Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your dogs change colour?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Jul 26, 2009.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Tau bleaches quite a bit in the summer, and I jokingly refer to her as a 'silver' Labrador ;)

So it's a good excuse to post a couple of pics of the girls to show the colour difference between them.

Tau and Indie
    [​IMG]

Indie
    [​IMG]

Tau
    [​IMG]

Indie and Tau
    [​IMG]

It's amazing how many people comment on Tau just because she is so pale, people always seem to want the unusual.

2. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

One of my springers goes lighter when shes been in the sun, Really weird as the other springer doesnt lol

3. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Misty my black lab get's red high lite's bet my b/w springer goes red on his head and ears. Great pic's by the way:D

4. rona

rona Guest

Our Chessie gets a red tinge in the summer

5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Those labs are really really lovely. My black horses get a browny tinge in the summer if I dont put sun rugs on them. The dogs dont but Floss is going very grey!

6. clueless

clueless Banned

My Hairless Cresteds all change colour in the summer, they go dark

7. Sophiex

Sophiex PetForums VIP

Oscar's got light this summer and but he has a dark apricot stripe down his back, it's the strangest thing, he looks like a tiger!

8. raindog

raindog PetForums Senior

Our boy Ute has changed colour completely. When we first imported him from France, he was a very light red. Over the years he has got darker and darker:

Then.....

[​IMG]

and now.....

[​IMG]

Mick

9. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Gorgeous pictures.
    I wouldn't of thought that was the same dog- Raindog.

Lilly has got lighter as she got older. But I think she is pretty much the colour she is going to stay now she is fully grown.

Zipper gets quite a bit of Bronzing in his black coat during the summer months.

10. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

When Cheeko gets a cyst and it burst after he's been clipped the first time after it bursting he's still white but slowly the spot where it burst turns apricot :confused: He gets an apricot stripe down his back from time to time. Was very noticeable when he was a puppy. Sometimes he turns green when he helps to cut the grass ;)

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave changes colour.. ASk my son what colour Dave usually is and he will say ''Black. Filthy. Hahahahaha'' Lol :D

His white feet are never white, they are grey.

Lol but more seriously, Dixie has grey undercoat and behind her ears in the summer it shows more. And also on her head she has tan undercoat, which you can notice more in the light :)

x

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Button is the opposite in the summer she goes black but in the winter she has grows a very fine brown fluff under her black coat which gives her a brown tinge. I know greyhounds don't normally have an under coat but its called a kennel coat and is common with racing greyhounds they grow it to keep warm in the winter.

Whippet pup are nottorious for changing colour when they are young. This is Amber when she was newborn
    [​IMG]

and again at about 8 weeks I think
    [​IMG]
    and 4 months
    [​IMG]

In the last photo she wanted to go for a wee which is why she has humped her back up:eek:

13. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Yep, Sky is currently a brown/red when she's outside instead of black :p

14. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Snap!!...:D :D

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yeah Buster has blonde streaks anyway but he gets a lot more in the summer and they all get lighter in the summer.

16. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

All of those pictures are amazing!!! :D

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Alfies skin changes. In the summer he gets loads of black spots, and over the years they have increased in size and number, so he now has black patches, rather than spots. In the winter they fade to almost nothing.

Oscar has changed over time. He used to be a really rish chestnut red, and shone like a little conker, now he is much lighter. Of course, he has a fair bit of grey on him, and his muzzle and feet are no longer black.

I remember my first pony was a blue roan, and the colour change from winter to summer was amazing.

18. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I forgot to add about the predominantly white dogs William the greyhound and Jasper the whippet both of whome go more spotty in the summer although this is just skin pigmentation that when they have their summer coats show through the white hair more. Also if they are wet they look as if they are doing impressions of a dalmation

Nonnie years ago I worked in a riding school we had both a blue roan and a strawberry roan. The blue roan in the summer had an almost white body with dark grey legs and head but in the winter was completely dark grey until he as clipped. The strawberry roan was the same but with chestnut legs nearly whiet body in the summer and almost chestnut in the winter with just a white fleck to his coat.

#18 Freyja, Jul 26, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice