Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone have a microchip cat flap?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by lulubel, Oct 1, 2013.

1. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

I have a bit of a problem with my cats that has resulted in me needing to give one cat full access to the outside (at least during the day) but not the others. I've been looking at microchip cat flaps on Zooplus, but I'm a bit confused by some of the reviews. One reviewer has said you can restrict which cats get in, but can't restrict which cats get out. I would have thought a microchip flap would only let "approved" chips through it in either direction.

Can anyone who has one of these confirm exactly how they work?

2. jltaylor

jltaylor PetForums Senior

Hi I have a Pet Porte microchip cat flap and yes they restrict who comes in but not who goes out.
    I too needed one to stop certain cats getting out and I have switched my flap round so that the chip reader is on the inside and the outside will let any cat in. I have "waterproofed" the electrics on the outside with clear bathroom sealant and some plastic from clear plastic folder wallets which enables me to use all the buttons on the top.
    This works well in that my Siberian cannot get out but the downside is that I have had a couple of random cats in but when the are faced with my 5 and the fact there is no escape they haven't ventured in again.:)

3. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

Thanks. That one isn't going to work for me, then. The main reason for building the enclosure in the first place was to keep them away from the local aggressive tom cat, so I can't have other cats getting in.

4. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

I have solved that problem by buying 2 petporte flaps. One is in the back door in the garden room, stopping strange cats from getting in, the second is in the wall between the garden room, and is placed back to front. This flap stops any of my own cats who has not yet been programmed into the flap from going into the garden room.

That way, only cats programmed into the inner flap have access to the garden room and the 'regular' cat flap and, thus, to the garden.

5. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

I have a SureFlap but can only restrict coming in.

SureFlap are bringing out the Dual Scan which restricts in and out, microchip detection both sides. It was due to be on sale Autumn time.

I dropped them an email a couple of weeks ago and their reply was, no release date as yet but likely to be on sale end September/beginning October, I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's going to be very soon.

6. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

I hope they bring out the Dual Scan one soon as I want one like that if I get my own place next year...

7. catgeoffrey

catgeoffrey PetForums VIP

The dual scan is due to be released in "Autumn" so should be released soon!

8. lulubel

lulubel PetForums Senior

Now, that will be useful. Not sure I have any way of creating the 2 flap setup that Jiskefet has.

9. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

I reversed my SureFlap for a couple of days whilst I was home to see how it would work out, we got a big tabby visitor, lucky we were home as he wouldn't have been able to get out again. So I wouldn't suggest doing this.

I really hope the dual scan will be on sale soon as I'm having to separate Frank and Seb from Roman while I'm not at home. The cat flap is in the backdoor in the kitchen so Frank and Seb have access to kitchen and dining room and Roman has the rest of the house. They all get on well and I really don't want to keep them apart.

10. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

Interest registered, hopefully should get an email when it's finally released

:)

11. sashski

sashski PetForums Senior

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice