Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you let your dog sniff the ground when you walk

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 19, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

If dog is on a lead walking next to you do you let them walk and sniff as they go/stop and sniff things?

Do you think there is a right/wrong answer as to which you should do, and why do you let/not let your dog?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

No, not when I'm expecting them to walk to heel, or the opposite side as it is for Indie when I walk the two together. If you allow them to sniff the ground, you can't then expect them to switch to doing what you want on the same walk next time you're out, it's just consistency. I have a release where they're told they can 'go play', after that, they can sniff, eat grass, and please themselves, but until then, I'm a mean mum!

3. rona

rona Guest

When I first got Alf, I let him investigate everything because he had had a very sheltered life and needed to learn.
    When he spent more time off lead and we did longer walks, I didn't like him to stop too often.
    Since he has had trouble with his leg though, I let him more or less do as he pleases, as long as he isn't trying to eat some kind of poo. :rolleyes:
    I don't think there is a right or wrong, it depends what you personally expect from your dog, and what you find acceptable.

4. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

I don't find there is a correct answer to this, each to their own and people have different expectations from their dog.

I personally like my dogs to pay attention, focus on me, when we are doing a heel exercise.

This is the only reason I would have them on a lead if we were reinforcing heel work.

Obviously, when they are loose they get to sniff-a-run the ground and do what they please as long as it isn't causing trouble and they respect when I want them back and will come to when I call!!

xxx

5. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling PetForums Member

Yes pretty much, I let her sniff as much as she wants as there's a whole world out there that I can't smell and it fascinates her.

I only stop her when walking and she stops outside someone's house and they are in the garden as I don't want them thinking she's going to poo outside their house.

I am a softie and don't go for the whole dominance thing though, I just want to love and be loved.

6. keeleyjane19

keeleyjane19 Guest

Aww nice!! xx

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

On our morning walk then I let Toby dictate the pace - usually slow as he sniffs EVERYTHING!!
    On our long evening walk when we get going then no as I want to get out in to the fields so I can let him off his lead.
    Last night as we were on the last bit approaching home he was taking so long sniffing, etc & was completely ignoring me so I unclipped his lead & just walked off. He looked quite shocked (he's not usually off his lead on that strech of path as there's too many cyclists) & came running up very quickly then was so good on the rest of the way home.

8. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I lead walk 4 dogs!

Everytime 1 starts to sniff the others want to. Before I know it, I am in a right muddle and their leads get all tangled.

So no, I don't allow it, unless I say

9. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Depends. If I'm running the 3 youngsters out for a quick pee then no, if I'm walking all 6 on lead (god forbid..that only happens if walking from house to van or van to somewhere I need to walk them before I can let them off!!!) then absolutely not but if it's a relaxed wander around the village for 1 or 2 dogs at a time they yes I allow them to enjoy the walk, but usually by sniff number 1001 I get p'ed off and decide its time to actually walk so make them heel and walk properly!!

10. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Im the same, until i say "go free" they walk and cncentrate on the job in hand, so im a mean mummy too haha
    xx

11. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Only time i let my dogs sniff when on lead is if we're walking around the block. Otherwise if its like, on route to the park no way.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I let my dogs stop and sniff for however long they want. It's their walk! I keep an eye on them though as I don't want them eating things ;)

13. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

That's where I'm mean, it's their walk, when I say it's their walk. Having the 'go play' command, means there is no question when I want them back, and then release them to 'go play' again, and then want them back etc, etc, well, that's the theory anyway, they do sometimes try it on, but then I make a game of getting them to get it right, so it's fun for them ;)

14. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I didn't read the rest of the thread before I posted so hope you don't think my original post was meant to be a bit funny :eek:

Candy heels automatically, Luna is too big to be bothered to pull and Sky well, she's a lot better than she used to be :lol: They all responsd to me well too and a walk for me is time to clear my head and have a think about whatever is going on. I don't do a lot of training work on lead, probably less than I should do.

15. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I let them stop and sniff lamp posts, and in Adam's case leave his own message but in general no sniffing allowed. There is too much rubbish on the pavement and they are too close to the ground to always see what they might be picking up. Hannah is usually dragging her feet trying to sniff everything anyway though, she may be toy sized but her nose is definatley scent hound!:rolleyes:

16. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

When I first went to training classes in the early 80's it was all choke-chain drag & jerk which thankfully is now obsolete.

BUT there was one thing which was taught then, which doesn't seem to be in modern training, that when you wanted your dog to pay attention, do some training exercises or proper heelwork etc, we told the dog to "Work".

I'm currently reading "How Dogs Learn" by Burch & Bailey and they touch on things like this, about how dogs generalise, or don't. One case is where the dog learned that when wearing a certain collar & lead, it was time for working and training, but when wearing a different collar & lead, it was 'downtime' - time for a slow leisurely walk sniffing everything.

So I am beginning to think that having a signal of some kind is not a bad idea - "work" seems best as it can be interchangeable during one walk - for instance, you might be hurrying to get somewhere and you need the dog to pay attention and walk well to heel, then later on, perhaps on the way home, walk more slowly and allow the dog to sniff. Probably the same as "go play" but with the emphasis on the other side of the behaviour.

17. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Not at all, just putting forward the idea that actually, heelwork without sniffing can be fun for them, you're not stopping them enjoying themselves as long as you make an effort to do *something* with them. Tau actually grunts and wags her tail at the same time when she gets her heelwork right, her nickname is the grunty pig :D

18. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Aww!! :D

I should do more training on walks, it would help a lot with Sky definitely. Luna is a treat whore so she'll do anything for a treat :lol:

GoldenShadow likes this.
  19. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

LMAO rep for that!

I tend not to let Roo sniff because sometimes he would just suddenly stop and refuse to go on, plus it was hard to divert his attention once he had his nose to something! I try to get him to walk with his head up a bit in the hope he pays more attention to where we are going too, he has been known to go the wrong side of a lampost when sniffing :blushing:

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Haha thanks!!

I remember the first time we went through some metal gate post things with Sky (you have to weave through them. Think it's meant for people with bikes because you have to stop and walk your bike through). She went the wrong way and her face was very similar to this :eek6: bless her, she's never done it since though :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice