Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dodgy electrics!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sue&harvey, Jun 21, 2010.

1. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

We got home last night and put tea on. The trip went on the consumer unit, so went to flick it back on and it went off straight away. Unplugged everything, turned all light switches off etc, and still wouldn't come on. So we had to manage in the dark, no cooker and fridge off. :rolleyes:
    Got up this morning and was going to ask a neighbour to boil the kettle for me, when the OH said we should try it again. The electric came back on and no further tripping (touch wood) :confused1: I know the electrics out here can be dodgy but :confused1: I can't work out why the trip switch wouldn't stay on last night but has today.

The Handyman is not here today so can't check with him. But it's really weird. Only replaced that fuse in January too.

Anyone got any ideas?

2. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Sounds like one of your appliances is over heating the plug, and because everything was off last night it have had time to cool down.
    Next time it goes, turn everything off then one by one turn each electrical item on until it trips again then you will know what one it was. Ours was the dish washer tripping it all the time, so we got a new one.

3. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

How many major appliances are wired to the box? It could be due to a faulty consumer unit, or perhaps the house has dodgy wiring somewhere in one of the power rings.

As Welsh has suggested, test each appliance one by one by leaving them all unplugged when the power trips out; and then plug them back in one by one and flick the main switch on the consumer unit in turn.

4. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

The only thing I couln't unplug was the 2 ringed hob. So it could have been this, but I have used it today and it was fine. :confused: Oh well have to wait and see if it happens again. :)

5. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Oh, and one more thing, were any of your main appliances (cooker, washing machine etc) exposed to water? Water can find it's way behind electrical circuitry such as LCD displays, causing the power to trip.

6. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

You won't find a plug wired to the cooker, if you actually take the cooker out you'll see that it's wired directly into a power terminal on the wall. There should be a main switch for the cooker in your kitchen.

The cooker and gas hob will have their own radial circuit running to a fuse in the consumer unit.

#6 Chillinator, Jun 21, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 21, 2010
  7. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

The 2 ring hob, is plugged in to a socket (Canarian wiring). Doubt any water can have got in. We know the bungalow needs rewiring, but it's waiting for the communidad to do this. Only 3 of the sockets are earthed. Little electric shocks are a way of life now :D

8. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

There is no major appliances wired directly into the consumer unit circuits. This was a holiday apartment previously so we have a work top oven, and 2 hobs which have a plug on the end. So really perplexed as to why I couldn't suss what was tripping it. But the hob may have done it. All the main lights, and sockets to the whole apartment appear to be wired to this one fuse. Even though there are 3 fuses :confused1: Very bizarr

9. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Looking along the switches of our own consumer unit as we speak, it seems that ours is the same. There isn't a separate fuse or switch for the gas hob ignition. There's one for the oven though.

I can't believe that only three of your sockets are earthed, hope you make use of plug-in RCDs, but even they wouldn't totally help! :lol:

10. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

I assume you mean one of those countertop, plug-and-play gadgets?

11. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Do you have smoke alarms? If not i'd be inclined to get a couple to be on the safe side.:D

12. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

The communidad have been promising rewiring since January, and now have said it will be when the external fence is done. :rolleyes: Yup only 3, one the boiler is plugged into, one the fridge and one in a stuid place thats no good to anyone.

We haven't got any RCD's but been trying to find them. The sockets are all different sizes too so there are adapters everywhere, just so you can use them.

As I said the joys of Canarian Wiring :yikes:
    Yeah it's just a plug and play. Not bad though I really miss an oven you can get more than one tray in. Ohh to have gas.

Thanks for trying to help though :)

13. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

I'm off to the DIY shops later with my Spanish dictionary in hand!!! :D Didn't realise they were so bad, you get used to it after a while... shocking getting the washing out of the machine :yikes:

14. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

Our kettle also did this a few times recently. It wasn't until I went in the kitchen to see what happened every time hubby flicked the kettle on that I discovered ... he was filling the kettle passed the Max point. Flipping numb-nut ... well at least one of them was after I dealt a 'you plonker' blow to just the right area :D

I have no idea why the plonker did it 3 times in a row! He has been successfully making a cuppa for years now, all on his own. :lol:

15. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

:lol: Love it. I dare not fill ours more than half way... we have had 3 kettles in a year leak boiling water everywhere :scared:

16. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

That's the thing! He knows he should only be filling the kettle up just enough for 2 cups of tea/coffee :lol:

17. sue&harvey

sue&harvey PetForums VIP

Do you think he's doing it on purpose... so he doesn't have to make a brew :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice