Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone else....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Frenchie79, Aug 23, 2013.

1. Frenchie79

Frenchie79 PetForums Junior

Get annoyed by other people when walking your dog?

Today I had two situations where I became annoyed by people on a dog walk!

We have a french bulldog who we have had for around 8 weeks, he is just over a year old and has a few issues we are trying to smooth out. He is going for a one to one with a dog trainer next week!

The first situation was a lady was waiting for us to cross the road so she could say hello to the dog, he is very friendly but I am still cautious about things. She was roughing him up and holding onto his feet, which when people rough him up it encourages him to begin mouthing. If he does this at home we either yelp or stop playing and ignore him until he becomes calm. So when he was doing it I told him off, to which she said oh it's fine don't worry we had boxers so I am use to it. She was then chatting away to me about different things when my dog decided to pick up a thorny stick, I normally exchange a treat/toy for the item and ask him to give. This means he is exchanging it for something of higher value! Before I even got that far she had bent down and was then telling my dog to give(which he wouldn't as she was yanking at the stick), and then prised his mouth open and took the stick. She then began chuntering that he had clearly never been taught anything! I was so annoyed by her behaviour that I just walked away!

The next incident was when I had my dog on the green which is really quiet, I had him on the retractable lead teaching him recall and playing a game of ball. I saw a man walking his dog approaching the green so I put my dog back on a shorter lead. My dog decided to sit down and wouldn't budge ( this is an issue which I have posted about before when my dog sees another dog but it is improving and he is going for a one to one training session). He shouts across "is that a staffy bull with sticky up ears", I told him it wasn't and what breed my dog was to which he responded "can you hear him growling at my dog?", "no he's not growling at all"!

Sorry for the big rant! I just don't understand why people can't leave other people's dogs alone! When I used to walk my brothers American akita for him no one used to speak to me even though she was friendly,lol!

2. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

Yes I do so I try to go at times when it is quiet :)

:mad: Cheeky Bint! I would have said something along the lines 'You may have done that with your dogs but that does not give you the right to manhandle my dog like that!' and 'Sorry, I didn't realise I'd asked for your opinion'!

It's always OUR dog that's causing trouble, of course it is NEVER theirs!! Stupid eejit!! :mad:

3. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Yes, I often get annoyed by other people when out walking my dogs.
    They dont have to be doing anything either....just breathing and existing in my general vicinity is enough!!:D

4. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

I feel your pain while working on my dogs issues of barking at other dogs (she wants to play but is noisy about it)I have been told you need to

"give it a yank"
    this at a point when she was stood nicely watching the other dog. I treated her and the other owner said

"you might give that treat at the wrong point so just snap on the lead like this "
    he proceeded to slap the lead on his dogs back when it was stood nicely. I couldn't help myself I retorted

"the point was I didn't treat at the wrong time and your sort of treatment from her old owners has produced these problems"

I then walked off

5. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Good on you for putting the bloke in his place!

6. Frenchie79

I never stroke dogs that I don't know and would never dream of touching someone else's dog like she did! She said "oh I had seen one of these dogs recently when I was out and he was so nervous, I don't like dogs that are nervous"and then she proceeded to touch my dog all over which he will tolerate but why would you even think to do that to a strangers dog?!

7. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

She would be bitten if she tried that with Zak. I don't let anyone come near him when out. He's headshy and doesn't like people looming over him. I despair of other people, I really do :(

8. lilythepink

lilythepink PetForums VIP

I have a large bullmastiff bitch. Huge big softie but terrified of little fluffy dogs.

I can guarantee if I walk her people want to say hello.no probs, I really don;t mind, the more the better...until someone walks up with a fluffy dog on a lead and my dog tries to hide behind me, she shakes and her body language is pathetic.

People walk up with said fluffy dog and must be able to see how uncomfortable my dog is...and then..they stare my dog out right in the eye.poor dog.

Then.they stand in my way so I can't get past them and get the dog past them aswell.....now this really annoys me but trying to get it over to people to move is like talking to a brick wall.and plenty people do this. Odd!

9. sezeelson

sezeelson PetForums VIP

A resounding YES!

Other dogs never pee me off as its not their fault and only doing what is natural to them. I've given up with the nicely nicely approach and flat out tell people don't dare touch my dogs! I've had a fair bit of grief with Rossi being a big staffie X so when people ask if he's friendly etc. I flat out ignore them...

Obviously are people are being nice and respectful then I will be too! I'm not totally mean :p

10. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

The first encounter could have been partly avoided - next time stand in front of your dog and politely explain that you are training and your dog can't be petted. Then walk away :)

Remember it is up to *you* who gets to touch/greet/interact with YOUR dog.

11. Frenchie79

Yes it could partly I think I was just so shocked and taken aback by her behaviour!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice