Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think your dog can get bored of the same walk?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Jackie99, May 13, 2010.

1. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Do you take your dog on the same walk each day?

Is that because you just like that walk or there is limited walking places for dogs in your area?

Or have you a few places you go to?

Do you think it makes a difference or that it doesn't really matter as long as they are getting that exercise? I took my dog to a new area yesterday and he was totally not interested in anything around him. 50 dogs could have passed and he would have ignored them!! He just wanted to sniff and run about the new interesting ground!

2. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

I tend to alternate, there are about 5/6 walks that I regularly do so I tend to choose which one we are going on depending on where weve been the previous walk.

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Yes I think they could get bored - and so would I - on the same walk every time. But saying that, it would still be better than no walk at all for sure!

I tend to have a few places we walk regularly - and each one is big enough that we can do different routes when we are there too. These are the ones I tend to do in the week.

Then at the weekends we always try and go new places and can have a longer walk usually.

I am sure it tires maggie out more when we first go to a new place with all the sights, sounds, smells etc to take in...:)

4. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

i get bored of going tot he same walk all of the time, i try to go to different places. It is quite limited though considering i don't drive. But their is a few good walking places in my area where she gets to have a good run.

I think she gets tired out quicker when we go toa new place or even a place we haven't been to for a while.

Even though we haven't been to a certain area for a while, possibly months. She never forgets where all the puddles and ponds are, where she has a good paddle and gets all muddy lol

5. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Yes that is the issue with me also. I don't drive so to get anywhere else decent there is quite a bit of road/onlead walking! There are one or two nice walking areas here however and yes I guess if I am getting a bit fed up of seeing the same scene and looking of other options the dog must feel the same also. Yesterday was a pleasure to see him in a new area even though we had a bit of a bus journey beforehand :D

6. PembrokeMadhouse

PembrokeMadhouse PetForums VIP

I have several walks I do and alternate them, but the early morning and late night walks are always the same - "to the 2nd gate and back" ... Meg knows the drill, and we have to actually touch the 2nd gate before we can turn back ... the weekends I try to do different walks, but have been a bit remiss lately

7. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I dont have many options living in a built up area. But we have 4 off lead plaecs to go but our road walking is just one route. Lckily there is always kids playing, dogs being walked, interesting smells and bits of rubbish to eat!:)
    Hannah's life long ambition is to find and eat all the garbage along her route!!:D

8. nic101

nic101 PetForums VIP

No, i do lol.

i take her different places as i get bored.

9. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Yes we do a big variety, many invloving a drive.

10. Vicki

Vicki PetForums VIP

Yes, I think a dog can get bored of the same walk and so would I. I've got several options, so I don't go the same way everyday. Of course, some parts of the walk are the same, but not the whole walk. Even for morning and late night walks I have 4 different routes and sometimes I even walk the opposite way to get some variation.

11. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

I think they can get bored, absolutely!

We have several places we go and look for new ones all the time.

If you are only using the walks as physical exercise, then taking a regular route is OK and convenient.

But the dog will get more mental stimulation by changing things up! Sometimes even walking down the other side of the street than you normally would can introduce new smells, people and dogs. ;)

If you are still working on socializing your dog (which should be a daily task until he's 18 mos to 2 yrs old), then you absolutely need to be creative about taking him either to loads of new places or to places in which there is a constantly changing array of people and new dogs. In that case, walks are also a training exercise and you need the constant variation to make sure you have a confident pup!

People seem to have mainly gotten on board with the idea that the dog needs a good amount of daily physical exercise, but sometimes forget that the dog needs a lot of mental stimulation:) as well. Changing up your walking routine can really help there!

12. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

I have 4 regular walks that I alternate.
    At weekends I like to go off in the car when I can and explore somewhere new.
    The dogs really enjoy exploring new smells etc.

My morning 20 min walk before work tends to be the same - 10 mins in the field and 10 mins road walking - but I walk on the other side of the road and/or go around the other way to vary it a bit. Even small changes like that seem to keep them interested in their surroundings.

13. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I vary our road walks because we live in a built up area so there are plenty of roads and routes to go around. But our park walk is the same but its the only semi enclosed park around here within walking distance. i try to vary the direction we walk around the park and I make myself unpredictable so we are not just constantly walking in circles around the same field. I think if i took him on EXACTLY the same routes every day, he would get bored as its the same smells every day.

14. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Yea i think dogs can get bored. I know Bella would. We have about 5 places that we regularly take Bella but we alternate them so she doesnt get bored or us!!

15. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

dogs certainly can and do get bored with the same walk. also, taking the same route every time can lead to leash pulling and other behaviour problems such as barking at the dog in the garden of the house on the corner simply because the dog learns to anticipate what is coming next on his familiar route!

you say your dog wasnt interested in his new walk and then you say he just had his nose to the ground all the time! that tells me that he definitely was interested in his new walk and was taking in all the new smells and doing what dogs do best - using his nose to familiarise himself with the new area and check if anyone has passed that way that he knows (human or canine).

in my experience, and opinion for what it is worth, it is healthier for the dog to be introduced to new walks, new surroundings as often as possible to relieve boredom, to prevent unwanted behaviour kicking in, and to exercise his mind and senses. :thumbup:

16. Dans Mum

Dans Mum PetForums Junior

Dan and I quite often go to the same field for our walks - but there are a few different routes we can take. And he always meets some of his wee doggy friends there too.

I tend not to take him too many new places at the moment as he is sometimes quite nervous of new places...but loves it over the familiar field.

Luckily OH is taking him out tonight, its pouring with rain!

17. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

We are lucky to have a nature reserve of 150 acres 2 mins walk away. It's situated between 2 estuaries and there are many different walks. Along the river, through the woods, around the point between the estuaries and through the many fields.

I sometimes feel she must get bored and we will go for a hike round the country lanes but its obvious that she is happiest up at the reserve.

I was thinking only this morning that I should take my camera so that I can share my walks with you.

18. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ted doesnt give me any choice! he goes where he wants, even tho he has bad legs he can pull me on whatever walk he wants to go on:)

19. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I have a few places I go so my dogs get a change of scenery.

I don't know if they get bored, their noses are glued to the ground all the time anyway :lol:

20. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Ha that is mine as well, and that is what made me questioned if he was bored of our usual direction in the mornings. He once or twice has been putting his bottom down, refusing to go that way and pulling in the other!!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice