Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you use air freshener in your home?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Lumboo, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

I was just wondering if there are any natural ones that wouldn't be an issue with the cats. I know some can cause harm.

Their litter doesn't smell, but I hate the smell of wet cat food, although I don't want to be spraying air freshers around their food for obvious reasons, but don't like the lingering smell that remains.

It is a bit hard for me, as I don't actually have a great sense of smell anymore due to a sinus infection, so I can't smell kitty litter but have a made up smell for their food. It is very frustrating as I have to rely on others like my husband to tell me what smells and what doesnt!

Anyway, back to the issue of cat smells, I take away any food they don't finish but was wondering what you all use to get rid of those cat releated smells.

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sorry cant really help.I use a feliway diffuser so it would be a bit counter productive to be using airfresheners,although I cant say I feel a need to use one.if there is a "cat smell" either I dont notice it or I dont mind it ;)

3. honeysmummy

honeysmummy PetForums VIP

I have febreze plug ins in different rooms of my house. Vets told me it would not affect the cats :)

4. Donskie

Donskie PetForums Member

Afraid I can't help much on that one either. I do not use them as don't seem to notice any catty smells in our house, even visitors commented that they couldn't smell any cats even when we had 7 cats n kittens in the house last year. All litter trays are cleaned twice daily as are all food bowls. My lot won't eat their food unless it is in a clean bowl, they are so fussy but know their human slave will bow down to their every need. :D

5. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

there is a febreeze pet safe one if that helps
    :)

6. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

The kittens have dry food in their bowls at all times, but it doesn't really smell. I give them wet food in the morning and evenings and bin anything that isn't eaten within half an hour and then wash the bowl out.

My husband says the flat doesn't smell so maybe it is just me making smells up. I ate roast chicken yesterday and all I could smell was cat food!

The litter doesn't smell at all (well, I can't smell it) as it is cleaned as soon as they do a poo and the urine smell is currently contained in their enclosed cat loo. I will change the whole litter tomorrow evening.

On another note, this morning they used the liter tray at the same time side by side, and they shifted over to make room for one another. I had two symetrically lined poos to clean...I was most impressed! :blink:

7. GreyHare

GreyHare Guest

I will occasionally squirt the carpets with Simple Solution but thats to rid it of any smells not just cats, but no no air fresheners here I have serious health doubts about the plug in ones and they are a fire risk too, I don't think my house smells catty and I have asked visitors if they notice a smell and they never say that it smells.

8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

To be honest I find cooking smells more offensive than anything cats can throw at me.Fish & fry ups ect stink :tongue_smilie: and linger longer than any cat food/poo known to man :D

9. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I use citronella oil, diluted in a squirty bottle and find that refreshing, sometimes spray on dogs to keep flies off em as it's harmless, especially bitches in heat :D

10. Abster21

Abster21 PetForums Junior

Try different wet cat foods too - some smell absolutely disgusting, but some (probably the higher quality end) don't smell that bad at all. Or is there another room they could eat in that can be closed off to the rest of the house / aired regularly?

11. missye87

missye87 PetForums VIP

I'm the same! Cats if kept properly don't really smell much, but if people are cooking fish it makes me want to hurl :eek:

12. Lumboo

Lumboo PetForums VIP

The kittens don't smell and neither does their litter. I think it is their food smell I just dislike (or think I can smell)

I may change the brand and see if that helps, although I have just bought a bulk loads from P@H as it was on offer so will have to deal with at least 3 months of this smell...imagined or otherwise.

Their food is in the kitchen so the smell doesn't come through to the rest of the flat, although it is the first room you see when you come through the front door.

At the moment we can open windows in there to let out the smell and I may keep an air gel in there as well just until I become immune to the smell of cat food.

13. my bengal boys

my bengal boys PetForums Newbie

I use freebreze on my furniture , but avoid using any other sprays , ive been told by visitors the home doesnt smell of cats , we clean the toilet box every time they poo as they wont use it if we dont ! Fussy boys , they have dried food and wet pouches , any wet food they leave we pick up and clean the bowl straight away , find the dried food doesnt make the poo smell ,

14. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

How about an oil burner in the same room as their food? Surely that's not harmful and you can get a wide range of aroma's.

15. Marley boy

Marley boy PetForums VIP

i am very smell consious so my litter tray is cleaned every day fully using a litter tray cleaner and boiling water, also i always have a plugin or vanilla jossticks (my fave) to hide any smells

16. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

But with an oil burner, there's a lit candle. I don't know about everyone elses cats, but with mine, that would be an accident waiting to happen as they'd definitely knock it over and set the house on fire :eek:

17. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

Would you need to leave it on long? Just a few minutes (while they're eating and distracted) could do the trick. Perhaps candles are best used under supervision.

18. dougal22

dougal22 Banned

Pre-cat days, I used oil burners a fair bit and to get the fragrance from the oil, you definitely do need to leave it burning for longer than a few minutes. Now I wouldn't risk it. With three high energy cats, I know it would get knocked over.

To the OP - not sure what cat food you're feeding, but some definitely smell more offensive than others. Some of the 'better' smelling ones are the better foods nutritionally too.

19. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Just to add to Dougal22's candle concern, my concern would be with the essential oil. Even inhalation over periods of time can have health effects (liver disease). A quick google will throw up some sites that discuss the possible dangers and the oils most definitely to avoid in detail.

Also agree with Dougal22 re the brand of wet food you feed - perhaps a different brand will suit your cats as well as your nose ;)

20. BAM

BAM PetForums Junior

Do those health effects apply to humans too? I've heard plug-ins are carcinogenic so wonder if the same applies to oils?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice