Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Does anybody know what this is?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Ambellina2113, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Ambellina2113

Ambellina2113 PetForums Newbie

Hello!
    I'm new to this page so I'm really sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, I apologise!

Just a quick question really, I just got in from work and was having cuddles with my 2 year old male cat when I noticed a bald patch on his neck, when I looked closer I can see that there's some sort of yellowish scan in the centre of the area. Is this something I should be worried about? I figure he's got a little too playful with my other cat but I've not seen a scab or a bald patch on him like this before so naturally I'm a little worried. Is it just healing or is this some kind of skin infection?
    Will try and attatch some photos if I can work out how to!

Thanks in advance for any help!:)

*edit* I can't work out how to upload a photo here via my phone, so if someone could help me out with that to I'd be most greatful!:)

2. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

Does he go outside where he could have been scratched or bitten by another cat possibly? Otherwise, he could have been scratching a lot which has made it bald. If its a yellow colour, I would be a little worried it was infected and wounds can easily become abscesses under the skin so would check it out with your vet.

3. Ambellina2113

Ambellina2113 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for responding so quickly:)
    He's allowed out but for some reason he's never actually gone out, kind of an indoor cat by choice aha! I think he may have got into a little scrap with my other cat while I've not been at home though.
    And I've booked an appointment with the vet but they can't see me until next week, being a worrier I'll think the worst before then! :/

4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I wouldn't be happy waiting that long, my vets never make me wait more than about 24/48 hours. If it looks any worse, I would ring and try and get something earlier or go to another vet. Hope he will be OK.

Babyshoes and buffie like this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Does the scab have a horrid smell - if so then it is more likely to be an abscess, infected and need antibiotics. In which case I wouldn't leave it long as the cat will feel pretty sick and it can lead to blood poisoning.

I'm not sure whether you have to have posted 25 times before you can up load a photo.

Babyshoes likes this.
  6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

It is difficult to say unfortunately whether you need to see a vet or not,but if you are unsure what it is or how it happened I would suggest you ask your vet.
    I have to agree with @Charity though I would be seriously thinking of changing my vet if I had to wait that long for an appointment

Babyshoes likes this.
  7. bluecordelia

bluecordelia Footy

Probably an abscess so antibiotics needed. They can burst and are not nice for your cat or to clean up. A bite or scratch is all that's needed

Babyshoes likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice