Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone have joint pains??

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Apr 18, 2011.

1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Or any sort of joint problems and manage with dogs still?

I have a doctors appointment on weds to be referred to wherever it is I need to be referred to and I am really hopeing it is something that is going to be manageable :eek:

Since I have been about 18 I use to get a pain in my knee. Wasn't ever so bad I can't walk (well it hasn't been yet) but sort of like so I had to limp a wee while (like a few yards) and then it was fine again.

But it has been getting worse and now I get it in my elbows and wrists too. Again never been so bad I can't walk but I have had to let go Dave's lead once but now I wear a belt and the leads are hooked to me just in case, though that hasn't happened since.

My knee's only use to hurt when it was cold. And only when I had been walking.
    Now they hurt the first time I go out the house and its near enough every day. Not so bad I have to limp but its still sore.

I am scared that I will have to stop walking as much. I love my job walking dogs and I want to expand but obviously I can't do that if my doctor or whoever I am refered to says I shouldn't walk as far.

My dogs get a good walk and off lead run each day, and I do plenty of training, I have agility once a week and so far my knee only been sore there once but I just get on with it because its for my dog. My knee was in agony last night when I was out with Dixie but well I couldn't really stop her walk in the middle of some random field! Lol

Even just now, typing on my laptop my left elbow almost feels like I have strained it :(

I also get a really bad pain in the bottom of my back that I have to hold my breath so as not to move.

I hope this doctor comes up with something.

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I hope the doc can sort you out something. Maybe just take some cod liver oil supplements or those funny ones specially for dodgy joints in the mean time??
    I think alot of joint problems like arthritis are helped by doing little and often and not giving them a chance to seize up so dog walking would help!;)
    I have self inflicted bad joints..coz Im too fat..:eek:

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I have been eating more tuna (the only fish I can eat) and tried the cod liver oil tabs but I need to find some smaller ones as they are too big for me to swallow (lol wuss I know)
    Im overweight a bit but I wasn't when it started so I don't think that could be it.

4. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I have chronic joint pain, since I was in a car accident last year- physiotherapy is helping, loosing weight is helping and there's always glucosamine which can help. I do have some days where all I can do for the dogs is two short walks around the block, but then the OH takes them out for longer in the evening. Most days I just take it slowly and now that Amber is great with recall and Nero is improving, they can be offlead and I can use the ball launcher to make up for the slower pace of walks.

I wouldn't worry too much, there are always ways and means to overcome these things, I think you'll be fine to carry on the dogwalking :)

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I walk 3 dogs that arnt that good on the lead to put it mildly and ive had a slipped disc that has let to degenerative something or other, i find walking helps keep the core muscles strong which helps stop any more discs slipping its had been mentioned me having an op but ime putting that off as who would walk them while i was out of action, some days my back is worse than others but they have to be walked so i put up with it, the summer is better for me.

6. niki

niki PetForums Senior

Im 24 and I get terrible pains in my hips, knees and ankles. I have a family history of arthritis to thank for that. I take glucosamine sulphate for it and it really help but the tablets r like bullets.... First time I was given them I asked where was I meant to put it?!:D but they do make a gel that apparently works well too. I only have one doggy, a little shih tzu, so doesn't really affect our walks too much. I just suffer afterwards!

Hope the doc can help x

7. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I've recently been refereed back to my orthopedic consultant due to knees failing apart and stiffness, swelling and constant pain.

I also get pain in elbows, wrists and thighs. Right now my fore arms feel bruised and tender.

It's impacting on my work and when I get back from walking bell my knees are swollen and red hot. I'm only 30 but ive been warned I'll need knee replacements one day :(

8. CAstbury

CAstbury PetForums VIP

Herniated discs in my spine plus degeneration of 7 discs that havent as yet herniated and I usually manage.

Had an operation 5 weeks ago that has eased it tremendously but walking at a gentle pace was always the best thing - otherwise I seized up.

9. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I get knee pains when walking up a hill or stairs, and I've had a pain in my left hip for years, it's like toothache doesn't stop me walking but at times it's that bad I could cry.

10. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

I was diagnosed with arthritis 5 years back..Was given diflofenac anti inflammatories until it made my stomach bleed and the doctor took me off it.

I used to get in my car bum first and lift my legs in with my hands...I was not looking forward to future life.Climbing stairs was a nightmare.

I continued walking my dogs if slowly 2 miles a day.I now have no problems whatsoever and the latest doctor said I could not have had arthritis???

I've no idea, but I'm pleased to say I now have no problems from that quarter...got lots of new health stuff now though :( ...Ah well...can't win 'em all..:001_smile:

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Thank you :)

I've walked a fair bit today but Ive been sat down mostly for the last good few hours and my knees are still aching :(

I do sometimes get that my fore arm feels like I have pulled a muscle too. I just want it all to go away :(

12. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

in my elbows...(causing pain in my forearms) and in my thumbs..when we had the two dogs i could not walk them both on my own as i couldn't hold the lead with my left arm because of the pain...i have had to wear a strap on my arm for the last 14 days, but no better so it looks like i'm gunna have to have the steroid injections:cryin:

i have been taking cuprofen(ibuprofen) max strength on and off for years now...but i have stopped as a friend who i work with had serious damage to his liver because of these drugs

i would think the doctor may do blood tests if you have not already had them

green lipped messel extraxt is supposed to be brilliant for arthritis...don't take them myself as i am not sure if they would help me with my problem

hope you start to feel more comfy soon

xx

13. 0nyxx

0nyxx PetForums VIP

I have osteo arthritis & fybromyalgia still manage with the dogs but cant walk as far as I used too, I need to take a big dose of pain killers before I walk them too!

14. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I have arthritis and get good days and bad days. Some days I can walk others I have problems. I've been like this for twenty years and I'm still walking my dog, I've just learned to recognise when I've walked far enough. It's always more difficult in winter because the cold makes the pain and stiffness worse. Chronic pain is bad but you do learn to live with it.

15. cravensmum

cravensmum PetForums VIP

I have Rhumatoid Arthritis and have had it 20 years,I manage ok,I have bad days & good,but the dog always comes first and always gets walked.

I am on medication to control the Arthritis,but I also have to manage my lifestyle.I can't do alot of the things I would like to do,and I have to walk mainly on the flat,even a small hill is sore on my knees.

I buy leads that can be worn round the waist to save my hands.

I also work full time,and have Arthritis in most of my joints.:mad:

16. haeveymolly

Diflofenac is very good but very hard on the stomach whe i slipped my disc i was given them and i ended up with a stomache ulcer.
    Getting into the car like that bum first them puttin legs in is how everyone problems are not should do it.

17. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I spent 8 months in agony with joint pains on my right side.. investigated to the hilt.. they believe it was a viral infection.. :eek:
    Then i have my back problem Im just waiting for my xrays to come back for.. I went on the push bike yesterday for a ride.. I was expecting to be in agony today.. was quite pleased I could move today just a little knee ache.. But possibly purely from me not using it in the way I did on the bike..
    Oh yeah and went I got on it today. My bum was killing.. :lol: so obviously my ass forgot it used to be in a saddle daily.. :lol: No pain no gain.. :D

Also Arthritis can go through stages where it is niggling you and then for ages you dont suffer.. I can't think what this is all called... But remember discussing it..

I use diclofenac for my back and co codamol..
    And my goodness I hoe I get no tummy troubles from it.. I dont need any more probs..

Only time it interferes is when I can't move cause of my back.. but generally if I can't move when I wake after some tabs and slowly getting started I can usually manage a walk later on that day..

Im told if you have arthritis that keeping going prevent you stiffening up and suffering severe pain. But rheumatoid arthritis exercise can aggravate it..

18. haeveymolly

Just be carefull with the diclofenac its dynamite on the stomache.

19. XxZoexX

XxZoexX PetForums VIP

I have trouble with one of my knees when its cold.. Its more dull ache and im sure its connected to the way i sit at my desk at work, I have trouble with my thumb and wrist if we have a really busy week at work ( from the typing i dont have a sordid job lol)
    I do find the cold sets it all off.

20. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

I had to take omeprazole when on diclofenic and tramadol as it literally burnt my stomach.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice