Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you trim your cat's claws?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Jen8971, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

(A wee note I am NOT talking about de-clawing just trimming the very tips of the claw)

I have never trimmed Ash's claws, and never did with my last cat Dave (though I think my friend did trim Dave's claws for 9 years before we adopted him from her). Both indoor boys. A friend of mine commented that we should start trimming Ash's claws while he is young since we get scratched occasionally and he goes for the carpets, but advice online is varied. Some places seem to say it's essential to keep the cat healthy and stop the claws ingrowing, others say not necessary.

His claws are sharp but he is scratching us less and less as he learns not to (a few weeks ago my lower legs and hands/wrists were COVERED in scratches, today I only have maybe 2 scratches on each hand and leg which are healing) and I wouldn't want to do something unpleasant for him if there was no point in doing it. Also not sure I would feel confident doing it without hurting him.

We are getting him used to us touching his paws and do this every day pushing softly on the pads to check his claws, and he lets us do this if he is sleepy, but we have never done anything more than that.

What do those of you with indoor cats do?

2. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

I have always cut my cats' claws a few times a month.

I find it saves catches on my clothes and soft furnishings and it's much more comfortable for my cats as they don't twist around trying to get free from a claw caught in fabric

lymorelynn, Jen8971 and Summercat like this.
  3. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I only trim for a show where it's required. If you are having problems with too sharp claws damaging you it's easy to take just the tips off. Do get a proper pair of claw clippers, nail clippers can split the claw. The sharp tips can come back very quickly, the claw grows as a series of layers like an onion rather than like a dogs claw or human nail.

Do make sure he has suitable scratching areas. They need to be solid so they don't move with the cat using them, and either tall enough for a full-grown cat to stand right up, or that sort of length for a horizontal scratcher.

Jen8971 and Summercat like this.
  4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

I do all my cats claws once or twice a month. I find that most cats manage to keep them a reasonable length if they have scratching poles to help shed the old claw, but sometimes you'll get a cat with a thick claw that doesn't shed properly, or the cat just doesn't use the scratching post that much and this is when you can get a problem as the claw grows round in a circle and will grow into the paw pad. The dew claws are particularly prone to this.

Jen8971 and Summercat like this.
  5. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I have two indoor cats, one adopted from a shelter at around 1.5 years old, Biggles.
    I do trim his nails. I looked up online how to do it properly and how far would be too far.
    I trim with pet nail clippers pretty much at the tips.
    He isn't keen, so I usually do it when he is sleeping, one or two at a time.

Jack, who I had from a kitten lets me trim his nails but I began when he was a kitten to get him used to it. I do it when he is resting, as it is easier since, he is already relaxed.

If you decide to trim your kittens nails, I would handle his paws when he is resting first a few times, just to get him used to his paws being handled.

Get small pet nail clippers, a lot are too big and I think might crush the nail or make it harder to clip.

Jen8971 likes this.
  6. Jen8971

Jen8971 PetForums Member

I am a little worried about Ash's claws as he hasn't taken to scratching posts yet - we have got him several both long horizontal ones and standing ones in different textures (I have another thread on this) but he's still pretty young and hasn't taken to them yet. We are still trying every day. So he doesn't scratch all that much because when he scratches the carpets etc we immediately move him towards a scratching post. Which he doesn't use. So he isn't really scratching anything just now.

He is used to us touching his paws so I don't think it would be a huge effort to start clipping them, we would just need to invest in the right clippers and research how to do it safely.
    I'm mostly glad to hear it isn't an immediate no-no. I think I maybe read something years ago when we got Dave about de-clawing (when I didn't know what de-clawing was) and misunderstood, then thought that meant claw trimming was bad too.

7. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes, mine, on the whole, are very good about it. You have to watch that they don't get so long and curly that they dig into the pad. feeding an old cat for my friend and there were bloody footprints everywhere and one of his claws was actually embedded in the pad. I'd to take him to the vet as I was worried it might get infected.

Summercat and Jen8971 like this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Yep Meeko's are clipped every 2/3 weeks ,as for using scratching posts they wont help much as cats use them more for scent marking and shedding the dead sheaths leaving behind needle sharp claws .

Summercat and Jen8971 like this.
  9. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

I think as @buffie says is correct. I find sheaths near posts but my boys have sharp nail tips, so I trim them.
    Jack who is easy, every few weeks when I think about it and Biggles when I catch him napping somewhere I can clip a few.
    I only clip the front paws, never the back. The back get worn down enough on the wooden floors.
    If Ash is not using his scratchers, try putting near entrances to rooms or flat ones in areas he has scratched the carpet.

10. Olaf1

Olaf1 PetForums Junior

If it's indoor I would trim them.
    For an outdoor cat, I would keep them. It's quite useful out there.

slw and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice