Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your dogs have....

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by cinnamontoast, Mar 24, 2011.

1. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

........access outside overnight?

Jake and Brig had a dog flap installed for them so they able to go outside at night. They slept in the kitchen, the corridor door was left open and they could use the dog flap whenever they wanted. They didn't bark so were not a bother overnight. They respected the 3 foot fence that we installed to keep them off the lawn so had access to the patio/toilet area.

The pups (now 9 months and taller than Brig! :eek:) do not respect the fence, so go into the main garden. They have smashed a hole into the proper fence between us and the neighbour and bark for no good reason (and are brought back in immediately, cos I'm not having them disturb people)

So, we accidentally allowed access to the garden one night and they were fine, didn't escape, were in the kitchen in the morning etc, so I wonder if I could allow more freedom? (The garden is secure but Zak is Houdini)

Do you allow overnight access to the garden or other outside area?

2. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

willow sleeps with me (yea i know im risking the plague :rolleyes: )so when she is in need of a wee she tells me so gets to go outside as & when :D

3. cinnamontoast

I'd let them but Zak would be up, down, shake it all about, steal stuff, have a fight....you get the picture. Brig often gets big dog privileges like that until the OH gets home.:)

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Nope!
    I would be too scared they would escape or someone would steal them or something!

They have a nice routine, they are toilet trained and only a few times in 2 years has Dave asked to go out at night, they sleep from when I go to bed around midnight until we get up at 8 and quite often aren't bothered about going out for the loo til I get back from school run at half 9.

They playfight in the garden, dig holes and wind up the cats. Dixie also barks at noises in the dark and my neighbour down the road is often out until the wee small hours so I would be constantly up and down telling her to shut up! Lol

5. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

if she is in a 'funny' mood she steals my blo0dy socks!! its awful. but she is so cute when she nudges me for a cuddle. im a sucker for her!

6. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

If Im home they have a dog flap into the cat run that they use overnight. If Im working a nightshift (or they decide to have a barkathon!) then I shut them in. They have puppy pads as well so just use them if they cant get out.

7. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Have patio doors so no option of something like that.
    Willow would love it like that though.
    But in my town dunno if a golden retriever size hole in the door would be a good idea :lol:

8. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

No, but then mine are crated so they just get shut in overnight, till morning, and this has been the case from day one, i wouldnt really want them going around and about, but i am a very light sleeper and my house would make so many creaks etc that i would never get any sleep!

9. swarthy

swarthy PetForums VIP

If mine need to go out in the night (rare unless I have a pupster) - I let them out and wait until they come back in - not sure I would be in the least bit comfortable about them being able to go in and out at night.

10. theevos5

theevos5 PetForums VIP

Alf doesn't have access to the garden during the night as he is crated,but even if he wasn't I would worry that he would be able to get out the garden while we were asleep and be miles away by the time we wake up.:D Although he hasn't done it for a long time,he used to be abit of a houdini too,so if he chewed his way out,it would be awful.

11. cinnamontoast

Mine are out of the crate, have been for about 6 weeks. They just decided they'd rather be on the bed with Brig.

[​IMG]

I must have been super lucky with Jake and Brig: they were quiet, could go in the garden at night and not be pests, were calm, had perfect recall. Blimey, same breed, different dogs!

Miss.PuddyCat likes this.
  12. jetsmum

jetsmum PetForums VIP

Jet doesn't need to wake me up in the night, coz I go to bed so late he has his last 'go' in the garden quite late/early- depending on which way you look at it.

13. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

We have a dog flap but it is on an internal door in a little corridor before the back door and the outside one is left open for Mia to go in and out as she wants. The outside door gets shut about 3.30am when OH comes to bed and I am up and open it again at 5.30am so Mia has access to outside 22 hours a day.
    She can only get into our private bit of garden though that has massive fence and is all securely bolted with security lights and camera's and stuff. She can't get out into the pub garden. If we were in our own house I wouldn't let her get out at night via a dog flap because I would worry too much.

14. Amber Dawn

Amber Dawn PetForums Member

Dug doesn't go outside. He's too busy keeping us awake with his snoring and dream-barking :D

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Sailor doesn`t have 24 access to the garden and I doubt I would feel comftable about it, I would be concerned burglars would be crawling through the giant dog flap lol

Sailor now sleeps in my bedroom (not on my bed),his last toilet breaks can be as early as 8pm or as late as 1am, then his early morning toilet breaks can be as early as 6.30am or as late as 9.30am, depending on whether it is a school day or weekend lol

He has never asked to go out at night, but some Sunday mornings he does start to whine and nudge his head under my duvet trying to find me, because he needs the toilet and can`t wait for me to have a lie in :eek:

16. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

I don't know if I would ever have a dog flap so no they don't have access. I worry too much about theft as both are purebreds etc. Would never ever forgive myself if anything happened to them plus we get all sorts in the garden at night.

17. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

No not with Mavis she has never had the need to go out through the night . she goes 12 hrs without one:D:D

But, when i had Ozzy i did actually consider getting one into the garage for him as he had trouble holding wee/poo in through the night( because of medical issues:(:() and i never heard him wanting out, i also thought about getting some sort of huge litter tray for him, which i think he would have actually used bless him

18. Nope! they don't - think the whole neighbourhood would be up in arms if they did have! Milly barks at her shadow! And me finks she is secretly scared of the dark!:eek:

19. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

thats so cute!!

20. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

No he rarely needs to go out at night and the kitchen doesn't have access to the outside anyway

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice