UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Banned
810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Your dog? For those with children, do you trust your furbaby with them? Just wondering as my two love to lie with bailey and play om the floor with her, but im wondsring if im doing it wrong? Do you allow your kids to play with them?

Why do you think dogs attack there children?

·
We are all Ukraine
23,818 Posts
now i trust my lil one and Scrip more and more...but not totally...though they now bonded beautifully...
I trust eldest, who is 12 with Scrip...on walks..but my boy can be too protective as to letting Scrip play with other dogs....

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Would never trust Kes alone with young children, she is not acclimatised to being manhandled in any way as we've never been physical with her, never had her tail pulled etc. so I would not trust her reaction, nor would I trust her not to crush a kid under her sheer weight!

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Oscar is very nervous around children so no. Sam loves kids but is rough so I wouldn't trust him as he may accidentally hurt them. Neither see children on a regular basis though.

·
Registered
5,512 Posts
I would trust Pippa with my little sister, but if she has any friends over, she has to go in her crate as she is just too bouncy!

Any children (or in fact any people without off lead dogs) where we walk and she is straight on her lead.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I wouldn't trust mine but then she has only ever met a few children. She gets excited around them and you can tell with very young children she doesn't quite know how to handle them. :p

I do plan to have kids one day so I will spend a lot of time acclimatising them to each other. :D

Dunno if I would trust her 100 percent around other peoples kids though even if she was fine with mine.

·
Registered
5,161 Posts
Mine don't live with children,but they love children.:)

All the neighbourhood kids come up to them and throw their arms around them and the dogs love it.

I wouldn't let the children do it if there were any issues,and the kids round here come from families that have dogs too.

·
Registered
1,975 Posts
Hmmm yes and no. I trust normal calm Rufus completely, but my OH's kids have a tendency to wind Rufus up until he goes mental as they think it's hilarious until he ends up accidently hurting them. This is something I tell them not to do every single day and it's slowly sinking in, but it's taken a long long time. Rufus gets over excited easily and when he's giddy he's too much.. he jumps at the kids or tries to grab a toy that's being waved at him and catches their hands.. Then they come ranting and raving saying "Rufus has hurt me.. I hate him!!". Happens all the time, and they just don't get that Rufus will happily either sit quietly with them or play with them in a controlled way if they don't wind him up. He doesn't mean to hurt anyone, he's just boisterous. It's getting better, slowly, but drumming this into the kids heads has been difficult. So no, I wont leave Rufus alone with them, but this isn't because I don't trust Rufus, I don't trust them not to wind him up. It's a shame, because they think he's a bad dog, and they just don't get that they are pushing his buttons and not just leaving him to be a good boy. It's a shame as Rufus loves kids and he's great when kids play with him in a proper way and give him some space and treat him with a bit of respect.

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
I thoroughly trust Scooter. My youngest sister was 2 when he came to live with us, my other sister was 9 and I was 11 so he's always been around children and subsequently teenagers. He'll tolerate their nonsense for hours and take himself off to bed without a fuss when he's tired of it all.
If he hears children playing his tail starts wagging like mad and he used to love going on the school run. He's always been gentle with little people and I think he misses not seeing them much anymore.

I do trust Breeze as she's well mannered with everyone, but I wouldn't subject her to rowdy kids as she doesn't "do" rowdy people! She's very polite and I've never seen a hint of aggression or grouchiness from her but she's not interested in children unless they have food :rolleyes:
If children want to say hello I let them if they're calm and ask them to let her come to them - it's easy to know when she's had enough.

ETA Even though I know mine are child-friendly, I wouldn't leave them alone with a child. That's more because of Scooter's tail than anything else, it's felled a couple of toddlers and my nan!

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
Yes, with my 14 yr old son and his mates but smaller children,no just in case the boys are too bouncy and excited.

·
Registered
6,320 Posts
Tummel is amazing with children so yes i trust him completely(he's had strange kids walk over and hug him randomly and loves it :) ), if he hears a child cry he gets very upset and will try to find them to make them stop, he grew up spending lots of time with OH's young neice and youngest brother so is well used to kids.

Dan isn't quite there yet so no i wouldn't trust him around kids as he loves to hit people with his paws and has started to jump up too(Tummel will jump at adults but not kids and OAP's) but when he's older i'd probably trust him to follow Tummels lead :D

·
Banned
12,275 Posts
Going through some old pictures on my puter, most of them are not on photobucket so too small to see. But it is obvious from the photos that the dog likes to be the child as much as the child likes to be near the dog

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
Yes.

I have always supervised the kids around the dogs, and despite Dave being the one I had worries about taking to a baby- he is incredibly brilliant with Anna. If he doesn't want to be touched, he gets up and goes away.

He lets her play with the tag on his collar, and poke his body parts - I used the dogs to teach her that they have nose, eyes (which she knows not to touch), ears, mouth, toes etc.

Dixie is more likely to move away from Anna- she will let her play with her collar and tags and that's it.

Neither dog has ever growled at the kids, they both know to move if they feel at all uncomfortable though I would still not leave them unnatended cause I do still sometimes tell Anna to leave them alone if I feel she is harassing them.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!:D
I wouldnt trust a kid with my dogs as far as I could throw them! (and I mean a really big, fat kid that would be difficult to throw...) Its a moot point as to how the dogs would be coz Ive yet to meet a kid that I would want near my dogs.:)

G

·
As a kid/dog advocate and educator, I have to preface anything I say by the rule: never leave a young child and dog together unsupervised.

And when you are supervising, make sure you instruct both dog and child in appropriate interactions with each other. You don’t supervise closely as the child pokes the dog in the eye, you supervise closely and STOP the child from poking the dog in the eye :)

Okay, boring stuff over with... I do trust my dogs with my children more than I trust most people honestly! The oldest dog is old and sore and has always been a bit skittish, and he has excellent “flight” skills. He has a ton of places in the house and outside that he can go to where he knows he will be safe and undisturbed.

The other three are attention whores even if the attention involves being in the middle of the chaos that generally surrounds my kids and their friends.
They too have ‘safe spots’ and will retreat to them on the rare occasion they’re not in the mood for kid craziness.

Both kids sleep with a dog in their bed or if its hot on the floor next to the bed. I love that they have each other.

In most of the cases I have more than just passing knowledge of with dogs biting kids, its usually a case of the dog not being respected and the dog’s signals not being heeded over a long period of time. A lot of “she was always so sweet with the kids, they could lay all over her, take food from her, and she never said a peep” type thing. Well, first, the dog’s growl was usually suppressed, all other signals of discomfort totally ignored, until finally one day the dog says enough is enough and expresses her discomfort with being treated rudely.

I think all parents should read a good book on dog body language (Aloff or Rugaas are great authors to check out), and really hone their observation skills so that when they think a dog is okay with something, they can be *really* sure about it.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.