Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your dog look out for eachother?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lauren5159, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

This morning, I went for a stupidly early walk with the boys.

I took them to a park close to the house that has a great fenced off area that's great for off-leash training.

My boys were doing so well.

But all of a sudden, a little Jack Russell appears from nowhere. So, quick thinking, to distract my boys, I threw a ball in the other direction. They both chased it but Skip turned back half way (out of defeat, I think as Dexter is pretty fast)... The little JRT went straight over to Skip and when I called him back, Skip started running straight back to me. The little JRT was having none of it and ran at Skip, grabbing his back leg :eek: Skip fell flat, obviously losing balance and I started to run over as the JRT started ragging Skip's leg, hackles up and looked like he wanted a good fight.

Before I could get there though, Dexter got to them both, barrelled in to the JRT and cause him to let go of Skip's leg... The JRT then ran for Dexter barking and snapping. Dexter didn't bother, he ran in a huge circle, distracting the smaller dog so I could get to Skip.

By the time I got to Skip, he was standing again looking a little sheepish and let me check him over. His leg was bleeding but he was putting weight on it and the little JRT was still trying to attack Dexter.

Dexter looked like he had everything under control and the chubby JRT was struggling to keep up.

It was at that point, the JRT's owner appeared. Leash in hand and out of breath.

Dexter ran straight to the man and he was able to grab the small, chubby dog (getting bit himself). He then came over.

He was so apologetic and explained that his dog is aggressive and escaped from the garden. He put the leash on his JRT, asked me if my dogs were okay.

I told him that Skip had been attacked by his dog but that apart from a little blood, everything seemed okay. The man was distraught. He told me that he'd cover all vet costs and that they have a behaviourist coming to work with them on Monday.

He seemed generally upset and actually very dog savvy (which is a rarity)... He knew his dog has issues and is working to get them fixed so I didn't give him a hard time.

However, all this time, Dexter was standing between the JRT and Skip... Just staring at the dog in the man's arms and not budging.

Looks like Dexter has Skip's back :)

It was really nice to see the protective side of Dexter, paired with his herding instinct... Things could have been a lot worse if Dexter hadn't intervened especially since the JRT owner said his dog is both human and dog aggressive...

Do your dog's have each other's back?

#1 Lauren5159, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  2. JessIncaFCR

JessIncaFCR PetForums VIP

Bless him - well done Dexter :)

Sounds like that other jack russell should have been on a lead though :rolleyes: Some dog owners :rolleyes:

Mine don't really look out for each other at all :eek: Jessie gets annoyed by Inca very easily as Inca can be a pest and always shoves toys into Jess's face :rolleyes: they tolerate each other, but I don't think they would look out for each other. Inca adores Jessie but I don't think the feeling is mutual :lol: Saying that, I don't know what would happen in that situation. Maybe, they would help each other out, who knows ;)

3. Lauren5159

Yeah, I was planning on giving him a piece of my mind but he seemed so genuinely sorry and his dog had escaped just as he was about to leave for work.

I've been there before... When I first got Dexter, he cleared my six foot fence and nipped a PERSON (the collie nip). I worked solidly with him and now I trust him completely...

So I figured, due to him truly being sorry, knowing and getting his dog help and him being late for work but not concerned about that, that he was a rare owner who didn't shift the blame elsewhere or avoid it... He was a very nice man and gave me his contact details incase Skip needed a vet.

If only every owner of an aggressive dog was like that.

4. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Domino looks out for Archie and Buzz, he also looks after all his doggy pals when a strange dog tries to join the group. He seems to check the other dog out not aggressively and so far all the dogs he checked out have been great with all the dogs.

This behaviour only started after he was attacked so he obviously learned from that experience.

Val xx

5. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I'm not sure if it's really looking out for Zig, but Kite will bark at cattle or horses that approach her. Ziggy's terrified of large livestock (and also scared of sheep) but it's in the nature of her breed for Kite to bark at them and drive them away. Whatever the reason, it really helps to get Ziggy out of tight corners. Of course, I avoid knowingly taking dogs into fields with cattle or horses n the first place, but there's been a couple of times when they hadn't been any in sight, and they later appeared and approached us.

6. rona

rona Still missing my boys

God help any dog that gives Alfie a hard time with Muddy around :eek:

Alfie was protective with Muddy when he was younger

7. lucy963

lucy963 PetForums Senior

Hope your dog is ok after that (mentally and physically), its nice that he looked out for him like that. I dont know what mine would do in that situation.

#7 lucy963, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  8. Lauren5159

Thank you :)

Skip's fine :) I kept him out for a while and he met lots of other dogs on the way home and he was fine... Didn't seem traumatised at all :)

9. kirksandallchins

kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

My dogs do not look out for each other.

When Lottie was attacked and the Bull Terrier latched on to her nose for a few minutes - it felt longer - the 2 Mini Schnauzers I had then took off to a safe distance and watched us all trying to pull the dog off Lottie who was screaming in pain.

A few years later Ruby was attacked in almost the same spot by a Staffie that could not be removed from her ear - both Lottie and Leo both disappeared and took ages to catch afterwards.

10. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

My first dog would look out for Holly. Holly was attacked at 4 months old, Bella was barking like mad on her lead I had to try and keep hold of her. Otherwise her and the Boxer would of had a full blown fight i'm sure. A BC also went for Holly and Bella ran over and got into a scuffle with it. But she would also attack Holly herself, she did it once really badly.

Holly hates it when her Shih Tzu friend tells my sisters Staffy puppy off, she runs over and barks. She will also put herself between them. So I can't really have all 3 together, Holly is not relaxed and I want her to be so. She has dog issues as it is. I have never seen Holly stand up for another dog like she does for Lola.

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Henrick has had just two proper altercations in his 5 years, both were when other dogs attacked Bella. The last occasion I'm sure would have been very serious if Henrick hadn't broken it up. When Bella was younger she had a arch enemy who she started trouble (noise and sillyness only) with every time they met, if she ever started trouble Henrick sat back and watched, it was only when she was being properly attacked that he stepped in.

12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont think that mine would protect each other in an full attack, they would only get themselves in trouble too if they did. They def do rely on each other to form a good defence againest rude or pushy dogs though. Not many will continue approaching when confronted by the wall of sound 4 yappy dogs can create!
    When we are lead walking however Hannah seems to watch over Heidi. They are on a coupler together and if Heidi gets freaked out or upset then Hannah will stick very close and lick her nose and eyes.

Best case of dog policing Ive seen though if from a Husky we used to walk with. He was walked off lead and formed the centre of our dog walking group, he was a lovely boy and the undisputed leader of the gang. The other dogs all had to come and greet him first and he wouldnt accept any of the other dogs getting bullied and would intervene and put any dog in their place who misbehaved. Def not a typical Husky but a real gent.:)

13. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

Yep chance looks out for Harvey, and Harv will go to him when he's unsure or abit overwhelmed that sort of thing.

Chance also pinned a GSD that tried to attack Harvey

14. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

I had Luna and Precious in the dog park when this rather large Labrador decided to chase Luna and scared her witless, she ended up in a ball on the floor. With that Precious came running across as fast as she could and nipped the Labrador down the side of the mouth.

15. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

Whilst Flyte considers it acceptable to occassionly put Skye in his place, it would be a very brave, or very foolish, dog that had a pop at the little 'un.

16. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

We've (thankfully!!) never really been in a situation where they'd have to look out for each other so I'm not sure what they'd all do.

Lyssa has certainly been quite protective (or possessive?) of both Fitz and Wybie when they were puppies. We had the odd incident of her growling at dogs (usually other bitches) who were paying them what she considered a bit too much attention. That was only when they were really tiny though.

17. Nataliee

Nataliee PetForums VIP

Mine sort of look out for each other, Jake isn't reactive when the other dogs aren't with him.
    One day I was walking him down the road with the GSD I was looking after & a neighbours Lab tried attacking the GSD as he walked past. Now this GSD was a 43kg in tact male, that is not always tolerant of other dogs so I thought oh crap this wont end well. Who piped up to put the Lab in its place? That would be Jake the 2.6kg no nuts chihuahua :eek:
    It was only a bark at him, but he believed he'd sorted him out :)

18. Leanne77

Leanne77 PetForums VIP

My dogs have never been attacked so not sure what they'd do tbh. Flynn is the natural protector and carer but whether he'd go as far as to intervene in a situation I dont know. When other dogs have reacted negatively towards any of mine, say one of them has been told off by a bitch for overstepping the mark, the others dont bat an eyelid, but if it was a full on attack i'm not sure what would happen.

19. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Hope Skip's ok!

Bear joins in if Zak attacks another dog :( It's a pack thing, he joins in with his brother, hence why they very rarely go out together. He's not aggressive when alone or with Brig.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice