Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you leave your dogs outside shops?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Alice Childress, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Alice Childress

Alice Childress PetForums VIP

I haven't got a dog yet, but the idea of leaving them a outside shop makes me nervous! I'm a bit paranoid at the best of times though.

It would be lovely to be able to walk down to the local shops and pop in leaving any future dog there for a minute, but I think I'd spend the whole time looking out the window to check they were still there.

What does everyone here do?

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

No. Definitely not.. Firstly what if they escape.. then there is the what if someone pinched them.. then there is what if some fool teased them and accused them of biting.. :eek:

3. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I leave Dave outside co op when I go just before it shuts. I can see him the whole time.

Though not so much recently because a staffy was stollen from outside a shop about an hour away from here so it makes me really nervous.

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Any time we're going to the shops we have to take the car so Tummels relatively safe in there....if i didn't have to take a car then i wouldn't take Tummel as he gets very stressed watching me walk away from him when he's tied up!

5. Eroswoof

Eroswoof Guest

Nope, I don't even leave him in the car :lol:

My doggy - not for stealing :lol:

Em
    xx

6. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

No would never leave my dog outside a shop nowdays, to many are stolen that way

7. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If I were to tie Ferdie up to a lampost, say, he would have the lampost down trying to get to me! I can't even leave him outside with a friend, or he drags them after me. I wouldn't anyway, not these days. People used to leave babies in prams outside shops, but you never see that any more, do you? Far too risky. I won't leave them in the car either, unless I can see them through the window and I am popping in for one thing. And I always lock the car.

Someone asked me once why I bothered to lock the car. Nobody's going to steal the car with those two in there, he says. I am not worried about them stealing the car, I replied. I am worried about them stealing the dogs!

8. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Ted wouldnt make it to the shop:rolleyes:, so no I dont:D

9. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

No not a chance, the gypsies stole a dog from outside the shopping complex two mins away, it was never found.
    To Me nothing Is worth that risk.

10. Carla-Jade

Carla-Jade PetForums VIP

very worried about dognapping so id never leave them outside. plus they would wreck the place til i returned :rolleyes: people have approached to breed from her so that would worry me. they dont know she is spayed and probably wouldnt take time to read her id tag

11. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

No..too risky!

I generaly dont leave them in the car either. Unless we are on the way to a relatives and we need to stop at the petrol station or something :eek: but even then i can always see them through the window and always park as near as possible.

12. morsel

morsel PetForums Senior

I obtained one of mine from outside a shop where it had been tied up.

13. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

Never have and never will.

It is too much of a risk, I don't leave them in the car either.

My dogs mean to much to me to put them in a position where someone could take them.

14. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

If I want something from a small shop that knows me and I happen to have the dogs with me, I lean in the door and ask them to get it! I think they are too scared of the dogs to say no! I have done that on a few occasions, but only where I am known.

The pet shop used to have a loose parrot inside years ago and I would knock on the window and he would come outside and serve me.

15. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

No I wouldn't, too scared to plus Willow would create a scene jumping up and down trying to see what sweeties I'm buying her.
    Outside the tesco express was a beauiful dogue d bordeux tied up and I just thought are the owners mad. He looked really friendly and Im sure the dog stealers wouldnt mind risking a try for a dog like that.

I don't like seeing doggies tied up, apart from the theft thing cos I wanna give them a little stroke and a tickle but I know I can't :)

16. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Woah thats one smart parrot, an asset to any store no doubt :)

17. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Ok, so it's getting late and I'm getting old. No need to rub it in:blink:

babycham2002 likes this.
  18. Debxan

Debxan PetForums Member

No - just in case they were stolen. Plus I saw a horrible child waving a stick at a dog that had been tied up outside a shop in Harlow last summer. Trying to scare the poor old dog. Stood and watched him until owner returned - when he saw me watching he suddenly lost interest. In this case a dog might bite or try to and then you're in trouble.

Would leave a dog in the car for a short time in cold weather if in a suitable area though. Trouble is you then worry all the time!

19. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

Now that sounds wrong.. But we all know what happened.. :)

20. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Wow please let us know

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice