UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bess's training collar is the one my old CS had. I've bought her no new bowls so she uses the same ones all my other dogs have had. My favourite lead is one my ES had back in the 80's - faded to be sure, but so comfortable to hold if the dog pulls! I used that on the Great Dane as well.

She's got a big cushion to lie on in the lounge that belonged to the GD as well, and a number of her toys also belonged to previous dogs.

She has got some new stuff of her own but I think it's nice to recycle for a new dog. Sort of keeps memories alive.

So, am I weird, or do you/ would you recycle?

·
Registered
20,845 Posts
When we got Henrick I had saved Chances favourite ball and his lead so something of his was carried on. All went well till Henrick started actually playing with the ball and tugging on the lead and I panicked in case he damaged them and put them away again, it just didnt seem right :eek:

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When we got Henrick I had saved Chances favourite ball and his lead so something of his was carried on. All went well till Henrick started actually playing with the ball and tugging on the lead and I panicked in case he damaged them and put them away again, it just didnt seem right :eek:
I know what you mean. I've got two special toys of Bingley's(my spaniel who died in Jan this year) that he always used to carry in his mouth, and never hurt them. I won't give them to Bess whilst there's a chance she might chew them as he took such great care of them.

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
Toys, bowls and leads I do re use but collars! Can't bring myself to do that. All my dogs have loved their collars and asked for them back after grooming or bath etc, so to me.....their collars were just for them

·
Registered
7,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toys, bowls and leads I do re use but collars! Can't bring myself to do that. All my dogs have loved their collars and asked for them back after grooming or bath etc, so to me.....their collars were just for them
No. The training collar I've used as its only for walks. The main collars are too personal. A bit like underwear. :)

I have a drawer full of old cats and dogs collars - complete with tags. Can't through them out, or even bear to look at them really. :(

·
Registered
14,957 Posts
Same about collars - they are so personal - but anything else is fine, I don't consider it emotional but just better for the environment. Molly even has the cat's old bed throw in her basket!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
My past doggies' collars hang over their photo frames, so new collars for new dogs in this house...new leads too except for a 'Flexi' lead that I've used for all three dogs.

I will use bowls .... but never toys!
My past doggies' favourite toys sit on a shelf in my bedroom

And their dog tags are on my key ring, so that they go everywhere with me :)

·
Registered
1,442 Posts
Henry was basically all new, but there was about a sixteen month gap between Beema passing away and him coming home, so it didn't make sense to keep Beema's old things hanging around 'just in case' we got another dog. There are two cuddly toys Beema never liked that Henry's adopted as his own, though.

·
Registered
3,596 Posts
Hattie has inherited Hectors coats, they're all identical as Throp took same size so didn't feel like it was his. Most of the toys,beds, bowls, leads and collars were also shared between the boys, a couple of collars that only Hector wore i've not re-used & now sit with his ashes. I had to go buy new tags before collecting Hattie as i couldn't bring myself to even borrow them off Hector's collar and that was 6 months after he'd passed.

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
Toys don't last long enough to be re-used! Collars are personal to the dog I feel, and I like to keep those as a memory after the dogs are gone, but I do usually re-use leads - I've still got a fantastic leather one that I had with my first dog! I say usually however, because even though I lost Benson, my dear old Bernese back in 2007, his lead has remained untouched hanging on the hook ever since - I can't bear to use it, nor put it away.

Beds and bowls are re-used, and my slicker brush is about thirty years old!

Tags are never re-used, but always kept. There are more ID tags in my trinket box than jewellery! A couple of special ones are on my keyring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.