Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doctors and misdiagnosing illness. Can we trust them?!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by tafwoc, May 15, 2010.

1. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Now i want to know how you guys feel over trusting people who are meant to be trained in the medical profession. Do you trust what they tell you? And what do you think of all the mistakes they make?

Surgeon removed toddler's bladder after mistaking it for hernia... but denies misconduct | Mail Online

This next story is my mums good friend's son who died.

Legal action as misdiagnosed dad died alone in agony on Christmas Day - Crewe Chronicle

My mum was a midwife before she got M.E. Alot of her friends still work in the hospitals and are constantly shocked at the lack of staff knowledge.

Over the past few years with members of out family being ill ect, it is seriously worrying to witness it first hand.

There are some great doctors and nurses, there is no doubt about that! But is it acceptable to make such huge mistakes when it's peoples lives at stake?

I don't want to start huge rows, and im not just having a go here, i just generally am really shocked. An i pray to god i never end up in some of these doctors hands.

Izzie999 likes this.
  2. metame

metame PetForums VIP

my mums friends nephew got misdiagnosed when he was a baby as having a viral condition. despite the fact the doctor was called out three times, he still misdiagnosed it. he had meningitus, and ended up losing all four limbs :(

its really scary the amount of mistakes they can make but i think if we DONT trust them then all havoc will break loose :(

3. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

i dont trust doctors tbh, they think they know everything and refuse to admit when they are wrong - so pig headed :mad:

My brother was hit by a car doing 50mph and had severe brain trauma, a fractured pelvis and his leg broken in two places, plus massive burns on his back as he went under the car.

Docs told us he had a 30% chance of survival and even at that would be in a vegetative state.

It took a long time and my brother suffered severe memory loss for a few months, but he is now walking with no limp and fully functioning like he was before the accident :)

4. Merlin Birmingham

Merlin Birmingham PetForums Senior

Interesting thread!
    :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

5. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My MIL had been going to the doctors with a bad chest last summer. They kept teling her it was because because she smoked and gave her an inhaler. In about february she was taken to the docors again. The doctor this time a locum took one look at her and phoned an ambulance.

The hospital diagnaosed misdiagnosed pnuemonia and a collapsed lung. They advised her to put a complaint in against the doctors but she hasn't bothered.

6. smudgiesmummy

smudgiesmummy PetForums VIP

i would put a complaint against them

7. rona

rona Guest

I was misdiagnosed for two years, luckily I don't think it has had any long term affect.
    It got to the point where even standing up was hard work.
    I had intermittent blood in my urine and always felt as if I had been microwaved, intense heat from within. I kept being told even after tests that it was the menopause.
    Turned out to be a huge kidney stone, that eventually had me rushed to hospital

8. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Interesting thread...

Do I trust doctors.... sort of lol

My mother is a nurse, dad a fraud investigator for the NHS... ive heard too many stories to trust them properly.

Ive had my own experience of crappy doctors, the last one is now being investigated fully at my GP because their stupid system resulted in my son being admitted to hospital. This same doctor is also being investigated for prescribing my friend a diabetes drug in early pregnancy that can cause neural tube defects!

IVe pulled doctors up on lots of things, from washing hands, questioning diagnosis, asking for second opinions, insisting on referrals when they just refuse to listen etc.

I have great admiration for doctors, but sometimes i wish they would take a step back, look at the whole picture and see the patient for what it is... A PERSON!

9. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

As sad as it is to read of such stories the fact is doctors are only human,and as such mistakes will be made.That said i'd be pretty damn angry if i lost someone through neglect.In the 1st story i cannot understand why nobody else in the operating theatre didn't pick up the mistake.Its not like there's only one person in a theatre.:confused:

10. Izzie999

Izzie999 PetForums VIP

Hi all,

My Mum who died last month had been vomiting for months on end and had the shakes pretty badly. They ran all sorts of blood tests and changed her meds for her blood pressure etc. I was quite surprised they never thought about neurological issues despite the vomiting and the constant shakes she had. I don't blame anyone for what happened to her,brain haemarrages(sp) can happen at any time.But I do wonder why they never really thought about giving her a cat scan. At the end of the day any kiind of recriminations are not going to bring her back are they?

I have the upmost respect for the doctors and nurses who cared for her in those last few days.They showed so much love and respect for her.Let us stay with her 24/7,even though they knew the situation was hopeless they always explained to her what they were doing,even if it was just refreshing her mouth,or taking blood.They always answered any questions with patience and compassion.

As someone else said we are human and humans make mistakes!Sadly it costs someone else their life. I feel so sad for anyone in that position.

Izzie

#10 Izzie999, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  11. pickle

pickle PetForums Senior

Doctors are only human and we all make mistakes, so, you have to accept that this can occassionally be the case. However sometimes things are just so glaringly incompetent that there is no excuse.
    Mistaking a bladder for a hernia????? This was in a major paediatric unit with (one presumes) a paediatric surgeon operating and, as mentioned already, surely other experienced theatre staff present. No excuse whatsoever for that one, if I were the parent I might want an eye (or bladder) for an eye, this one should be struck off,- gross negligence. There should be no errors in an operating theatre, ever! The patient is totally entrusted to the surgeon's mercy and there should be no mistakes made.
    Medical misdiagnosis, unfortunately, is all too common. All we can do is speak up, shout if necessary, for ourselves (and our loved ones if they are unable) and not be fobbed off when we are unhappy with things.
    There always will be mistakes, probably more than we will ever know, but we have to trust to a certain extent and after all, many, many people have been treated successfully by the medical profession over the years.

12. CarolineH

CarolineH PetForums VIP

Many people diagnosed with ME or 'Chronic Fatigue Syndrome', the modern name for it) are misdiagnosed in my opinion. I was diagnosed with it last year in February and you are basically 'written off', being told they do not know what causes it so you have to learn to cope with it etc. Due to media hype about 'yuppy flu' many people are ignorant about it and wrongly assume that you are a malingerer, lazy or that it is all in your head. To those people I say bull droppings!

Anyway, I realised a while ago that prior to my symptoms, I had been bitten by a tick, had the classic bullseye rash which is an indication of having contracted Lyme Disease. I didn't realise thats what it could be at the time and neither did my doctor. Since then I have developed other symptoms. I got fed up of getting the brush off from the GP, with everything being put down to the CFS 'So we can't do anything about it but give you more pills'. I decided to go private as fortunately my husband is paid fairly well so we could just afford it. We look at it as equal to going to the vet - you just have to pay afterwards! :D I wanted answers - I now have them! Not only am I finally being treated for possible Lyme Disease, I have had further tests that have revealed problems with the mitochondria (little engines in blood cells that convert used energy into new energy etc!) and also showed other problems. Subsequently I have had further tests which have shown an auto immune disorder and now I am probably going to be diagnosed with 'Sjogrens Syndrome' which explains not only the exhaustion and pain I get but also the dry mouth, dry eyes etc that I have developed since. None of this would have been discovered by my GP as they don't bother to investigate further than normal blood tests unless of course you end up in hospital eventually!

Thousands of people out there are being written off with the vague, dustbin diagnosis of CFS with no further invetsigations being done. It is disgusting and it stinks but it is also indicative of an NHS that is unwieldy and overburdened, where GPs hands are being too tightly bound by 'guidelines' which stifles their ability to use their initiative and think outside the box.

13. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Cheers guys for answering. Its good to read your views and some of your first hand situations with the NHS.

I know that doctors are only human, but in my second link, the guy asked for a scan and was flatly refused. What the hell do you do then?
    My sister's ex bf had chrones disease, and before they diagnosed him, they told him repeatedly that all the pain was in his head? I just don't understand how a doctor can sit there and not try and help? To rule everything out? To be so uncompassionate?
    Again i know it works both ways, and there are amazing doctors, but it does worry me, sometimes i feel i would get more answers if i went to see a vet :lol:

14. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

One thing i do disagree with is doctors will just dish out antibiotics willy nilly.
    Last year in the summer my oldest brother had what he and the doctord thought was a chest infection, he had 3/4 lots of antibiotics before they sent him for xrays,two exrays later and then he had to have the camera down his throat.He was diagnosed with a tumour oon his chest in November we lost him in Febuary.Now he was never one of these people that would go to the doctor without good cause,which i think doctors should be more aware of.I think after the 2nd if not the first visit he should have had his 1st xray.But i guess its down to money.

15. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Im so sorry hun :( An i agree with you totally! It is clear from their records how many times someone has been in, and if they often visit for different reasons. An as you say it might be down to the money, but that makes me wonder then if part of the NHS should be made private. Like the system they have in Australia.

16. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I'm not sure i would like to see any of it go private.What i would like to see is stricter practices within the NHS.I have to say when i had to have an op about 10years ago i honestly couldn't find any fault with the staff or treatment i had.It was 1st class.BUT! i do know that,that was down to the lady in charge of the ward,she had high standards.:D

17. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

Of course doctors make mistakes, everyone does!!
    It's very smart to have a second, even a third opinion when it comes to an important matter.
    A friend of mine had this doctor that was always wrong, still she kept seeing them, "but I like him"..:confused:
    One day she was feeling poorly and he said "I'm afraid you've got leukemia"
    Poor woman went home crying, thinking she was dying. Next morning he called her and said : "sorry, I was wrong, you are pregnant" ...
    Sometimes you know your body better than any doctor, so it's worthwhile to seek medical help elsewhere.
    In another topic, I wrote about "doctor pill", well, without examination, she told my OH he might have cancer. In the end it turned out to be cat scratch disease. I told my OH, if he wanted to continue seeing "doctor pill", I would never speak to him again.

18. noogsy

noogsy PetForums VIP

hi i dont trust doctors and i question everything.
    i suppose the NHS is under pressure because we are now treating people in the NHS who have never paid in to the system:(
    we dont need to be accountants to know it isnt going to stretch to the whole EU coming here for operations:rolleyes:
    i think people who have paid into the system should be treated like they are private patients.ie our retired people and oldies should be getting a far better deal.
    noogsy.xx

19. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Totaly agree on the EU thing.:thumbup:

20. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

I don't trust doctors, I hate going even hardly do, because I always think that they will think I am a hypochondriac!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice