Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Dobermann clipping experience?

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by Dober, Jan 4, 2012.

1. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I was wondering if anyone could reconmended a groomer who has experience clipping Dobermanns for show?

I'm in Milon Keynes, but can travel :)

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Since when are Dobermanns clipped?

What exactly needs clipping?

All Dobes need is a rub with a silk scarf!

There is no hair TO clip!

3. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Normally you would clip off everything which sticks out on the profile to jut make them look more defined and sleek. The tuft of hair on the chest, around the tail, belly, feet, hind quarters, face/muzzle ect. I'd do it myself but have no clippers.

4. thedogcabin

thedogcabin PetForums Member

if it really does need doing i would use thinning scissors.

5. hawksport

hawksport Banned

I've never clipped anything but whiskers and the odd long eyebrow hair

6. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Thanks hawksport, your dog is gorgeous. Do you trim the whiskers completely off? And you don’t take the tuft off on the chest, or the fluffiness around the flank or tail? I was always told to take anything off which sticks out from the profile.

7. Premier Pet Care

Premier Pet Care PetForums Newbie

The hair on the chest runs in the opposite direction so if you use clippers on that it will go bald

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

Didnt know they needed clipping :confused: learn something new every day on here :D

9. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Okay, well this is the best walk through I've ever seen.

Elaine Hopper
    Starlaine Dobermans & Whippets
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    Starlaine Dobermans & Whippets

10. hawksport

hawksport Banned

Take the whiskers right off. He hasn't got any fluffiness or a tuft on his chest

11. tattoogirl73

tattoogirl73 PetForums VIP

one of my friends told me i should trim opie's little quiff off his tail because it looks messy. i told her to sod off, it's part of is personality. will you post before and after pics so we can see the difference ( any excuse to getmore dobe pictures up, lol) :)

12. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hehe, I do love that tuft at the end :) I've got to find someone to clip him, but at this rate I'll probably end up buying clippers and doing it myself. I'll defo get before and after pics!

13. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

When I go to look at Discover Dogs at Crufts, I shall be inspecting the dobies more carefully than I thought!! I always thought they were sleek and gorgeous, but I never thought they'd be clipped...

Don't they need whiskers for anything?

I wonder how many other breeds have things done that I have simply never considered they would....

Naomi

14. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Well they say you learn something new every day!!:D

My Dad had two Dobies and my sister has had a few has one now, and its never occured to be there was anything to clip. Especially up against this hairy lot of mine. I would be terrified to do it theres not much there to start with.:eek:

15. hawksport

hawksport Banned

If he's wearing nail varnish again this year just ignore it

[​IMG]

16. missnaomi

missnaomi PetForums VIP

I'll keep my eyes peeled for beautiful Arnie!!

They are stunning dogs, but I see them so rarely - the lady who runs my dog training classes has two bitches, but they are the only ones that I've met in real life.

Naomi

17. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Hehe! Well I think it also varies a lot depending on which shows you go to, and in what part of the world. For example, you would look like a TOTAL amateur if you had an un-groomed dog in the US, as everyone does it. Chalking, dying, painting, plucking, preening, conditioning, you name it, they do it! It is, of course, against the rules to dye your dogs in both kennel clubs!

I'm told it’s less common to do it over here, but I do definitely prefer the sleeker look. I also think some dogs tend to be a bit furrier than others. My boy is smoother on his hind quarters than some other dogs i've seen, but then has a big cow lick on his chest. :)

Different people say different things about whiskers, some dogs hate having them taken off and some don’t mind at all. It’s thought they are used as additional sensory organs, to sense things in their surroundings and measure spaces they can fit their heads in and out of. As a domestic dog, I personally dont think dogs need them, but I'd only trim them for shows. I've heard of some breeders plucking whiskers from clean faced dogs :eek:

18. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

It is the same here in Thailand! My friend shows Beagles and we go along to watch and my kids get a chance to show occassionally. I never thought there would be many grooming requirements for a Beagle but boy was I wrong! The amount of chalking, clipping and hairspraying the goes on is incredible. I also didn't realise they removed the whiskers completely but can see why they do as the line is better. Guess a Dobie is similar :)

19. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

I'm a groomer and I didn't know you could nor have I every clipped a Dobermann. I am amazed that they do. I can't wait till I see one know and have a good look over it cause all the ones I've seen in the distance they just look sleek lol. Least I now know the secret to how they look so good. Have to say the Dobermanns on this post all look gorgeous :D

20. pearltheplank

pearltheplank PetForums VIP

Will you be showing your Dobe? If so, invest in good scissors/clippers and do it yourself

I am a groomer and show my dogs, I wouldn't trust anyone else with them. I also had a ranting customer who accused me of making her dog lose in a show as 'I had brushed him the wrong way'. I refuse now to do any show dogs, except my own which don't require anything more than a good groom anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice