Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone have a kennel for their dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by kim645, May 4, 2010.

1. kim645

kim645 PetForums Member

Hi Guys,

Just wondering if anyone puts their dog in a kennel if you are out etc. We are thinking about getting a kennel with a run for the pups, just if we are ever out means they can still get outside and be in the kennel or the run.
    How did your dog take to it/how did you get him/her used to it.

Kim

2. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

have a kennel within a large paved run in the garden.
    Harry will only stay in their if he has a person in with him...pref me.
    He has never ventured in the kennel and it is now used as storage!
    Aytime he was left he did not se
    ttle and at one point started destoying the run.
    Kennels r fab as long as they r safe, secure and ur dog is used to them.

3. RAINYBOW

RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

I am just thinking of putting one in for Oscar, might get a shed and use half for bike storage and half for him with a run attached.

There is always a couple of hours after his walk when he needs to dry and de mud somewhere and i am fed up of it being all over my kitched floor :eek: so i thought an outside area might be easier, he usually sleeps for a bit after his morning walk anyway so it's just somewhere for him to dry off really.

Also thinking ahead if i ever have to return to part time work away from the house i would like to think he could chose to be outside or in ;)

Saying all that when we got our old GSD X my hubby built an amazing run in the garden attached to a converted shed with the plan being she would spend the day in it while we were at work and she never liked it :rolleyes:

4. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Mine are kennelled, it's a timberbuild kennel, with a half height box. Unless it's insulated or heated, these are better, they maintain the heat down at the level of the dogs, rather than allowing it to dissipate upwards. My two were house dogs originally, but due to a change in circumstances, they now live outside, and have adapted fine. I spend as much, if not more, time with them as I did when I worked full time for an employer. I've got a paved area fenced off for them adjacent to the kennel, so they can go in and out, and sleep in the sunshine or shade, in fact, I'm just about to go and have a tea break and sit with them :)

5. kim645

kim645 PetForums Member

I really think its a good idea, i just wasn't sure how many people did it and though of it as a good thing rather than bad.
    They will only be there during the day, never at night and will still be in the house at night.
    Kim

6. corrine3

corrine3 PetForums VIP

We have a kennel for during the day but Glen hasnt been in it since December, just circumstances really. Going to get him used to it again though as I think it's better for him to be outside with fresh air and we are thinking on getting a second dog so think it would be better for them. We have a shed with a wee bed box in it and then outside part.

7. Zaros

Zaros Pet Forums, P/resident Evil

Yes. It's called the house! :lol:
    We have a 300 square metre compound which incorporates part of the house so that they have free access to either area at any time of the day or night. The compound was originally built to restrict the freedom of one of our dogs after his surgery to correct hip dysplasia.

Oscar plaintively staring through the steel mesh at his long lost freedoms.

[​IMG]

But at least we built him an Igloo!:thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice