Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you walk your dogs separately or together?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by McKenzie, Jul 9, 2019.

1. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Those of you with multiple dogs, do you walk them separately or together?

I've always walked my two together, except in special circumstances e.g. when one of them can't go for walks, mainly because it takes less time! However, recently I've had cause to walk them separately a few times and realised I actually really enjoy it.

If I take just Elliot we can set a faster pace and not have to keep stopping for Kenzie to catch up. I don't need to take treats with me, and Elliot's so well behaved that it's a really easy, carefree walk.

If I just take McKenzie I can totally focus on her and let her potter and sniff to her heart's delight without needing to hurry her along. She is totally happy to be on the flexi so I can take her to a few places that I wouldn't take Elliot due to the proximity of a road (Elliot really needs the opportunity to stretch his legs off-lead). It doesn't matter if we don't cover much distance and I feel like she really enjoys the 1-1 time.

Of course it's lovely to have them out together too, and Kenzie gets more exercise when she has to keep up with Elliot, but I might make an effort to get them out separately more often.

I'm interested in what everyone else does and how it works for you :)

#1 McKenzie, Jul 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
    ForestWomble, magpi and Sarah H like this.
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Most of the time I walk them separately. If we go together it's most likely early so we do not see anyone.

Loki still needs a lot of training so it's good to do 1:1. Sox can be reactive and is worse with Loki as Loki gets excited if he sees another dog. They are both very strong. Sox doesn't pull but Loki can do.

I much prefer walking them separately the only issue is time and it can be a lot of walking. I enjoy spending 1:1 time together. They seem to enjoy both. I hope when Loki calms down we can go out together more often.

LinznMilly, magpi, Sarah H and 3 others like this.
  3. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

Separately 95% of the time. Trying to control 70kgs of extremely prey driven dog when they see a cat/other furry is....challenging. I live in a town and they are everywhere. On the very odd occasion they walked together, it’s in the car in the middle of no where, with one kept on a lead. They don’t get let off together now.

LinznMilly, magpi, Sarah H and 2 others like this.
  4. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

Monday to Friday they are walked together I go out with them around 5am so we don't get bothered by other dogs we go to our caravan on the weekends so are walked separately Liam gets an offlead walk with me and Floyd in kept onlead as he is dog reactive:)

magpi, Sarah H, McKenzie and 2 others like this.
  5. pinklizzy

pinklizzy PetForums Senior

I nearly always walk mine together due to time constraints, I only really take them separately if one is unwell or if I get called out late at night-because I walk in I will take Biggles with me.

6. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

My dogs are of different ages, different breeds and different sizes so in essence their needs are all different which means I tend to mix and match their exercise routines.

I often give my youngest (Lab) extra running on her own as she loves a good work out but i will also run my two labs together over the fields.

The smaller dogs sometimes come to the fields too but they tend to flush and scent more than my Labs so again often need my attention for that.

I do a lot of walking :D

J

magpi, Sarah H, McKenzie and 4 others like this.
  7. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Bit of both. Like jgw, mine have totally different needs. Tilly does much better on a one to one with me. Her 'walks' really need to be training walks to keep her fully engaged with me. If i take a couple of dummies and do some training along the way, she is a really fun dog to take out as she loves doing anything like that and is very keen.

She gets a lot more exercise than murph too. She does her canni cross, rally o, has an extra evening walk and i usually fit in some training with her outside too.

However, at the moment, she is being pretty good on recall and not going awol lately so their main walk has been together for a while. Tilly runs like the wind back and forth, murph tries to rein her in a bit and then usually poddles along beside me.

Murph is the better dog for a relaxing walk. If i am going with a friend, i will more likely take him. He doesnt range far, he is a joy to walk on lead.
    Tilly keeps me on my toes. I need to keep an eye on her.

LinznMilly, magpi, Sarah H and 4 others like this.
  8. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I tend to do 2 and 2, although occasionally I'll walk somebody on their own which can be nice quality time! Usually its Alfie and Heidi as both are fearful I try and tailor their walk to avoid stress as much as possible....also they are both quite speedy and like a fast walk. Unlike Adam and Hannah who want to potter and meander and sniff everything.
    Only combo I dont do is Alfie and Adam coz they would probably try to kill each other!:rolleyes:

9. Westie Mum

Westie Mum PetForums VIP

Weekends and when OH is home we walk them together as he drives so we go out to the woods and let them off lead.

In the week, its either the local park or pavement plodding (which i hate!) so i take them in 2's or if its raining or cold then sometimes only Oscar as cant budge the girls off the sofa!

Occasionally if i walk up to my mums without OH then i will take one of the dogs with me, cant take anymore than one as her dog gets a bit overwhelmed with all of mine!

10. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums VIP

I only have Woody at the moment, but my daughter has the two mastiffs Elsie and George. She walks them together when she needs to get them out before work. They are very very well lead trained, which is handy as between them they weigh 120 kilos.
    She also takes them out together when they have off lead time and a good old run, but also walks them separately, she was concerned that George was becoming rather too reliant on Elsie always being by his side, so she's working on trying to help him be a little more independent.
    She also likes the one to one time that walking them separately gives her with each of them.

11. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Mine are walked together. Even when I had 4 dogs they were walked together. Never crossed my mind to do anything different . They interact together and enjoy each other's company. A couple of months ago my brother was staying and my husband wanted to carry on longer walks with him so a couple of times I turned round and walked a shorter way with Candy (my constraints not Candys) and surprisingly neither dog even looked back, they just accepted that we were in 2 parties. It was quite nice only having one dog to keep an eye on.

12. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Bit of both. Initially walked them separately for the majority when Toby was a pup/adolescent. More likely to walk them together these days to save two trips out but sometimes it's nice to have individual walks.
    Despite Toby mostly being walked without his big bro when he was little I have noticed he can get nervy on walks without 'back up', which is obviously a worry. Want to work on him gaining confidence without having Gelly there but unsure on the best way to go about it... that's for another thread.

magpi, Sarah H, Boxer123 and 3 others like this.
  13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Together. Although if I'm going to go out to do something like post a letter, I'll take just one with me, to get some 1-on-1 time. When Ziggy was old and couldn't manage the same walk as the younger ones, I'd take them all out for a short walk, then drop Zigs back home and take the others out for longer.

magpi, Sarah H and Boxer123 like this.
  14. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

Together.
    If I took one without the other there would be hell to pay ! Reena has a whole new interest in walking since we got Bobby, it was evident from their very first walk together. She has some off lead time as her recall is excellent and she doesn't wander more than a few feet away, Bobby isn't trustworthy enough yet.
    As Bobby does need more excercise,and is reluctant to toilet in the garden at night, I've persuaded OH to take him for an extra walk late evenings. These are optionalfor Reena but she usually wants to tag along.

magpi and Sarah H like this.
  15. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Bit of everything! Like others have said mine have different needs and abilities, as well as issues! Fly can't go off lead in most places and having the others run around winds him up, so he goes out for lead walks on his own. Plus he's a sprinter and not built for long walks so as long as he gets a good run round our fields once a day he's done really. The other 2 are walked together and apart and can go for however long you want really. Nooka isn't keen on other dogs so I avoid dog heavy areas, and she can go off chasing a small furry if she feels like it! Whereas Puzzle pretty much gets on with everyone, listens, doesn't chase, and is just a joy to walk! I take him out on his own when a I want a relaxed time with no worries when I see people or dogs or other animals. It makes me feel slightly guilty but Nooka and Fly get 1-2-1 walks too, they're just not quite as easy or care-free!
    I have to say I'm quite lazy and the dogs don't go out for 'walks' as such every day. But we have our own 11 acres of land so they get plenty of exercise and stimulation and we do lots of games and training.

magpi likes this.
  16. Goldstar

Goldstar PetForums VIP

I walk both of mine together, even though Lucky is 9 years old and Chewy only 6 months, I find they have the same amount of energy and keep up with each other well on walks.
    The only time I’ll take Chewy out on his own is if I’m going to B&Q, [email protected] or some other shop that allows dogs.
    Chewy loves going around the shops with me, whereas Lucky gets diarrhoea and does about 70 poops all over the floor.
    She just doesn’t enjoy going shopping.

magpi and Boxer123 like this.
  17. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I always walk mine together apart from special circumstances. They are walked for 45-60 minutes twice a day and time wouldn't allow me to walk them separately particularly in the Winter months.

magpi likes this.
  18. magpi

magpi PetForums Senior

Before Suzie became a house dog, I used to walk them together and at wkends OH would take Belle on a yomp around the common, I would take Suzie shopping in town which she loved, because Belle hated town and Suzie hated the common. It was nice bonding time with Suzie she would get fussed she loves people. As they've aged their needs have changed and Suzie just goes on the field out front, Belle and I go out alone. I miss those times in town with Suzie,

19. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Separately. Missy just physically can not walk with the boys anymore, can barely walk at all tbh :( So it's either a mix of the boys out together in quiet locations or Missy & Ty together with her in her buggy. Cash gets a solo walk everyday too.

Sarah H and magpi like this.
  20. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

Mine are always separately I just couldn't physically hold more than one should they decide to lunge (at a dog or cat for example )

I'd love to be able to take both newfies out together as separately their behaviour is brilliant but put them together and they lunge and scream and get way overexcited.

Sam needs my full attention due to his propensity for kicking off at random dogs

Sarah H likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice