Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you let your dog growl

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Emmastace, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Always?
    Never?
    Under certain circumstances?
    At other dogs?

Please explain answers.

#1 Emmastace, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  2. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

Try stopping Millie :p You sould hear her weaving 'grr grrr grrrr grrrr grrrr' :eek:

No I don't stop her growling- Its a form of communication.

She growls alot in play.

Same with barking for instance - if she is alerting me to something she gets thanked and told 'that's enough' with a scratch behind the ear.

3. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Thanks for that - I need to edit

4. LynnM

LynnM PetForums Senior

Tia is 2 next month and has never growled yet.

Alfie only growls when Tia is trying to steal a toy from out his mouth or when having a tug game with me.

I never stop him because a) he's only telling Tia to get off his toy. She never listens to him though and always ends up with it, and
    b) I know he's only play growling at me.

5. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Not sure I really 'let' them growl...they either do or they dont!
    I dont mind them growling at each other in a conversational way, as long as it doesnt mean anything more then 'back off, pal!'.
    I wouldnt be happy for them to growl at people though. Mainly coz if they are that unhappy with someone then I should be removing them from the situation before they feel the need to growl.
    They never growl at me though. If they did I would assume something was really wrong with them.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Under certain circumstances, although mine never particularly growl at me except when there may be something wrong and they don't want to be touched. Example when Kobi had a lump on his face that turned out to be a tooth root abcess from a fractured tooth and I tried to have a better look what it might be and he wasn't a happy bunny.

He may do it too sometimes when having a long grooming session, and he starts to get fed up with it, in which case he if I need to do more to finish him, I stuff a Kong and he couldn't care less what Im doing or how long it takes after that.:D

The girls though I cant really remember either really growling at me aside maybe if unwell.

They may have the odd growl at each other to ask for space and tell each other to leave them alone. It never goes further then that though as they usually heed each others warning, I certainly wouldn't stop it, as its verbal communication between each other that's heeded, rather that them suppress it and one does take it further if annoyed by the other.

7. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I don't punish them for growling if that's what you mean?

Molly growls in play, that's just a terrier thing I think.
    They'll growl at each other if they go too near each other when eating raw.
    They've growled at me when they first had raw, but now they don't because I've conditioned them to see me coming close to their raw and even touching it isn't an issue - basically I gave them sausage every time I approached. Pippa now presents her bones to me and infects my trousers!

If they growled at someone I wouldn't tell them off I would just be surprised and probably say 'naughty girl' or something (intervene) just so the person who they were growling at thought I was punishing them. I don't ever see that situation arising though, especially with Pippa. I wouldn't intervene in dogs growling to each other unless I thought it was going to cause a fight.

ETA: I created the situation that Pippa growled at me when she was eating raw - I used to believe in the dominance crap of taking their food away to prove you're in charge... I'm glad it's sorted now, and you can tell what her character is truly like though as she does now present it to me!

#7 dandogman, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2013
  8. Karly82

Karly82 PetForums Junior

God no never! Doug is a Stafford and as per breed trait he’s not really a barker or growler but on the very rare occasion he does he’s swiftly told a firm no. I find dogs that bark or growl (of any breed) extremely rude and growling is a definite no no for a Stafford – this however is just my opinion.
    The lovely Rhodesian ridgeback that lives behind me barks almost all day but I have noticed he’s in the garden during this time. He stands in the garden table with his little nose as close to the kitchen window as he can get so my guess is he wants back in the house so barks for attention.

Doug makes little "humf" noises when playing tug and as this is a way of communication for him as he's playing I pay no mind to it :)

9. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Yes that is part of my question. What kinds of growling are acceptable and do you punish unwanted types. I have a good reason to ask but need others opinion to get a balanced view not just mine.

10. Meezey

Meezey Slave to the Black & Tans and the Trundle Bugs.

Nope, he growls when playing and will growl to tell the cats to get away from his food.

As he's a Rottweiler he grumbles A LOT but that different than a growl so he is told to be quiet when he gets a bit carried away.

He also is not told off for barking, he rarely barks, so when he does we both go and investigate what he's barking at :D

11. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I didnt consider growling in play in my answer. Heidi growls like a demon when she is playing tug of war!:D I think she enjoys making as blood curdling a sound as possible. (neither me nor the other dogs mind though, we all know that she is 6Ibs of neurotic scaredycat normally so we let her pretend).:)

12. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

Tell a dog off for growling and you create a dog who could possibly bite with no warning. There are lots of reasons for growling, a warning, in play, in defence etc etc. I would rather i approached a dog and it growled at me to let me know to back off than one who did not growl and bit me to tell me to back off.

