Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you think a dog knows its siblings?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by haeveymolly, Apr 21, 2011.

1. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

I was having this discussion with someone last night and we just couldnt agree.
    I dont mean nessesarily litter siblings.

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

I often wonder this. We take our dogs to see Mollys mom, dad and sister sometimes. Molly is always so excited to see them and greets them differently to other friends she has. Its lovely to watch, makes me want to blub:eek:

3. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

From watching my lot I would say they do. Evie has been living at my niece's for a good few months now, but every time they come to visit they greet her like long-lost friends - totally different to the way they greet friends' dogs when they come to visit. And when they look through the window and see our cats in the front garden they don't bark at them, but they do if they see other peoples' cats there.

4. sarybeagle

sarybeagle PetForums VIP

Really dont know as we have never met up with any of bellas litter mates.

I do know when ever we meet a beagle at training or on walks she is far more enthusiastic to greet them than she does any other breed and we often say she knows its another beagle as she just acts so differently on meeting.

5. haeveymolly

Yes ive always wondered because we got our first springer, monty then we got harvey our eldest now, from the same parents (another litter) monty was 18 months at the time and from the minute he came home Monty took to him, harvey was a nightmare to toilet train until monty took over he trained him he used to pick him up by the scruff of the neck and take him outside even after harvey had had an accident on the floor.

They were inseperable monty would be sick if we took harvey away from him so vets visits they had to go together.

Monty became ill at age 6 and collapsed in the woods, harvey knew instantly he was dying he licked him circled him and then covered him over but wouldnt come with me to get help he just sat by his side. All the time monty was ill, couldnt run around it was too dangerous harvey would walk by his side instead of the usual flying around in top gear any dog that came up harvey snapped at him, never so much as growled in his entire life. We had to then come back from a walk leave monty with distractions and take harvey back as his exercise was being compromised by him not wanting to leave him when out and he would then because monty wasnt there race around like he used to greet other dogs, play with them he was a different dog when he wasnt in his care role:001_smile:

The closeness was to the extreme so when monty died we had a huge problem.

Now all this i suppose could be said for any dogs living together but when we got molly(no relative) the closeness has never been the same they get on extremely well but the same closeness isnt there, now my friend mollys breeder kept one of the pups and molly and holly are inseperable we walk almost every night with them, when apart they will play happily with any dog but when together they completely ignore any other dog and will always play/stick together so it does make me wonder if they realy do have a connection.

6. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Dave is usually a bit 'off' with new dogs he meets.
    But he recently met one of his sisters he has not seen since she left at 8 weeks and they acted like they were best mates!

Him and his brother who he didn't see for months and months after we moved away have a very close bond and are totaly inseperable when they get together :)

7. haeveymolly

So it sounds like i could have won the argument/discussion i had last night:D
    I t was also said that it could just be that they were the same sex but you have proven that not to be the case with your dog, so yes there could be something in this.
    When we went to pick harvey up from the breeders i did say and thought i was saying something stupid" will him and monty know they are brothers" and the breeder did say yes, now ive never taken that as been right but as time went on i did wonder and always have. I f you had seen the tiolet trining you would have been amazed, we tiolet trained monty no problem so it wasnt us, harvey just wasnt "getting it" until monty took over it was lovely and amazing to watch.

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

When Percy sees his mum and siblings, his mums always really pleased to see him. His sisters not so much.
    I would say that he does recognise them as his family yes.
    He remembers his breeders too

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice