Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doe got loose with Buck this morning!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hugh_Continental, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Hugh_Continental

Hugh_Continental PetForums Newbie

So I have 3 Giant Continental rabbits, 1 boy and 2 girls. I keep the does separate but next to the buck, however one of the does managed to get into the bucks run for potentially up to half a morning and so now I’m worried the doe could be pregnant. I know it doesn’t mean she definitely is but I’m now stressed as I don’t have a clue what the best thing to do is! They are outdoor rabbits and so my main concern is if she is to have kits in around a months time then would they survive the cold outside now it’s getting colder? What would be the best thing to do? As I worry about bringing the doe inside as I know the temperature change with a winter coat can be dangerous for her. Also if she does display nesting behaviour then should I separate her from her sister or would that cause more stress as they are bonded? Any advice is appreciated as I’m just a bunny owner not a bunny breeder! Safe to say both runs have been escape proofed for future circumstances. Many thanks in advance!

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums Senior

Is an emergency spay out of the question?

and a neuter for the buck while you’re there?

It would be safe to assume she is pregnant if she’s over 5 months old. Breeding in the winter isn’t ideal and yes you probably would need to separate her from the other female as hormones may cause fights as a pregnancy progresses. It’s not set in stone though and entirely varies from one rabbit to another.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice