Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think this looks good?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by tabelmabel, Sep 23, 2020.

1. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

2. Dog-dogs

Dog-dogs PetForums Member

Three things come to mind:

(i) can't see how you can lock the lead from extending/retracting
    (ii) if you let your dog have a run, whilst wearing it, I would worry that the handle may catch on something which in turn would give the dog an abrupt stop
    (iii) not sure how noisy the mechanism is as it could worry sound sensitive dogs - not sure.

Yes I do think for some dogs + owners it could be a good option, but maybe not for everyone.

3. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Another major problem - it doesnt seem to be on the market yet. Not the UK market anyway.

Your point about the handle catching is very valid @Dog-dogs.

I wouldnt be too fussed for locking it at a short length as tilly only wears a flext in the country and she is either at full stretch or i can call her to walk by me without ever using the lock.

I never use flexi on the street.

I do like the look of this

Dog-dogs likes this.
  4. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

As above really, it's not something I'd use myself, but I think it would suit a few specific dogs and situations. I'm not keen on it not having a manual locking mechanism either, but the emergency lock if the dog suddenly goes is a good idea.

tabelmabel and LinznMilly like this.
  5. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Not sure what I got but I just seemed to see its manufacture then a fraction of a second of something I did not have time to see on a dog.

Boxer123, Burrowzig and LinznMilly like this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I saw a collar with a small retracting lead a while back , it seems a good idea but my dogs like to go through bushes etc and I worried the lead would get caught .

7. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

I too would worry about the handle getting caught if you let the dog off. I can imagine some dogs wouldn’t like the noise right behind their ears when it’s reeling in and out.
    I also don’t like the fact you can’t lock it but if you’re sensible with where you use it then that shouldn’t be a problem I guess!

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

My immediate thought was from another angle; with the back plate design, that's a very big and very bulky solid bit that sits right over the shoulder blades. It being silicone/ slightly flexible doesn't cancel the intrinsic part of that out. It looks particularly awful on the small dog in the video in terms of muscular-skeletal structure!

StormyThai, Sairy, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

In addition to the concerns already raised, this was my exact concern too. That looks like a hard block of plastic sitting right on top of the shoulders/spine. Depending on the dog’s individual anatomy, I would worry about what that would do as far as pressure rubs/sores.
    I would want to see what the underside of it looks and feels like.

I'm not as anti retractable lead as I used to be, I'm actually the owner of two of them now :Bag
    But I still don't see myself using a retractable lead anywhere but in the woods and/or on the property. Any other type of walk I think I would want a traditional leash.

LinznMilly likes this.
  10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The video showed nothing like enough of how it worked in use. How is it any better than a bungee/elastic lead with a normal harness (one that doesn't potentially rub the shoulder blade area)? What is the lead part made of, how resistant is it to abrasion, cutting, chewing?

11. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

I'd already seen advert for it and decided it's not for me, I don't even like flexi leads.

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I do love to feel connected my dog through a conventional lead. (if that makes sense)?

12. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I like Flexis, under the right circumstances; I might find this one inconvenient because you can’t reel your dog in closer, other than by looping the lead in your hand.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice