Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone else take their dog on the train?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by PedigreeUK, May 28, 2010.

1. PedigreeUK

PedigreeUK PetForums Member

Does anyone else ever take their dog on train?

Wispa loves it - there's normally someone sitting nearby who wants to fuss her, and she often ends up being a conversation starter or brightening up the day of someone who loves dogs but can't have one of their own.

But I also regularly get asked if dogs are really allowed on trains and it can be difficult when a train is busy.

Has anyone else tried it, and how did you get on?

Janet

2. PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth

PawsandPurrs-Bridgnorth PetForums Member

I used to take my BC on the train to college with me as I was studying Animal Care we often needed dogs to practise grooming etc. I am going back 13 years mind, I havent done it since then.

3. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

I've done it many times, I find the best seats are the two sweaters because people won't sit next to you so much and gives room for the dogs to have space.

I recently traveled with Maya and Rusty together with my fiancee :lol: Rusty ended up on my lap and Maya kept trying to lay in the aisle. It's much easier with one dog :lol:

4. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

at least once a week i take the train with Shorty, she jumps on and lies down with no probs :)

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I do sometimes. It was much easier with 2 then 3 though. Esp as you are really only allowed to take 2 dogs on a train!!:eek:
    I have to lift all 3 on and off so I dont lose anybody down the gap then once they have thoroughly sniffed the floor they are happy to sit on the seat next to me!

6. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

Mine wouldn't walk when the train was moving one braced all four feet and looked confused!

It was very quiet a cornwall branch line so only about 10 people on the carriage so very quiet.

One of mine gets travel sick so was worried she might be ill. They were much happier sitting on my lap/the seat although not sure if allowed.

7. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

I take my friend's dog Storm on the train regularly - we go on trips to the beach and she love's looking out the window on the journey. I swear she knows the landmarks - she gets more excited the closer we get to our stop!

Attached Files:

8. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

wow we aint allowed dogs on our trains or buses at all unless its a guide dog.

9. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

where abouts are you??

we can have dogs on trains and buses provided they arent blocking the aisle or on the seats :)

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

2 is your limit. unless they are teeny and cute looking then people turn a blind eye!!:D
    My lot all get badly car sick but being on a train doesnt bother them in the slightest.

11. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

Perth Aust :)

12. chrissie-h

chrissie-h PetForums Junior

Maybe Scot-Rail aren't so bad after all huh? :p

13. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Zeus has been on the train a few times but he' not allowed on the bus :(

The policy says that dogs ae alowed on buses at the driver's discretion but seeing as Zeus is a big bad scary dog the driver keeps saying no :(

14. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

I travel by train with Merlin all the time, as I don't drive. My elderly mum lives about 100 miles away, so I make the journey about once every 2 months to visit her, plus I often take Merlin on the train locally to go on long country walks. I reckon we do about 1,000 miles a year on trains & buses.

Never had a problem really, although I do have to avoid other people with dogs but that's not very often.

Merlin prefers the carriage if we can get a table seat as he likes lying under the table, but if the train is crowded I opt for the fold-down seats between carriages as there's more space and it's not so stuffy or noisy there.

I've never allowed him up on the seats as you aren't meant to - but have seen people taking along a blanket to cover the seat.

We always get a nice reaction from the train staff, and in hot weather make sure to ask for a few ice cubes from the refreshments trolley so that Merlin can keep cool and non-thirsty without filling his bladder. I'm afraid we do get some very disapproving looks if he decides to cock his leg on the platform but there's not much you can do except hope it's not a full "Yellow River" wee! .....you know, the sort that cascades all the way over the platform in full view of everyone and seems to go on for about half an hour!! :lol:

15. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

i've never taken my dogs on the train, although i would like to but i can't as my dad doesnt like the idea of me takin them on the train. ah well.....

16. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I tried once he lay down and refused to move when it started moving poor thing. Didn't move a muscle for 2 hours. Needless to say I'm avoiding it all costs. He did cheer up the two little girls who were throwing tantrums until he got on then they were quiet and trying to talk to him. He loves the bus though and I've only ever had problems taking him on it in the halti when he's being annoying that day. They seem to think it's a muzzle

#16 Nicky10, May 28, 2010
    Last edited: May 28, 2010
  17. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

many many times with billy, only once so far with miso. Ive travelled a number of times with cats by train too! :)

18. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yes only for quite short journeys. He is fine, settles down after a bit of a sniff about. Once saw a man with a dog getting on a train and the dog fell right down between the gap it was awful!! :eek: Someone wanted to try and get down and pick the dog up but the man refused and pulled him back up by lead! The dog seemed fine however. There doesn't seem to be any bother about taking dogs on public transport here, as long as they are under control. He is great in the car as well but terrible by bus!! Won't settle at all.

19. cart5832002

cart5832002 PetForums Junior

lol, cant imagine even trying to take murphy and heidi on a train. bet they would love it tho, they love the car

20. Kaida

Kaida PetForums Junior

Yup, I take my cavalier on no problem. Never tried taking Chloe, yet. I've taken them both on the bus, though once the driver charged me for Chloe! Never been charged for either of them before or since, so I think it was just one grumpy driver.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice