Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your dog choose

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rona, Jan 28, 2012.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

the walk route?

Alf is lame at the moment and he is having to have much shorter walks, or so he's supposed to :rolleyes: Took him out yesterday morning on one of our usual walks but I tried to shorten it!! If looks could kill :lol:

This morning I was going to take him to the playing field across the road, but as soon as we were out of the garden he turned the wrong way for that, I just went with him and he chose every turn we took! He didn't try and take me on a long one this morning thank goodness, or I could have had a very sulky Goldie ;)

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

How nice of you to let him choose his own walk!:)
    I couldnt do that.. Hannah would just follow her nose and drag all of us into the road after 'pavement buffet'!!:rolleyes:

3. rona

It's something I've done with all my dogs as they have reached about 8-9 years old :D
    Not all the time but when it's convenient :)

4. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

Pavement - park walks no but off lead at the common pretty much so...

I did try to shorten the walk for Oscar but I took the turning for the shortcut and he buggered off down the normal path , so it wasnt a great sucess!

I just do the walk slower so he isnt under any strain trying to keep up and I have my sling ready just in case he does need help.

5. rona

I'm sorry I must have missed it :blush:
    Why is Oscar having problems?

6. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

No - I'm mean they go the way I want to :p

To be fair though although I do walk in countryside the footpath network is a bit limiting and going left instead of right could take us miles from home :eek:

7. Spud the Bull Terrier

Spud the Bull Terrier PetForums Senior

Spudley is a bit of a funny onion when it comes to walking. He has walking routes which are " the right way " and walking routes which are "the wrong way" if you turn down a street that he deems is “the wrong way”, the breaks go on and he refuses to go any further. Or even if you walk the wrong way down a street he isn’t happy. If I walk round the block anticlockwise he is quite happy, but if I walk round clockwise and he refuses to walk. also some roads he is only happy walking on one side, or if I don't cross the road at a particular point he isn't happy. I try not to let him dictate to me where we are going to walk but some times it’s just easier to give in and let him have his way.

I have on a couple of occasions set off with him and just let him lead me where he wants to go. its quite interesting to just let him decide where to go and just follow behind.

#7 Spud the Bull Terrier, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  8. dorrit

dorrit PetForums VIP

He has some arthritis and theres extra wear on his knee, proberbly in part due to his early mistreatment..Beating and starvation..
    Then last year he had an accident and hurt his back he was virtually paralyzed in his rear legs for a couple of weeks but fought back..

It all adds up to a bit of a shakey rear end....

Oh and now he has some glaucoma...
    But he will be 11 in a couple of weeks..

9. rona

Oh right, he sounds like a little fighter :)

10. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

No I don't let Charlie choose. We have 2 or 3 set routes and I choose which one we're going on depending on how long a walk I want to take him on.

BUT, when we're at the park (in the middle of one of our walks) or it's a field walk, I follow him so he can follow his nose! :)

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo can be very much like this on pavement walks ^^^^^^.

I will let him choose if it's an amble in the countryside and we have a choice of paths up to a point, but if I want to follow a set route then he has no choice.

I will 'listen' to him over things though. He has not wanted to run twice (usually loves it) and refused to have his harness on. Both times I just went for an offlead walk with him instead, both times he didn't have his usual energy and just pottered - and both times he had a bit of a dodgy stomach so had obviously not felt like running. Seeing as I do it for his pleasure as well as mine I won't 'make' him walk or run.

#11 Dogless, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012
  12. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

Archie and Buzz love going on the same route all the time but Domino likes to choose. If I let Domino decide which way we walk we end up at the groomers! He loves going to see Jo his groomer.

Val xx

13. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Bella is neither old, nor unwell - just very spoilt! I would say she gets to choose half the walks!:)

14. rona

Well I expected nothing less of you ;)

15. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

If I let my dog choose the walk he would head to the same place that he loves every single day, a few times a day! So I have to bribe him to go in a totally different direction which he often isn't happy with! But we both enjoy the different route, once he gets going!

16. Honey Bee

Honey Bee PetForums VIP

Actually we rarely walk the same way as the big park gives me too much choice. I've tried to get Honey to choose her walks in the past but she just turns round and stares blankly at me. :D She's a Libran and they are well known for their indecisiveness! (I should know cos I'm one too) Anyway I need a plan in my mind to begin with or we end up walking round and round in circles! :rolleyes:

17. ginge2804

ginge2804 PetForums VIP

To an extent yes...
    When we come out of our house, we can either go left or right to 2 different places... I decide which way we go then, as it depends which walk I feel like doing... If we go left, then she leads me but she goes the way I would have gone anyway, as she is so used to it by now...
    If we go right, we go round in a big circle, and as we are comin back towards the house, there are three different paths we can take, all take the same amount of time and both lead to the same place, so I let her decide which path she wants to go down :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice