Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you respond to texts to your kitten adverts?

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Elsie's mum, Jan 14, 2012.

1. Elsie's mum

Elsie's mum PetForums Junior

Right I have advertised my 2 kittens, they aren't ready to go quite yet but I thought people could visit and reserve if they wanted. So far I've had a few responses by text which I don't like and think if someone was properly interested they would ring, am I being silly? Do you think checking they are available by text is ok? I also had someone who didn't want to wait untill after their vaccinations and said they would do it themselves which was a big no no for me.
    The other thing I've had is someone asking for a discount, is that normal? I've advertised them at 250, I didn't know how much to ask but thought maybe that was enough to secure a good home and hopefully avoid people looking for a bargain siamese and its about how much I've spent on vet bills, what do you think is reasonable to ask? And do you give money off?

My friend thinks I'm being fussy and am going to end up keeping them!

2. spid

spid PetForums VIP

These are the unregistered ones right? Forgive me if I'm wrong - brain addled today.

I think £250 is a little steep if they are unregistered as registered ones are about £350 - however. . . It's your choice.

I allow people to email me (I don't ever put a mobile phone number up so can't text) and then nearer the time encourage them to ring but . . . I'm a little phone phobic so understand when people would rather email or meet in person.

Discounts ONLY if taking more than one.

3. Suzanne1973

Suzanne1973 PetForums Junior

I dont think its steep to ask £250 I ve seen them higher in the past.

And to ask for a discount no way.

4. Elsie's mum

Elsie's mum PetForums Junior

Yeah your right Spid they are unregistered. Ok if 250 is steep I'll change that, to be honest I have no idea about what to ask! The only thing I based it on was that I paid 150 for a siamese x bsh kitten and 150 for the kittens mum so just assumed it would be a bit more than that. To be honest its not about the money its about finding the right home so what would you say is the right price?

#4 Elsie's mum, Jan 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2012
  5. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I never give out my mobile number so I don't get texts. I don't think I'd like text enquiries though. I don't mind initial emails but prefer to speak to people too.
    £250? well, I've seen Siamese selling for more than that unregistered :(
    I have sold some of mine in twos but no-one has asked for a discount on the price. If they did I would consider it but won't go lower for a single kitten.

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

i don't know (sorry abot typin coda is on mt arm agsain) - on price - maybe £250 is fine, I paid £200 for cross once but only because i knew the breeder abd the accident was genuine. so for me £175-£200

7. Suzanne1973

Suzanne1973 PetForums Junior

If the txt are coming from the ppl that are asking for a reduction/discount then I think they are doing it because they are ashamed :eek: to ask in person. I would simply txt back and state nope and if more info req call. Or even consider if they could afford expensive vet bills that can often cost more than 250. After all would they ask a vet for a discount :)

8. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I would just a text back saying you don't give discounts and leave it at that. If they are genuinely interested I'm sure they'll be back in touch. You could always call the number they sent the text from ;)

9. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

I hate texts for kitten enquiries. I'm happy enough with an email for an initial enquiry but not if it's in textspeak. The worst are messages such as "how much r ur kittens". That's textspeak and the first contact being about price - my two big bugbears. Unlikely to elicit a speedy response from me.

10. Cookieandme

Cookieandme PetForums VIP

When I was searching the Internet for a "nice" cat in December I responded by text as the person mentioned texting in the advert - I didn't get a response, at the time I wasn't sure how things worked and was a bit shy about the process.

I didn't want to pay more than £200, but to infer just because someone doesn't want to pay £250 for a cat they can't afford a vets bill is just wrong. She will get all she needs and more, but I would rather spend money for the aftercare.

I don't use text speak in any text, which ironically you have.

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

You bet! I negotiate price all the time with mine :)

12. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

Me too! :D

13. Crushmer

Crushmer PetForums Member

Me 3! :001_tongue:

14. Golgotha_tramp

Golgotha_tramp PetForums Senior

Depends on what the text said. I probably would e-mail if the option was there as a first choice, but if it was phone only I would text.

I really have difficulty speaking to people I don't know and so if there was a mobile and no times it was OK to call I would text with a brief bit of info on me and my set up asking for a convenient time to ring.

If I heard nothing back I would assume I wasn't what the person wanted and wouldn't contact them again. I would have a fear of ringing someone cold and them being rude or snooty about their kittens.

15. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Right! I feel a real need to answer this. If someone has advertised kittens and provided a phone number then they have invited calls. I do know it must be difficult to cold call a breeder but most of us really don't bite. I usually answer an initial email enquiry with a request that the enquirer phones me for a chat, letting them know that anytime before 10pm is OK, or lets me know their landline number and a convenient time for me to call them.

If you're interested then pick up the phone. It's easy enough to ask if it's convenient to talk or if the breeder would prefer you to phone back. If there's a answering machine PLEASE leave your details and any decent breeder will get back to you. Sometimes we are up to our elbows in scrubbing out litter trays or out with a stud boy and we can't get to the phone quickly enough but that doesn't mean we don't want to talk to you :)

16. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

I don't even bother to answer texts which are the first port of contact. Once I have got to know a potential owner then text contact is fine for certain things but never as the initial enquiry ..... I just don't think it gives the impression of a serious potential owner :eek:

Phone or email me - I am happy to chat as I did with one lady on Friday who just wanted a bit of info on the breed - as Havoc says we don't bite! :D

17. spid

spid PetForums VIP

I sort of 'get' the scared thing - always had a problem with phones every since I was little and my dad used to force me to phone my grandma and one of the first times it was a wrong number and I got horribly upset - I think I was about 6.

Even now I have to steel myself to ring people I don't really know - even if I've arranged a time and everything. However. . . I make myself do it. I do tend to email first and arrange a time to ring. Or go to a show and meet someone in person (I actually find that much easier) and of course once I've met or spoken once it's easy.

For a breeders point of view - I'm happy to have loads of email contact and/ or talk on the phone - but I need to meet face to face before I will let you have a kitten - except in circumstances where maybe a trusted friend breeder recommended someone etc - but I don't know. Never had it yet so can't really say.

I don't mind being asked the price, I don't mind even being asked if I do a discount for two (I might), but I don't do texts and I hate bad grammar.

18. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

Im happy to as I understand that alot of people arent happy to talk on the phone, I never used to be, still find it a little hard so I prefer email, if they are in text talk then I dont reply, but sometimes I have missed a call so they text to say it was them who called lol!

But I do get carried away on the phone chatting, a man called me a few days ago but I havent got any raggie kittens, said I had bengals, talked him out of getting a bengal! Then I went through different breeds with him to see which one fitted his family best and current kitten!! :blush: think his going to get a british shorthair lol :laugh: Spent about 30mins talking and he was really chuffed that I spoke to him! But I do get carried away talking cat!! :blush:

19. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

So do I. It's completely understandable. The point is the buyer should want to check out the breeder as much as the other way round. If potential kitten buyers could only realise that they are the ones with the upper hand they wouldn't be so scared of phoning. If the breeder isn't pleasant then move on. There will always be other kittens.

20. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

Meeting in person makes it all so much easier afterwards from a breeder point of view too :) Several of my kitty owners are people I have met at shows

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice