Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you tell your dogs off for growling/barking at neighbour's or passing dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by finoni9, Jan 12, 2012.

1. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Rocky often growls when he sees our neighbour's dogs outside - it's funny he doesn't bother with dogs on walkies - usually ignores them, will occasionally play but he doesn't like our neighbour's dogs (all 6 of them (not all in the same house)) and will growl at the them?

Would you try and stop this growling or see it as normal dog behaviour?

2. Jugsmalone

Jugsmalone PetForums VIP

I assume Rocky is in his own house/garden when this happens? if so, normal dog behaviour. He is protecting the territory.

3. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

I would try some counter-conditioning in the house to help him feel more relaxed and comfortable around other dogs.

The easiest way to do this is get someone you know with a dog to stand outside the property, and as soon as your dog sees the other dog, say 'Yes'/click and treat. You don't have to use clicker training but it is very useful for these types of exercises. You need to time it correctly, so treat as soon as he locks eyes on the other dog, and use something valuable, e.g. chicken or cheese (small pieces). This scenario should be repeated as often as possible.

Ideally, you want to keep the outside dog at a distance that, when your dog sees it, your dog doesn't immediately begin reacting (e.g. growling).

In the meantime, it is important to manage the house so your dog can't see other dogs outside easily, unless it is in a training session. If you spend the time training your dog, but he reacts at other dogs outside when you are not there, the training will be pointless.

Do not tell the dog off for acting this way, he is only reacting because he feels threatened. By shouting at the dog you will most likely increase his stress or just suppress the behaviour (momentarily stop it). However, you won't change the dog's underlying emotional state, which is where counter-conditioning exercises come in.

4. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Hiya - I have started doing that actually (used to do it with my rescue dog in dog classes) and will now work on it very hard - he likes to sit on the window when we're not in, so will have to work very hard, so he can get back in his window seat :)

5. finoni9

finoni9 PetForums VIP

Yes, he's usually sat on the window, watching out.

6. DoodlesRule

DoodlesRule PetForums VIP

Mine rarely does other than one side - they have a mental jack russell that throws itself at the fence barking its head off so he does bark back at him. I don't tell him off just call him in. Other than that he never barks/growls even when playing

7. Superash

Superash PetForums VIP

. Yay mine do it all the time when looking through the window, i tell 'em off but they don't take a blind bit of notice !!!:rolleyes:

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

I have 5 next door all throw themselves at fence barking scratching fence :confused: Bobby walks over has a sniff while they are all going crazy lifts his leg wees on fence then comes back to me :D

9. Mophie

Mophie PetForums Senior

Because of where my home is situated Donnie has grown up with people going past throughout the day and generally doesn't seem to care, he makes us aware when he's not happy with something though.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

It's normal behaviour, but still not what I want as it could upset my neighbours. At the bottom of my garden is a canal, the footpath is on the other side. If my dogs bark at people using the path, they have to come in. So I don't tell them off as such, but barking can have consequences they don't want.

Seems to work.

11. Izzysmummy

Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

None of our neighbours have dogs but there is the odd cat which Izzy will bark at if she sees it. Our hedge is a bit sparse at the moment and she can see through to people walking past on the street and she doesnt bark at anything going past anymore.

If we are staying with my parents their neighbour has a Great Dane who peers over the fence and Izzy tends to bark at her and if she does we make her come back inside. I think it is more of a frustrated barking cos she wants to play/is confused at this giant dog peering over the fence but I dont like her barking in the garden so she has to come inside when she does it. :nono:

12. Mese

Mese PetForums VIP

Toffee is a fence runner , barking and running up and down the hedge when anyone walks past (he's not aggressive , just excited), something ive been , unsuccessfully , trying to train him out of for ages

I dont like it when a dog goes nuts when I walk past a house , so I hate it that one of my dogs is doing it :(

I made so many mistakes when raising Toffee , he was the first pup id ever raised , so its not his fault , but mine

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice