. I have 2 large mats . The cats love them for clawing. They were made to fit. image.jpg

5. Psygon

So this is what I thought, but then when reading some stuff online it seemed to be recommended for people with cats :eek:

So figured I would ask :)

6. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I wouldn't have it on a big area as you would find it uncomfortable to sit on and isn't warm like ordinary carpet. You have to get it stretched back when it sags. Just a note that it's akward to clean if they poop or vomit on it.

chillminx and SpringDance like this.
  7. Psygon

So the majority will end up being wood floors (or painted floorboards... where are rooms are too wonky for wood floors). I just kinda want a carpet in a couple of rooms. Maybe we should just go wood everywhere we can and paint in the other rooms.

8. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

I would have a mix . How about a hall done in sisal but not stairs. I have plain carpet and have s few large offcuts in case we need to cut a bit out.

9. 1CatOverTheLine

1CatOverTheLine PetForums Senior

Personally, I wouldn't have carpet, though I do like rugs for the feeling of warmth they convey. There are countless options today with area rugs which are specifically machine washable, e.g.:

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Flooring-Rugs-Area-Rugs/Machine-Washable/N-5yc1vZarjgZ1z0scra

though many larger (nine feet by twelve feet and up) area rugs will require a commercial capacity washer.

10. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Gosh I forgot how much I liked Home Depot lol!!

A hardwearing twist would be my choice - not velvet - but fairly short pile with flecks in the colouring.

That way if the cats did scratch you can trim easily and pull the odd tuft out too.

Psygon and bluecordelia like this.
  11. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I also love the look of sisal but was advised against it by the man in the carpet shop for the main reasons that @bluecordelia advised; hard to clean up "accidents", the cats like to scratch it and also they get their claws stuck in it! Personally I like real wooden floors, especially parquet, but OH says they feel colder than carpet (underfloor heating a bonus!). They do apparently attract dust bunnies though.

12. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

My two love it to scratch but as it's to stop dirt tracking in I don't mind. A good old fleck in a carpet hides a multitude of sins!

huckybuck likes this.
  13. Psygon

Maybe I will go for a mix... the room I'm thinking about putting carpet in is multipurpose and big (10m x 6m). One end is our living room, the other end has my computer in and the cat play area (basically an empty space...). I wanted carpet because the cats throw themselves about like loons jumping for toys etc. Maybe I could carpet the cat side...

Bit of a mess at the moment as we have just had the ceiling replastered :)

Current carpet has been down 25 years and has lasted well... but due to various bits of work we've had done, it's been cut into pieces!

20170501_173011.jpg

huckybuck likes this.
  14. Psygon

Hoping to get parquet in one of our rooms :) Really like it and think it would look stunning.

bluecordelia likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice