Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

docking tails

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by DobermanVincent, Aug 16, 2009.

1. DobermanVincent

what's peoples opinion on this?
    mine is i think it's totally fine as long as done by a proper qualified and licensed vet and legally done , i understand its illegal to dock dobermans in uk now unless you can prove there working dogs which i think is a stupid law so i went over to northern ireland and got my bitch from over there , i don't want an arguement about it just peoples opinions because no two people share the same opinion

2. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Its illegal to have any breed docked over here with out proof that it will be worked.
    I dont agree with docking unless it is for the a very good reason..and for the dogs benifit
    I also thinks its very under hand that people can beat this rule by going else where and getting there pups docked!

3. Dundee

Dundee Banned

I think it's an excellent law. There is no benefit in mutilating a dog by docking it's tail and I think it is utterly criminal to do so for asthetic reasons and just to please the owner!

4. DobermanVincent

it's part of the standard breed on all that are docked , it's no worse than males getting circumised at birth

5. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Not anymore
    I don't have a problem with working dogs being docked, I've seen enough spaniels with split tails to see the benefits there, but I've hated docking long before it became illegal. I think it's a sad society we live in when people want to chop bits off their animals just so they can achieve a certain look.

6. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I have a Doberman that is docked she was docked before it became illegal, and I've also had one that was not docked personally it makes no difference to me, a dog is a dog whether they be docked or not I've owned a dog with a tail injury that resulted in her having to be docked and the injury to her tail wasn't nice, nor was the proceedure as an adult dog.

7. DobermanVincent

in years to come i'll still travel to ireland to get one docked looks more like a greyhound cross than a doberman

8. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Thats rubbish really, my Doberman still looked like a Doberman even though her tail was intact, never once was she mistaken for a cross Greyhound people knew exactly what they were looking at when they saw her.

9. HighPr00

HighPr00 Banned

I agree. :smilewinkgrin:

10. DobermanVincent

If people see dobermans,rotties,boxers,etc etc with tails there just think heinz 57 , in many years to come people are still illegally docking tails in UK its such a grey area its unbelievable

11. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Glad to see you like a dog for aesthetics :rolleyes:

12. DobermanVincent

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

If there were (hypothetically) no more docked dobermans in this world and no way to dock them would you give up the breed?

I personally think a doberman looks gorgeous with its tail, it's the way nature intended :D

14. DobermanVincent

I'd never have a doberman with a tail , many doberman owners agree hence why so many have stopped selling (buyers thrieve on tails docked) , people do it illegally now , etc etc and there becoming less seen

15. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Years ago poodles were docked too including my first 2, and i couldn't imagin poodles with tails but the 2 i have now have tails and look just as nice.:D:D

16. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier. Snowflake. Activist ;)

i think its mostly the bybs that have stopped breeding them,( which is great:D) its never a good thing for a breed to be too popular or its gunna be exploited, at shows the classes for Dobes,Rotties & Boxers are still big so i dont think its really affected those who are passionate about the breeds

1 person likes this.
  17. Molly's Mum

Molly's Mum PetForums VIP

My Boxer girl has just had a litter, Tia the pup we have kept; most certainly doesn't look like HEINZ 57:cursing::cursing: I love the fact she has her tail and is completely intact!!! It's a real joy seeing her run towards me... tail wagging

18. Liteskye

Liteskye PetForums Member

Since the ban came into force there aren't as many Rotts been registered with the KC. Bordeaux's have over taken them.

I've got used to seeing Rotts with tails, but not overly keen, as some I've seen look like labs.

19. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

yes have to agree look much better with tails, and great to see them wagging, well done on not getting them docked.
    I see a weirernar with a tail and i think she looks lovely, and certainly know what breed she is.
    I thought you could not now show dogs with docked tails?

20. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

I disagree it's a grey area - the law is quite specific. The only people greying the area are people like yourself who prefer to buy a dog from a different country.

I agree - it's just what people are used to seeing, and they will get used to seeing undocked dogs pretty quickly. We used to breed and show cocker spaniels and I couldn't imagine them with tails - but now it looks odd to see the older, docked dogs.

Again, I agree - it's the bybs and puppy farmers who have stopped docking. Docked dogs cannot be shown in this country unless they have been docked for working purposes and the show has to be one where the public does not pay to enter. For that reason, pedigree breeders are no longer docking. I think breeding figures are slightly down, but nowhere near as much as the pro-dockers were prophesising. And it looked really odd to see some breeds with tails at first, but it's just what you get used to seeing and pretty soon it's the docked dogs that will look odd.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice