Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your children have their own pet?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by PoisonGirl, Jul 7, 2009.

?

Do your children have their own pet?

1. Yes

20 vote(s)
    87.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    13.0%
  1. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I was just thinking about something I was posting on, and wondered how many of your children have their own pet, and how much of the responsibility do they share?

I always thought it would be a good idea for my son to have his own pet to teach him a bit about being responsible while he is still young.
    I was going to get him sea monkeys as they are fairly easy to look after and he is only 4. My little brother had them and he killed them because my dad left them on the window sill and Harvey thought they might like some tomato ketchup!! :eek:

Do you think having a pet is a good way to teach responsibility?

x

2. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

I voted YES.

In theory, Monty belongs to the kids. They (mainly DD) are the reason we wanted a dog. My kids are 13 and 10, old enough to take a share of responsibility I think, but ultimately I'm the one that is responsible for him. I'm down as owner on his papers but even if I wasn't I would be the one to see to his well being.

DD is currently nagging for a gerbil which she says will live in its cage in her bedroom and be called "Fluffy". I've said of course she can have one ..... the day she moves out into a place of her own.

I know for a fact, I would be the one seeing to the gerbil, and I really don't want to and that's what I've told her. I have visions of it escaping and chewing through wires and Monty chasing it and killing in, oh heck can't face that. Sorry to everyone who has them and I agree with DD they are incredibly cute things, all curled up and sleeping in PAH, but I gotta draw the line somewhere.

Two goldfish ago, I wasn't having any more of them, but now our numbers are back up to three.

To be clear - yes, but parent needs to be a safety net for the sake of the pet, whatever the age of the children. I can see me being a dogsitter for DD's pack, I just know it LOL

#2 westie~ma, Jul 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  3. Tula

Tula PetForums Member

My daughter has her own hawk. She weighs him, guts his food, flies him and feeds him. She's had to learn how to keep him fit and healthy and how to train him. I can go out with her with one of my birds and we fly them together.
    [​IMG]

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Don't have a kid :eek:

When I was younger I had my own rabbits, etc and I took sole care of them. I intend to do this with my own children to teach them responsibilities and respect :D

5. happytails

happytails PetForums Newbie

Yes My Children Have Their Own Pets & I Voted As Yes.....:)

6. happytails

happytails PetForums Newbie

My Son has her own dogs. She weighs him, guts his food, flies him and feeds him.

7. maxravi

maxravi PetForums Newbie

Yes I am also agree with this..My kids have their own pets .. one dog and nice cat and both living happily!!

8. missyme

missyme PetForums VIP

my boys have a cat each scott has smudge and ross has looshus but harley is mine ross is about to get some gold fish
    but really i look after them all

9. I voted no because i tihnk my daughter is too young to be given full responsibility without input from me for a pet, she's almost 5.

However i am getting her a hamster soon, and although i will be encouraging her to help with the cleaning, feeding, and playing i take responsibility for it.

I hope that makes sense... there wasnt a "sort of" option on the poll!

10. animallover111

Wow thats a big responsibility for your daughter her own hawk,my daughter has a new budgie a bit like a hawk:)rolleyes: lol) got to admit im scared to death of birds when they fly!!

I voted YES my daughter has her own Pony and budgie,and Poppy our SBT belongs to my son,though both my children help out with all the dogs.

11. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

5 of the 6 mice belong to my daughter, she loves to clean the cage:confused:, I have to admit that I am the one who remembers when they need cleaning, feeding etc and I obviously pay for everything :rolleyes:.

12. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I don't have kids obviously.
    But since I was about 8 I've had hamsters and have had up to about 6 at a time and cared for about 40 hamsters including the babies we had, but have kept 15 until they passed away and I have two at the moment.

I have always looked after them myself as the rest of my family wasn't really keen on them, I helped cleaned them out [my mum washed the base etc, I put the new sawdust, bedding etc in], fed them, watered them, played with them. However, when I was younger my mum paid for all the cages, food, toys, hamsters themselves.

There was only one out of all the hamsters I've had that my mum got attached to.

Now I pay for everything, clean them out all by myself, feed them and give them water and play with them.

13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Bandit is Ben's dog. When w ehad him he was 16 months old and terrified of everything that moved but Ben worked with him and he's fine now. He's had Bandit for 5 1/2 years so he was nearly 12 when he first had his own dog. Bandit is registered at the KC with Ben as his owner but he does co own all the others apart from Owen who belongs souly to me.

14. piggybaker

piggybaker PetForums VIP

My son ownes the cats, he feeds them waters them and loves them and puts them out in the morning, we do the cats litter, he is 8 but i still feel cat poo is a grown up job,

My daughter has a guinea, but to be honest i do them as my pigs are with him, but she does feed them and help clean out on muck out day,

The snails belong to all and we all pitch in when we do them.

15. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I voted YES..

My daughter who is nine has her own pets, she has her own Budgie, we brought her another Hamster last week after her other passed away at the grand old age of 3 & she also has her own coldwater aquarium which has Goldfish and White Cloud Mountain Minnows. She takes all the responsibility for her pets and does a grand job, I'm very proud of her :)

16. Chillinator

Chillinator Guest

Being a kid myself I have quite a few pets.... :D

2x Leopard geckos (soon to be six)
    1x Crested gecko
    1x Corn snake
    1x Phelsuma laticauda day gecko
    1x African hognose snake
    1x Aquarium (plus one cycling)
    1x Dog (my Golden retriever, Bailey)

Coming soon...

3x Tropiocolotes steudneri
    Two more aquariums

I've always believed that the best time to have pets is when you're young.

17. Cuddypuppy

Cuddypuppy PetForums Member

My daughters are aged 9 and 10. We have two russian dwarf hamsters (Ronnie and Reggie). They help to clean them out, feed them, remove any uneaten fruit, change the water and of course give them cuddles. I have to say that even though they help out, that I am responsible for the hamsters and I probably handle them a lot more, especially at night when the kids are asleep and the hammies are awake.

We are getting a pug puppy in less than 2 weeks and the children will help out with training etc., but again, as an adult, I will take full responsibility.

18. animallover111

I find some of my daughters friends who have not been brought up around animals are petrified some of her friends are scared of the dogs and many wont go near the ferrets,i admit our house is a mad house but i do feel if its possible to get children used to animals from a young age!Brogan became even more popular with her friends when she got her pony though. :)

19. claire

claire Guest

Mine are too young yet but i will let them when they are old enough, i think its good for them

20. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I think it's good for them too!

Jumberlina has a Parson terrier & Abbie has a shared responsibility of the cold water fish :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice