Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think this would be a good idea or recipe for disaster?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lucyandsandy, May 5, 2011.

1. lucyandsandy

lucyandsandy PetForums VIP

I am a youth worker and live/work in an area that is classed as "deprived". A lot of the young people I work with either own or there family owns STB's and are used as status dogs. A lot (but not all) are the stereotypical STB owner and some laugh at the fact that their dogs fight etc.

I was thinking of asking my dog trainer to come and do some workshops with the young people about dog training/care. To try and educate them preferably BEFORE they get a dog in their adult years or to encourage them to look at the dog they/family might have now and what issues might need dealing with.

Do you think this would be a good idea? I was thinking about doing a proper training session that they would bring their dogs to but I don't think they would have the maturity to know if their dog would be ok in a class environment and it could just end up as a competition on who has the biggest/best/strongest dog etc!

If anybody has any other ideas they would be greatly appreciated!

Cleo38, critter and metaldog like this.
  2. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

I think a talk/workshop would be a great idea to get across the idea that SBTs can be great family dogs and try to get the young people away from the idea of status symbols/fighting etc.

Not so sure about bringing the dogs 'cos as you say they may not have the maturity to know if their dog would be OK in a class environment with others, especially if their dogs are basically untrained, unruly or are allowed to fight.

Maybe an idea to bring in a couple of well behaved, friendly SBTs to show how good they can be with the right type of training.

It might be hard to get past the "status symbol" mentality with some though.

3. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

I think there would be issues around public liability etc, however, if you were to involve the local council, rspca, dog wardens etc and somehow manage to do the training in one of their properties you may be okay with PL. You could have things like a free health check, cheap microchiping a grooming stall albeit I know they don't require much in the way of grooming but other breeds may appear and advice on how to clip nails, clean ears etc is always welcomed, all things that would encourage dog owners to show up.

It's probably something that would need to be marketed well in advance though possibly by enaging the local newspapers or radio station to run an awareness campaign in advance. It would also be good to have more than one behaviourist present - different methods work for different dogs etc.

Good luck though the idea is certainly worth pursuing.

4. lucyandsandy

Yes it would be hard, the one thing that is always hard is going against what their families say as obviously this is "the right" way everytime :rolleyes:

Some are things are deeply embedded in them as they have been brought up with that attitude but you never if it helps one young person change their mind about how the dogs should be treated then it would be worth it!

5. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, I think this is a great idea!, have you thought about contacting your Local rescue and the Dogs Trust to ask if they would participate and offer speakers?, they could possibly offer suggestions how to get around some of the issues that 912142 suggested, perhaps somewhere in the community there is a venue that is available either free or for next to nothing for something that will benefit the community, it might to be a good idea through advertising and word of mouth that all breeds will be welcome!. wayne.

P.s. going to Rep you for this idea!!. wayne.

6. lucyandsandy

It is only in the idea as in popped into my this morning stage at the moment! I will suggest it to my boss tonight, we are currently looking to do intergenerational activities so this could pass for that I think which means we may be able to get funding. We use a building for a youth club that is owned by the town council. It is literally just a hall so it would be perfect for it.

I will run it past my boss tonight and see what she says, she may have to pass it higher up the chain though so may take a while before I get to start planning etc. I may think about opening it up to other animals as well but definately all breeds of dogs.

7. rocco33

rocco33 PetForums VIP

I think it's a great idea if you can get it organised. I wonder if it's worth giving a demo of some Stafford doing flyball / agility to show them there are other ways they can be competitive with their dogs

8. lucyandsandy

That is a good idea, I will think about that, there is a field out the back of the hall so that can be used too.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice