Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anyone else have a cat like this?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by JordanRose, Nov 3, 2012.

1. JordanRose

JordanRose Master of the Whingey Cat.

Ever since I met Spooks he's not been a big eater. He likes his James Wellbeloved biscuits but will just graze on them throughout the course of the day. He seems to eat more during the night.

What I find really odd is that I can get his wet food out (currently Iams, but I'm thinking of starting on a bit of Raw feeding) and he doesn't bat an eyelid. Just sits and watches you :blink: He never finishes it off, either! I did mention it to the vet but he wasn't concerned as he apparently has 'perfect body condition' for his breed.

I'm used to cats who claw up my legs to get their food, and have NEVER known a cat like Spooks. Is anyone else's cat like this :confused:

2. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Seb is a lot like Spooks, occassionally he'll jump up on to the worktop when I'm getting his food out, he'll have a few mouthfuls and that's it.

When we get up and have breakfast, he'll eat a tiny bit, go out to do his business and come back and eat a little more, Frank always ends up finishing it off :rolleyes:

He can be eating and something distracts him and he stops eating and goes to be nosey.

I find he eats more in the afternoons or evenings.

I don't think he eats enough, but mentioned this to the vet this morning and she said he's fine and not to worry.

#2 sarahecp, Nov 3, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2012
  3. JordanRose

I'm glad I'm not the only one! At least you have a Frankie to finish it off, I end up throwing half a pouch away :rolleyes: Crazy kitties!!

4. Mo1959

Mo1959 PetForums Senior

Tia does tell me, loudly, when it is mealtimes but I wouldn't say she eats a lot. She prefers little and often so I split 2 pouches into four meals. She has a built in alarm that goes off at 7am, 12 noon, 5pm and 9pm and woe betide if I am late. Lol

5. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Jordan, I throw so much food away it's unreal! :eek:

My two are grazers, they never eat anything in one sitting, just keep gong back having a few mouthfuls here and there and demand more when they either find empty bowls or its gone dry! So they eat plenty, just hundreds of times a day!!

They only like foods in gravy and would rather starve than eat anything that is thought of as 'good' food :rolleyes:

They do enjoy gourmet and RC sensitivity pouches, this is proving a winner at the moment :D

I'm desperately trying to get Milo off the RC Kitten dry onto Siamese RC but he just doesn't like it!

You are not the only ones :D

6. MollyMilo

MollyMilo PetForums VIP

Tia really has her slave well trained! :D

7. Melo

Melo PetForums Member

Henry is not at all like this, he's a wee grubber and will usually be trying to eat the food before I've got it all in his bowl! :D

My friends cat is like yours though, he eats very little compared to Henry and will just eat a little bits at a time.

8. JordanRose

I'm thinking of splitting the pouches a bit more- he gets half a pouch at tea-time, then the rest is there for him overnight. He never eats it all, though, so I might start splitting it in 3 (breakfast, lunch and dinner). Will see how it goes. Sounds like it might be another silly Meezer quirk :rolleyes: :lol:

9. Mo1959

Mo1959 PetForums Senior

Yeah..........I am sure they think they are royalty and us slaves should waste as much money as possible on them. Lol

10. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Siamese are very sleek so he probably doesn't need to eat alot :)

Pixie's a grazer, Jumpy's a glutton! :D

11. Lunabuma

Lunabuma Owned by two Orientals

At times Luna will only eat if I lift her to her bowl!

Ziggy is a piggy and Luna never finishes hers. I sometimes put Luna's in the microwave and then put it back down for her later but she usually looks at me like I'm an idiot :eek:

12. Cats cats cats

Cats cats cats PetForums VIP

Sounds like my Fuzz bomb :D he NEVER begs for food , doesn't come running for treats , doesn't rush over when the food cupboard is opened ............... he only seems to eat when he has nothing much better to do :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

13. JordanRose

I am happy to hear that Spooks isn't the only one!

I'm not worried about him, he's looking lovely and healthy, but I do find it quite odd. Every other cat I've ever owned has begged for food and all hell broke loose if you dared be late. It was like the Feline WW3 :p

14. helenxxxx

helenxxxx PetForums Member

Rex is the complete opposite...massive greedy pig!

He will beg for our tea even if he's just eaten his own!

15. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I think a lot of this has to do with the fact that he has dry down. They tend to graze on that and it takes the edge off their hunger which means that food is no longer exciting. Mine used to be like this until I changed their feeding to all raw at timed intervals. Now they mostly ask for food. One is still a little bit of a grazer, but she's learning that she needs to fill up first then she can come back and graze, otherwise there'll be hardly anything left for her.

16. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Ricky is like that, he will come and eat, but he will walk away from a bowl still half full of wet food, even though he knows the others will finish it off for him. He is very moderate in eating his kibble, too.

If I give him an extra pouch of wet food when (most of) the others are out, he will again leave a fair share for the gluttons.

17. Jiskefet

Jiskefet Slave to the Hairy Hikers

Not really, mine have dry to graze on, but 5 out of 8 will almost fight over the wet food and try to finish it quickly in order to rob one of the others of their fair share.

Only Josje, Ricky and Catweazle are moderate in their feeding habits, and with Josje and Catweazle it also depends on the kind of food. One of them doesn't greatly care for salmon, the other doesn't like sardines much.....

18. Merenwenrago

Merenwenrago PetForums VIP

Most of my cats do that, they usually beg me to feed them earlier then when I do they have two bites then go outside then come back inside and have more then sleep on the chairs until they hungry again later on.

Sometimes their bowls are half full at supper time yet they still beg for food

19. Kat74Em

Kat74Em PetForums Member

Our Harry (moggie) is another grazer. It's VERY rare that he eats a whole pouch in one serving, even if he's shouting for it as it's being dished up.

Sometimes he lets his neighborhood friend 'Black Cat' in through the flap (no idea how!) to finish it off :rolleyes:

20. TatiLie

TatiLie PetForums VIP

Ari is very much like him. There are only a few times she would lick bowls clean (when it's Friday night and we give her tuna or Cosma). And the vet says she should loose 0.5kg. I just don't know how! We give her just a few treats at the end of the day and she has a handfull of dry food in the middle of the night. She probably takes energy by photosynthesis like the plants, and that's why she spends so many hours sleeping by the window :confused:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice