Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you prefear to buy your dog from a pet or show home??

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by cav, Aug 7, 2009.

1. cav

cav PetForums VIP

Thought this would be interesting:p

I have had mine from both;)

This is not aimed at any one-so try be nice!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Whats the difference?

3. shazalhasa

shazalhasa PetForums VIP

I bought two of mine from pet homes, one from a breeder and one from a show home.

Have had no problems with any of them, each one came with a decent sized puppy pack, lots of information and keep in touch with all of them and they are all very helpful whenever I've asked for advice on anything.

Everyone is different though and I'm sure there will be a lot of people with differing opinions and stories to tell. I could have been just lucky... who knows :)

4. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Okay...as a newbie I can just come out and see what I think, eh? :D

We phoned a number of breeders before choosing our pup. I spoke to two women who were show breeders, and to be honest was put off by their attitude. They really spoke about the dogs like they were some sort of commodity, one woman particularly was very brusque, couldn't give me a price as she waited until the pups were 6 weeks then "graded" them as to what "quality" they were then priced them accordingly. I understand the logic, but it just sounded horrible. (And I hated the way she kept saying "THE bitch" -I know that's what she is, but surely she has a name?)

The breeder we are buying from is a pet home, he impressed me with his obvious love for his dogs, and the way he spoke so affectionately about them.

Whether we've done the right thing, I don't know. I expect the show breeder has a better "pedigree" to her dogs, but I just felt more comfortable with our pet breeder.

5. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

I dont mind really as long the mating was researched, health tested and good examples of dogs been used ..... :)

6. cav

cav PetForums VIP

I think show owners like there pups to go on to show homes i also found that my puppy had not be well socialized she was scared of the washer,hoover ect!

Im not saying all show breeders are the same just my experience i just prefear a pet breeder:) i think they put more time into the pups.
    :)

#6 cav, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  7. davehyde

davehyde Banned

bought via recommendation from golden retriever club.

turned out to be a show breeder but have an excellent dog.

the kennels were lovely and her gang of dogs were beautiful and looked well looked after.

they actually greeted us at the garden gate and it was brilliant to be told hello by a gang or gorgeous goldens.

8. cav

cav PetForums VIP

haha love it:D

what breed are you getting?

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

For myself, aslong as all the health tests are done, and the dog is reared in a loving home (i wouldnt buy from someone who kennelled their dogs) then i would have no problem buying from them. I have no interest in showing, so whether or not the dog fitted the breed standard would be irrelevant to me. Health is far more important than looks.

Aslong as show and pet breeders are testing and rearing puppies in exactly the same way, i dont see a problem with buying from either. The pups should be priced similarily as well, so i dont think cost is a factor on deciding where to buy a puppy from.

10. Vikegirl

Vikegirl PetForums Junior

Mini schnauzer.

11. nat1979

nat1979 PetForums VIP

I got 3 of my dogs from pet breeders and the pups were in great shape etc and the people were not great (i think they just wanted the money)

And i got 1 bitch from a show home at the age of 14months and she was underweight scared of everything hated a lead was not house trained 100% did alot of bed wetting and she was in a house with 13 other dogs

So really you get good pet breeders and bad ones and you get good show breeders and bad ones

Everyone is different

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

My girl was from a pet/working home. For the GSD breed I would never buy from a show home.

13. cav

cav PetForums VIP

also just wanted to say that just because they show does not mean they have been health tested......ive met loads of show people that dont do the relevant tests:rolleyes:

14. kayz

kayz PetForums VIP

We found that too when we were looking at getting a pup before we were told we had to move. Most of the show breeders were kind of stuck up. They would only tell us the price after we had put a £200 deposit down. We both thought it would have been better if they had said "the pups are £650 and a £200 deposit secures your pup". The also refered to the dogs at 'it' and the pups as 'them'. But we did find one show breeder who was lovely and we had put down our deposit when our landlord told us he wanted to sell the house. We weren't expecting the deposit back but she refused to let us go without it when we went to tell her what had happened.

15. Natik

Natik PetForums VIP

i agree absolutely!

I remember when we were searching for a gsd...the breeders we called up were more interested in counting up their rosettes on the phone rather then give us some info on the dogs themselves lol we didnt even bother go and see them :rolleyes:

16. cav

cav PetForums VIP

All my pups have a name but once the new owner has chosen a name we change it to that so puppy gets use to it:)

17. rona

rona Guest

Either working gundog breeder or pet gundog breeder, as long as I have seen the attributes I like in a goldie and they have had the relevant tests it makes no difference. I would always visit before booking a pup.
    Never ever from a show breeder

18. cav

cav PetForums VIP

yes i went crufts this year and this one woman that breeds and shows never health tests but still walks round like she is it also she sells all her pups for showing which you can never guarantee how that pup will turn out, i would never go to a breeder like that...but lots do!:rolleyes:

i would not bother going see them either;)

also must say ive met some lovely people that show they are not all the same:)

19. cav

cav PetForums VIP

why not from a show breeder rona?

20. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Mine came from a pet home although one of his siblings went to a show home. I don't ever plan to show him so making sure he was breed standard was never an issue so I the first thing I looked for was a breeder that listed temperment as a priority before looks. In my case I felt that the pet home I bought from cared more about the wellbeing and personality of their dogs than the show homes I looked into although there were also some pet homes I stayed well clear of!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice