Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you use trip advisor for reviews or post

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Creativecat, May 21, 2017.

1. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

Why I say tht is Friday night me and the OH had a Mexican meal we reviewed the restaurant and it had nice reviews . We went in and had a bad experience we ordered steaks for starters we ordered onion rings to share well they came out expecting a bowl full we got 5 onion rings u would get out of Iceland on a piece of wood tht looked like it came out of a skip and some dried lettuce no seasoning or dressing so not good . The steaks came cooked to
    Our preference but the meat was seasoned but chewy and. Grissley we was well disappointed again on another slab if wood with a half cooked onion the size of a quales egg and a fragment of tomato. Don't these chefs
    Look at what they turn out . We had some drinks no ice and a McDonald's straw . £32 later so dissapointed . Feel
    Like reviewing the place
    But unsure as they seem like a nice friendly team but the food was dismal .

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Rather then leaving bad reviews, why not speak up there and then?

Or contact the restaurant directly?

If they dont know there is a problem, then they cant do anything.

Bad reviews often come across as petty and vindictive.

Verbal communication goes a long way.

3. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Did you say anything whilst you were in there? I always tell them if something is off so they can address it. I find it a fairer than slagging them off on a website.

To be honest, if I have ever looked at TA in the past I ignore the really glowing reviews (related to the place?) and the really bad ones (axe to grind?). So there's not much point really.

4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Cross posted with Nonnie :)

5. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

If it's a chain, contact the Customer Relations and let them know. If it's independently owned, call the restaurant when it's not busy and ask to speak to the owner. They need to know but it could have been just one bad night. I've been a waitress and sometimes you get shifts where everything goes wrong not matter how had you try. Or you get a chef go off sick at the start which means the kitchen is under pressure and they skimp on the food. This can happen even in really good restaurants.

Creativecat likes this.
  6. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

I always give my feedback there and then and have rewarded for doing so with free meals, drinks, extra points (if I am a member of that group of hotels) etc.

As previously said nobody can correct mistakes if they are not informed etc

I do give reviews also on TA and am very fair eg say service is brilliant but unfortunately food less so etc.

simplysardonic and Creativecat like this.
  7. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

I am fairly vocal in general but never rude or make a scene. But your right if there not aware they can't correct the problems . I like to gather my thoughts then make a comment then say something off the cuff. Plus my partner is quite placid and doesn't like to make a scene .

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

I think it's a mighty great big winge fest and I ignore most bad reviews because people should say something and allow the business to correct it at the time. Nobody has to make a 'scene' unless they choose to go all mardy and loud, but can ask to have a quiet word and explain their disappointment.

If they don't then yes the review is validated but otherwise absolutely not. I occasionally use it to reward praise were it's due because please and thank you are rarely used phrases these days.

Lurcherlad and AlexPed2393 like this.
  9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I rely on reviews for hotels. The most helpful ones give accounts of how staff react to requests or problems i.e. something was said at the time.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  10. TallulahCat

TallulahCat PetForums VIP

I've only looked on there once, after I stayed at a B&B. I wanted to leave a review as I found it absolutely lovely. I was really surprised when I looked as the reviews were really mixed, with some negative reviews that really did not ring true. If I'd read them before, I would not have booked!

11. AlexPed2393

AlexPed2393 PetForums VIP

I only look at reviews where it clearly states they told the compan there and then and nothing was done, the rest.... meh

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You do get to know those which are just for the sake of ranting and people who want something for nothing. I'm about to do one for a place I stayed at last week and it will follow the general trend. The place was great value and very comfortable with fantastic staff. Was it a five star hotel for three star money? Of course it wasn't but I'd go back.

eta - it was my second choice. The first place I'd booked had a lot of negative comments on something I thought couldn't be true. It niggled me enough that eventually I phoned the hotel to check and guess what - it was. Free cancellation is a great thing :)

#12 havoc, May 22, 2017
    Last edited: May 22, 2017
  13. shadowmare

shadowmare The dog doesn't bite, me on the other hand...

I only look at tripadvisor when looking for a hotel. I like to have a look at people's photos as they are more representative than the professional photos presented on the hotel websites.
    From my experience working in restaurants... I never understood some of the overly dramatic negative reviews that could've been sorted at that time by a manager. Fair enough if the problem was pointed out and still not taken care of by the management - I would definitely speak up about it. All places that I've worked in would happily either cook you a new dish or take this off of your bill. The last one many times has invited such unlucky customers to come back for a free dinner and this was an expensive place.
    I tend to mistrust negative reviews that talk about terrible food etc but have no indication of whether this was brought to the attention of management or even the server... I know of several occasions where another restaurant or individual would encourage staff and friends to post bad reviews! My ex was actually reviewed by the same ex colleague for 2 different bars he's worked in!
    That being said - if the place has generally a low score across many reviews then I wouldn't go there. However, if the score is good overall and there's just occasional 1 star with loads of complaints, I wouldn't pay much attention to it. I myself normally give places 2 chances as I know through working in the industry that everyone has a bad day - to me it's more about how the issues are being dealt with.

AlexPed2393 likes this.
  14. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I do look, but tend to rely on the majority reviews as a guide, rather than one or two extreme, complaining ones.

Personally, I am inclined to say something at the time if I'm not happy but would not send food back in a restaurant as I have heard some horror stories! I will, however, express my dissatisfaction/disappointment calmly and politely and if they apologise and/or take a portion off the bill then I would give them a second chance on another occasion.

Sometimes they can just have a bad day but how they deal with it can make a huge difference.

If, on the other hand, they display a "couldn't care less attitude" then that would be it - no second chance from me and I will tell anyone who asks what I think of the place! ;)

15. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

I use it to find dog friendly places when I'm going on holiday. If you add 'dog' as an extra for the search function it can help find them. I'm not interested in the reviews (unless every single one was dire). There is a great garden centre that got a poor review. They weren't happy that when their child fell over they didn't get a free toy?!

16. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I do tend to use more than one review site. Factual reviews aren't a whinge fest. I do find it useful to know that a hotel has smaller than average rooms - not a problem if I'm travelling alone, or that one idiot hotel has renovated its rooms and the wall between bathroom and bedroom is now clear glass. That too is fine if I'm alone but not otherwise. These aren't good or bad reviews as such, they're useful extra information.

Lurcherlad and MollySmith like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice