Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do your cats wear collars

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by dave2506, Jul 1, 2009.

1. dave2506

dave2506 PetForums Newbie

Just wondering whether people have collars on their cats (I know this might sound like a daft question!). Reason I ask is that my parents cats have never worn collars and when they've tried to make them wear them they always managed to lose them within a couple of days.

We will be getting our kittens chipped before they are allowed outside but wanted peoples opinions on whether they would also make them wear collars (in which case it would be better to get them used to them now rather than later).

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

None of my 5 do. We did try with our avid hunter, but they kept coming off, and i personally think they are dangerous.

All mine are chipped.

3. WittyKitty

WittyKitty Guest

Nope. I had a quick release collar for my kitty but she learned pretty quickly how to get it off :eek: She only wears a collar if she is outside on her harness now.

4. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Yeah i got a collar on my cat she has kept it on ....:D but my old cats didnt well apart from an old lady taken them of my cats to put on here stray cats..:eek::mad:

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

All my mum's cats are chipped but only the indoor cats wear collars.

6. dave2506

Cool I will probably keep them collar-free then. If they ever were to go missing then they will be chipped so should be OK.

Can't believe that old lady stealing the collars to put on her own cats - it's not as if they're expensive! :eek:

7. scosha37

scosha37 PetForums VIP

Tell me about it!...she even got one of my old cats....:eek: long story..

8. spiffy

spiffy PetForums Junior

I do not have collars on my cats. My older cat has lost 2 in the span of the 3 months I've had him. I suspect he either takes the collars off or somebody steals them.

9. dave2506

Oh dear - she sounds lovely! Thankfully our neighbours are really nice and there are loads of cats on our road - plenty to go around hopefully!

10. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont coz mine are confined to the house and my garden but for free roaming kitties I think I would.
    My friend has just taken in a ?3-4month old kitty she found sitting in the middle of the road without a collar. She was worried about traffic but although he might be chipped she has no way of knowing. She is putting up posters to say she has found him but it could of saved his owners (presuming he has any) alot of stress if he had an address attached..:)
    Oh and dont worry if no one comes forward he will be off to the vet for a quick scan!!

11. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Nope mine dont!

Elvis lost about 14 as a kitten, I even put little notes on them in the end!! :D lol!

I dont like collars, one cat has them round here & You always know what cat it is as you here his little bell going, must Realy annoy that cat constantly jingling! :rolleyes:

I think thats the only cat with a collar round here aswell!

12. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

I have a collar on my cat. It has a bell on it so I can hear her. It's very useful when I am calling her in after dark. In a 3 storey house, I need to know if I am wasting my time calling when she is on the top floor lol

13. Jen26

Jen26 PetForums VIP

When I used to have an out door cat, she had a collar on with a magnet for the cat flap. All sorts of stuff used to get stuck to it, nails, screws, once she came with a stanley knife blade stuck to it!!:(

I changed the flap then for one of the chip ones. I only have indoor cats now so no need for a collar, they are all chipped though.

14. shezzy

shezzy PetForums Senior

My cat wears a collar and so far, touch wood, she hasn't lost it. Quite a few cats around my area wear collars, but only one other cat has a bell on it. I also find the bell usfull when I call her in at night.

15. dave2506

This is the only thing that concerns me to be honest. If I suspected a lost cat then I would take it to the vet or rescue centre to be scanned for a chip however not everyone would know to do that!

Similar to all these stories in the newspaper recently about people getting struck by lightning when they've been sheltering under trees in a thunder storm :confused: I assumed everyone knew that this is a pretty daft idea but then again what I assume is common sense is not necessarily known to everyone!

16. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Just wanted to mention: The reason why my mum's outdoor cats don't wear collars is because we have had phone calls about them being caught on branches etc and going crazy. Nobody could get near them apart from us to take the collars off and she doesn't want to risk any of them being strangled to death.

17. andywest

andywest PetForums Junior

I've only had one cat, and she has wore a collar since she was a few months old. Never really bothered her.

18. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

Like your parents cat sheldon doesnt like wearing a collar but he has now learned the only way he gets to go outside is with his collar on, and he only tries to get it off wen he comes back inside.

guess its jst preference and if your gettin your kitten chipped then its not as needed, altho im not sure how accessible ppl think findin out if a lost cat is chipped is. so may be worth puttin a collar on too to say your kitten is chipped

good luck with wat you decide

19. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

Gizmo doesn't wear a collar - he loses them too quickly. Mai Tai has one on that says she is microchipped just in case she escapes but it's quite handy to be able to hear where she is in the house by the little bell:)

20. Tillski

Tillski PetForums Member

Tilly does wear a quick release collar and it doesn’t seem to bother her and she’s never lost it. She doesn’t go out a great deal but when she has there have been one or two occasions of her getting herself a bit lost and I think that not everybody would bother to take a cat and get them scanned for a chip so if she has her collar on which has a tag with our phone number on we might get her back a bit quicker. She also has a bell on it because like a few others, it comes in very handy knowing where she is when she’s outside. However, the cat nextdoor recently had a bell put on his collar too and now I never know if it’s Tilly behind the fence or Archie!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice