Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think that using a long line is cruel?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by fuzzymum, Apr 27, 2011.

1. fuzzymum

fuzzymum PetForums Senior

Just taken Maddie for a nice long walk and was really enjoying myself until some silly woman ruined it :mad:

Maddie is a 4 yr old rescue staffie, and when I got her she had serious recall and dog agression issues. I've worked on her looooads, and her recall is fine now. The dog aggression is 99% better, but there is no pattern to it, so I can't judge when she is going to snap and when she isn't. So i invested in a long line, which gives her 30ft of running space and me some control over her when she meets dogs.

She is perfectly happy with this and doesnt pull to go further. This woman was shouting at me telling me that keeping her on the lead is cruel dogs should be able to run. I thought I was being responsible, because although she has never hurt a dog, she turns so quickly and with big staffie jaws she could do alot of damage.

Do you think I am being cruel? :( I hope not :( xxx

2. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

My 2 go on long lines because they go deaf once they are offlead! Once Blu gets the scent of something he is off aswell. Don't see anything wrong with using them because it means the dog is getting more exercise.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

How can you be cruel, Your dog had problems, your working to rectify them, with a lot of success, shes not 100% yet so to play it safe, you keep her on a long line at the moment. If every dog owner had the same responsible attitutude instead of letting theirs off when they had no or little recall, or behavioural problems, then the world would be a better place.

Take no notice of the miserable old faggot!! shes probably the sort if there was a minor incident if your dog was off, would be screaming blue murder about devil dogs. Wouldnt worry, your happy, your dogs happy and your working to get the problems sorted and also being a responsible owner in the meantime.

4. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Of course you're not being cruel. You're doing the right thing. You know your dog and because you know that the dog agression is not 100% better and a bit unpredictable then you're being very sensible, responsible and very considerate to other dog owners. Maddie is obviously happy enough to be on her long line and you have the peace of mind that you have control.

Not every dog is perfect, some have issues and for whatever reason CAN'T be let off to run. If this woman doesn't know that then she obviously doesn't know much about dogs. She's probably the sort who has a dog and lets them off and said dog would run up to others, get in their face, jump on them, attack them and then she'd say "he's only playing".

I don't know if it's the weather or maybe I'm being grumpy today but I might have told this nosy woman to mind her own business and eff off (I know, very unladylike, but honestly, sometimes they just get to you!)

Don't worry about her or what she said. Go on enjoying your walks with Maddie just as they are.

5. fuzzymum

Thanks guys :) guess I am a little oversensitive when people shout at me :eek: xxx

6. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

That's so much more polite than I was thinking :D.

7. Ditsy42

Ditsy42 PetForums VIP

I use a long line 4 Cara as she has had issues with being attacked by off lead dogs, no fault of her own but she is now fear aggressive, mainly thanks 2 those numpties who have this exact attitude an see things through rose tinted glasses until sumat goes wrong of course, then hey it'll my dogs fault won't it coz of the breed !! tell her 2 go do one, u r doing great wiv ya dog and getitng free run under control, nowt wrong with that :D

8. carol

carol PetForums VIP

thats silly woman she'd be the first to moan if your dog suddenly turned and snapped at her dog or what ever. your the one being being a good owner knowing your dog etc your in no way being cruel to her quite the opposite infact

take no notice of silly women like her and carry on doing it the right way :)

9. Sled dog hotel

Dont worry, Theres an old saying, you cant please all of the people all of the time, or words to that affect!!:rolleyes::

10. fuzzymum

yes, she did have one of those dogs. Effing great pointer that ran straight over to Mads and stuck its enormous fat nose up her chuff. Mads told him to do one, but no he was all about the poonani :rolleyes:

I told her to get her dog under control, and then got a blast for the long line. She then said "well you will have one of THOSE dogs, they just attract trouble". Sod off, stupid cow. Get a punch in the face next time :p xxx

11. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Me and DH got yelled at one morning on a walk by a "dog psychologist" who began shouting at us for being cruel keeping a hunting dog on a long line (which was 20 odd foot btw!!) she really spouted off on one and the her dogs attacked bella and she blamed us as it was due to her being on lead!!!
    :mad: :(

12. fuzzymum

good psychologist she was then! xx

13. Sled dog hotel

Like owner like dog them both sticking their noses where its not wanted:eek::D

14. fuzzymum

HA indeed! I'm going to wrap fairy lights around myself and GET a big sign that says "RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER SO F OFF" :D XX

15. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

I still use a longline on my 2 yr old border collie , Toffee

When he sees another dog he just plain ignores me and runs off to play , theres no aggression in him , but you never know if the other dog is aggressive or not, and besides , I just think its rude to allow your dog to go charging off towards someone else and their dog(s)

imo hun you are doing the responsible thing for you , your dog and other dog owners and their pets
    ignore the idiot who yelled at you

16. kimdelyse

kimdelyse PetForums Senior

Flo stays on leash for two reasons - he's not 100% trustworthy coming back, and I don't trust a lot of the other dog owners to control their dogs.

That said, what people who poke their noses in don't realise, is that 5 days out of 7 he spends having a good old run about my Mum's pub and yard with his doggy pals. If anything I am sometimes concerned that he has too much exercise!

I think not walking your dog is cruel. Gauging your dog's behaviour (not that your dog's naughty, you know what I mean) and using a long line or other humane tools to keep yours and other dogs safe is smart and responsible.

17. vicki.burns

vicki.burns PetForums Senior

I think you are 100% in the right.

If you're even slightly wary that she might turn then you want to do your best to make the likely hood of that being able to happen less, which you are doing.

Currently we are only using a long line with Lincoln to work on his recall. We are hoping that doing this work with him and his interaction with other dogs at training will teach him how he needs to be but if all fails then he will go on a long line while we're out too.

My personal opinion, if you're using a long line because you're concerned that you dog may become agressive to another dog and you wish to have that extra bit of control then I see this as being a responsible dog owner.

18. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

Yes your being cruel to all the irrisponible owners by being responsible!! Your showing them up

You ARE being responsible. I dont let candy off lead if there are other dogs around io know when shes going to snap and its at the meeting of and if they dont give her space (i learnt this over the last 2 weeks!)

If there is a next time tell her to bite her tounge becasue your keeping other dogs safe as you know your dog has issues and sometimes snaps!

Well done for being responsible

19. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Lmao!! Oh taught zeb to "smell the poonani" but on people I.e me! I thought he was the only person who used that word lmao!

Bless her can't say I would be pleased with a nose in my lady garden (unless he was very handsome ;) ) but no long lines are god sends they give the dig the sense of off lead with the safety of being on one!

20. fuzzymum

:D Thanks chickadees! All of my doubts have gone, definitely not being cruel :D xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice