Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Doberman Puppy and newborn baby

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Sophie Longmire, Jan 11, 2019.

1. Sophie Longmire

Sophie Longmire PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have an 11 month old Doberman who is very boisterous and bouncy. He does not have any ounce of aggression in him. The only problem is he’s too jumpy which is normal for a puppy I know. My sister has just had a baby and at the moment I can not have my Dobie around the baby as he’s too energetic and bouncy which could injure baby. I just want to know at what age should my Dobie be before I introduce him to the baby?

Attached Files:

2. danielled

danielled Guest

Could a mod move this to the dog section please? @SusieRainbow

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I would 'introduce' him to the baby almost straight away but always in a controlled manner - you could go for a walk together with your young dog on the lead and the baby being pushed by your sister in the pram. In this way he gets used to the sounds and smell of the baby. If in the home then again pop your dog on the lead and ask him to settle beside you when your sister visits so that your dog learns that the baby is nothing to do with him but will be coming round from time to time. I wouldn't be looking to allow freedom around the baby for a while or even encourage close contact as it is only important that your dog learns to accept the newcomer as 'one of the family', not something to sniff or play with. Most young dogs are too bouncy around babies. Once dog and child begin to grow up then there will be time for them to learn more about each other.

J

4. Sophie Longmire

Sophie Longmire PetForums Newbie

Thank you, I will try and speak to my sister about this and see if she is willing to let him be around in a controlled manner.

5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I agree, just allow him to be in the baby's presence but fully controlled by you with a leash. He doesn't need to stick his nose in the baby's face and sniff or anything. Just be around while the baby is around.

We brought home two babies to a house with 4 dogs, two of whom were very curious, one did not care one iota, the fourth actively avoided the strange lumps. The ones I had to watch were the curious ones, I wanted them to view the babies as nothing interesting here, move on. (Which they did until said babies turned in to toddlers who dropped food everywhere they went and they became very interesting again.)

Just to add, at 11 months, your dobie isn't a puppy anymore :) He's a juvenile. A teen ;)

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  6. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Agree.

Rosie, my JR, was around a year old when my Sister began bringing her baby Grandchild here. Rosie was too interested for my liking. She is a terrier from generations of working lines and babies make squealing noises.

I kept her onlead whenever Holly was here. As it is now, Rosie adores children and they are her favourite people, but caution was needed.

Lurcherlad and Linda Weasel like this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

Love it!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice