Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think its right or fair to breed a dog while your on benefits?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by stigDarley, Mar 30, 2011.

1. stigDarley

stigDarley PetForums Senior

After the much debated thread about are all breeders out to make money.

A further thought I have and would love to hear peoples views.

Do you think it right that someone become a breeder while on benfits? Dole job seekers etc? As with the breeding thread alot of people said that no breeders were not making money. That to fund the breeding they have to work very hard in their job to pay for it. which was nice to hear.

So this got me thinking. (having a pet shop I see and hear about all sorts!)

How could someone call themselves a good breeder, not be doing it to make money but be on benefits? Which would mean that they wouldn't have the cash to fund it in the first instance?

I thought I'd start a new thread rather the diluting the other one. With what really is a seperate question. I know that Show prices are deemed a good example of why puppy prices are higher. But then how could somebody on benefits afford to campaign a bitch? So then how could they breed and want show puppies?

Just a thought.. any thoughts anyone?

2. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

I would have thought people living solely on benefits couldn't afford it. not to doing it correctly anyway.

3. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Don't know anything about breeding, really, but I imagine that to do it right would be very expensive. People who breed and don't have the money usually think that is how they are going to make money. They see how much pups go for and think that it is easy money, don't consider health tests and such or vets bills if things go wrong.

I have had people telling me I was mad to pay all that money for mine, because they've got some in the paper for half that price. They don't know anything about health tests and things like that. People have also told me about a litter of newfies that are going cheap, just because they are not registered. They get fooled by this, think they are getting a bargain, and support puppy farmers and byb and don't even know it.

I wouldn't want the responsibility myself.

4. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

we had this question not long ago it got shut down as some people found it offensive.
    (not me)

5. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

If the person was solely living on benefits (so had no savings), I think they would find it really hard to afford to do it properly.

6. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

We had this a month ago. Well, it started as just getting a dog on benefits, but then the idea of breeding on benefits got in there:

http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/149126-benefits-dont-get-dog.html

Personally, I do not feel that the government should be funding people's "hobbies". The money is meant to support you and your family, not for you to support your breeding endeavours. There are some circumstances where exceptions could be made, ie if you are well off within the breed and you are often entrusted with new stock and have other income etc, but for someone to spend their benefits on buying in puppies, borrowing money to pay for stud fees, etc, its just not on.

My biggest point was what happens in the future if you are asked to take a dog that you sold back on and this particular pup has an illness or disease that is very expensive to treat? How will you, on benefits, be able to afford that?

7. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

Just to add their are good breeders who do get some form of benefit (especially for disabilities) that do a really good job and do it the proper way. So it would be unfair to tar everyone with the same brush.

8. dexter

dexter PetForums VIP

very hard i'd imagine, only have to read some of the other breeding threads and see how much a litter would cost to be raised.

9. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Well, in my instance, I am the breadwinner and my OH is on disability benefits. We do show our dogs and are picky and choosy as to what shows we spend our money on. Money is tight, more than tight at times, but we survive and manage to fund our hobby, including breeding.

Some of our show friends are highearners and some are living purely on benefits - what difference does it make in reality if the dogs are well-cared for?????

10. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

An example of my 2 posts (the 2nd one more so) :D

11. Exactly.

As long as they are careful with their money, have insurance and back up money and are willing to risk a loss of money then there is no problem.

12. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Why not??

Some breeds dont have as many health tests recommended as others, some breeds whelp better than others, therefore less vet intervention.

First litter we bred OH was on benefits (still is) and I only worked part time on minimum wage and we managed just fine!!

13. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Isn't there the problem of declaring the income when the pups are sold, and possibly losing benefit? How many people who breed whilst on benefits are doing it as part of the black economy? Should us taxpayers be paying them benefits when they have this source of income?

14. Exactly.

We have started up a "account" with our vet were we pay so much a month right up until the pregnancy that way we have money aside if it comes to more than the insurance will cover.

We have started stocking up on food and whelping supplies already.

15. I already have declared my potential litter to benefits and my local office wants me to keep them updated and keep receipts of everything. I have no issue with this because I am not in it for the money at all.

16. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Its not seen as a source of income from 'proper' breeders though, thats the thing! What about the breeds that may only have 2-3 pups, by the time you've paid the stud fee and reared the litter - what profit??

Those that have litter after litter arent the caring breeders and should be reported, but then, its proving the actual income. People deal in hard cash, taxman would have a hard time proving money changed hands, lol!!

17. jamie1977

jamie1977 Banned

That is a good question, but I am sure if done legally (and not committing fraud) then this is not something to be worried about. You get people in well paid jobs who do not inform the tax man of their income from breeding.

Maybe some with experience from breeding while claiming benefits can explain what procedures they have to do to make sure they are not committing fraud.

18. Yup.

Our average is 4 pups however Alaska's family have been known to produce 3 rather than 4 pups but I always say "4 pups". I plan to keep 1 or 2 back. I have to pay a £250 stud fee. £300 insurance. £100 on food for the pups and mum while pregnant. £140 on whelping box. £200+ on health tests for my girl. £50 for check ups on the pups. £168 for eye tests for the pups before they leave. £50 on KC registration and thats not including other whelping supplies. :blink:

If there are only 1-2 pups the chances are both are staying with me.

19. Blondie

Blondie PetForums VIP

Depends what benefits person is on, some are income-related and some arent, as to whether taxman/W & P would need to know about any further source of income to household.

20. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I don't really know that much about the benefits system or how much you get on what etc... but to me I have always felt that our welfare system should be focused on basic sustenance for those who have fallen on hard times (have been made redundant etc..) or fair support for those who literally have no other possible means in life. Should subsidised animal breeding fall into either of those?
    I'm uncertain.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice