UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I wanted to know if anyone on this forum had a Cavachon?
Mine's now 6months old and I wanted to know if it was too soon to neuter him.
He hasn't started lifting his leg and I wanted to know if that's normal.

Thanks

·
Registered
20,337 Posts
This would be better in either general chat or health - but I would not neuter a male dog as young as 6 months. They tend to stay quite babyish in my experience and often quite long in the leg. He is a small breed so if you have a specific reason such as owning an entire bitch then it is worth doing as it will not be too detrimental but otherwise I would wait till he is fully mature.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both for your help with this.
I will remember to put it in General Chat next time.

Do either of you own a cavachon?

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
He's still a puppy really so don't worry aout him not cocking his leg - and some dogs just prefer not to anyway.

The general concencous seems to be to wait until your pup has fully matured before neutering - a small breed that would normally be about 18 months.

However my Shih Tzu cross was neutered early as he was a nightmare for humping my teenage daughters and their friends :eek: Something about teenage girls and their hormones :eek: - the behaviour was quite distressing for them so we took the decision to neuter him early with no ill effect (he's now 5 1/2 years)
If my dog hadn't bee such a pain then I would of waited until he was over a year and probably 18 months.

·
Registered
3,516 Posts
I don't know anyone on here who has that cross. I have a 9 month old Miniature Pinscher who started to cock his leg at 7.5 months. My boy isn't neutered but his days are numbered because he has started humping everyone and everything and it's starting to get out of control, there's just no stopping him but if he hadn't have started doing that then I wouldn't even be considering to neuter him until he is fully mature.

·
Registered
856 Posts
On cocking of the leg, I have an entire springer spaniel at 3 years old has only started cocking his leg a couple of months ago :D

So at 6 months I wouldn't be concerned :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
I have two cavachons, both 3 years old at the end of the month. They have a lovely temperament and are easy going (our vets and groomers like them for their "total lack of agression"). :)

You must keep on top of the coat though! Brush often (I find a slicker brush followed by a comb best) and have it clipped back frequently to avoid matting. As an example, I have mine clipped short every 3 months. Up to the 2 month mark one brush/comb-through per week is ok after that it's twice a week. After three months neither they nor I enjoy the attempts at keeping them matt free.

·
Registered
5,482 Posts
i have a cavachon. benjy is 21 months old. as already mentioned they are very gentle dogs. i don't think he has an ounce of nastiness in his body. i purchased some clippers and groom himself as and when it is needed. they are lovely dogs

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have a cavachon girl, Millie she has only been with s 3 weeks but couldn't imagine her not being in our home now ! Her nick name is vileda as she's Millie mop who wees with excitement then rolls in in :)

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
if you had not have said i wouldnt have a clue what the op was on about why do people make up silly names for crossbreeds?:eek:
What is worse is that people assume from owning a first time cross, that there is a breed type and temperament. We don't get that from pedigrees where we have many years of a closed gene pool, but somehow a cross breed magically produces a good temperament always and no other noticeable problems other than grooming, which you would hope is obvious.

I'm not knocking this particular cross breed, but I do wish people would think carefully before making claims that their particular dog is a 100% representative of a cross breed overall.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
I don't believe anyone here owns a crossbred cavalier/bichon frise but I may be wrong.
Thanks saved me asking... I get lost with these new names for mixes.

Pictures OP please:) I find they usually start cocking about 9 months. My rescues were already nuetured when I got them. But ones I had done at about a year.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Think this tread is about a lady wanting help with neutering not cross-breeding, Whos gives a s**t what people call there breed of dog, We all love our dogs that no matter what they are thats why we joined this site!

BTW.. My puppy 3/4 Pug 1/4 Bichon (Pushon lol) and he started cocking at around 6 months.

·
Registered
6,286 Posts
Think this tread is about a lady wanting help with neutering not cross-breeding, Whos gives a s**t what people call there breed of dog, We all love our dogs that no matter what they are thats why we joined this site!

BTW.. My puppy 3/4 Pug 1/4 Bichon (Pushon lol) and he started cocking at around 6 months.
For some of us it is curiosity nothing more... I have had and have both pure bred and X's so there is no snobbery involved here.. Thank you very much;)

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I never mentioned snobbery at all, I just dont agree with turning a genuine post for help into a debate about what people think of cross-breeds
Thank you

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
Back on , topic Please. OP he's still young I don't think you need to worry yet my MIL shih tzu only started lifting his leg when he was 1 and a half...I will also move this to dog chat for you....Jill

·
Registered
137 Posts
Ours took ages to housebreak and I've seen this mentioned quite often for this particular cross, which is something to bear in mind. In our case it was partly because the previous owner didn't make success the only option so to speak, but I think one of the breeds (bichon?) has a similar problem. Not sure though.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.