Having said that only ever heard mine growl in play

13. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Bess never growls properly - only in play, but that isn't a real growl. She will give an occasional 'woof' at the door if she can be bothered.

14. BeauNoir

BeauNoir PetForums VIP

They growl at each other over them sitting on one another (which happens a lot, especially to Pixie as she burrows under blankets and Quinn doesn't realise she is there until he has sat on her) and when playing. Pixie does get told no if she growls at men (she has barely met any) like the postman or plumber and then gets treats when she stops.

15. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

OK I am not mad then. Some people may disagree but most seem to feel the way I do. Yesterday we were on a course and while we were outside a couple with a Keeshond took possession of our little space we had set up. They were in the chairs I had put next to Mylo's crate and their Male Keeshond was laying in the doorway of Mylo's open crate next to his chew bone and water bowl. As we walked towards the chairs Mylo did a little growl. The woman running the course spun round and said 'which one was that?' so I said it was Mylo. It was one small growl, no barking. She grabbed his lead (she had already put a full choke chain on him) shouted, shook the lead and terrified the life out of him. She was saying things like 'not such a big man now are you?' 'not so aggressive when you don't have Mum there are you' he was a complete wreck. I have never seen anything like it. She went mad at me and said I can never allow him to growl EVER. It means he is aggressive.
    She said that he 'feeds off me' and his touching me and looking to me gives him the courage to be aggressive. She said I have to punish him if he tries to touch me or look at me and I can't touch him or look at him but keep him at arms length all the time and ignore him.

I have never known Mylo be aggressive. He does do the 'Pointer Pose' where they tend to stiffen in excitement just before playing. He has also growled at other dogs from a distance on three occasions in his life. Once at an Akita on the way into ringcraft but didn't take any notice of it once in the building. Once at a dog in the pub when it jumped up at the bar hatch when Mylo was the other side of it. Mylo did a quick growl that ended in a short bark but didn't do anything else and this last occasion when the Keeshond was in the doorway of Mylo's crate. I have always believed it's better to growl than go that step further but this woman said that growling is an invitation for a fight.

I don't want to be wearing rose tinted specs and not seeing that there is any aggression there but I honestly can't see it. But I don't want to be missing something if there is.

I should make it clear that he is just a softie with people and there is no problem there.

16. Milliepoochie

Milliepoochie PetForums VIP

I have to ask - Personally I see growling as communication.

If you tell your dog to 'shhh' everytime it growls so growling is a behaviour it is told off for then how do you expect your dog to communicate to you its unhappy? :confused:

I see a growl as a 'warning' sign so to speak.

Personally much rather a dog which growled than one which doesnt and then has to resort to other measures to make its feelings known.

17. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

she doesn't growl in play, she does however growl when she hears a noise or the door, and yes I do let her growl, it's a form of communication, to stop her from growling would be like stopping me from speaking, a growl is imo a warning sign, take away a growl and you may be left with a dog that goes straight to the bite, however if she was going to be growling AT someone I would remove her from the situation, she has never growled at a person or animal before just noises. and she is put away when I answer the door.

18. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

please don't go back to this "trainer" again, if someone had dared to do that to my dog I would of punched them in the face.

19. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

I don't punish a growl if that's what you mean. Spencer has NEVER growled at me except in play but if he did I'd see it as a signal that something was wrong, I'd hurt him or that there was an issue we needed to work on. A lot of people seem to feel that a growl is only one step down from a mauling or something but I see it as a "please don't" or "I don't like that" or "I'm not comfortable" sort of thing. And if I heed the growl and work to fix the problem the dog is never going to need to escalate to the next level.

I do allow my dog to growl at other dogs. If they're being obnoxious with him and he growls then he's well within his rights to do so, same as I'm within mine to tell someone to stop pestering me. He doesn't growl at them for no reason.

As for the person running that course...well if they'd done that to my dog I'm afraid I'd have had something to say :eek:

20. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

Don't worry I am way ahead of you on that decision. I was going to walk out but in a strange way her methods worked and she is so highly thought of I decided to see it out but didn't let her touch him again. She gets results but I won't be using her methods.
    It was a bit like a car crash on a motorway. You know you shouldn't look but you can't help yourself.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice