Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you have Cat Insurance?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Viki, Jul 27, 2009.

?

Do you have Cat Insurance?

1. Yes & I chose my policy based on a Vet's recommendation

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  2. Yes & I chose my policy based on a friends recommendation.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  3. Yes, I researched them myself.

10 vote(s)
    55.6%
  4. Yes, I already had another pet insured so used the same insurer.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  5. No, I don't have insurance for my cat.

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  1. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Hi everyone,

We're hoping you can help us with a new article we're currently writing on Compare Pet Care, interested to know whether you currently have insurance for your cat and what made you choose them?

So if you could put your vote in the poll that would be a great help
    If the answer isn't in the poll please leave a reply

Thanks, Viki

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Probably an ideal time to ask. How do you work out if a policy is for 12 months or life? I am looking at the policy for my cat & dog (thinking about having the new cat with them too) with Sainsburys & it says
    1 Veterinary fees
    £3,000 (12 month limit) or £7,500 per condition for two different levels.

Yet says it is an annually renewed policy. :confused:

Does that mean that the £7,500 limit for a condition that doesn't specify a time limit is limited????

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I chose not to insure my cat simply because I could not find an insurer to cover pregnancy related costs and as my cat is a breeding queen it would be a bit pointless.

What I instead do is put 20 pounds a week into a savings account so that there is always money available if a large vet bill were to come my way (as it recently did)

If a pet insurer were to cover pregnancy related illnesses then I would definately be looking into getting cover.

4. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

I dont insure my cats but i am thinking on starting a account with savings in it for any unexpected costs and vet trips.

5. Viki

Viki PetForums Senior

Hi messyhearts,
    If the policy has a 12 month limit with a per condition payout, that means that the policy will only pay out upto 12 months from the day of the first pay out for that condition.

From memory Sainsbury's has two levels of cover, as you mentioned one has the 12 month limit, whilst the other is lifetime. So for lifetime policies, as long as you continue to keep the policy running, ie. keep payments running, then if your pet does get a long term condition they will continue to pay for the veterinary bills upto £7,500 per condition each year. If it has a 12 month limit then after the first year of payouts for that condition then they will stop paying for that specific condition, not very good if your pet develops a long term condition. (The other thing to note is that once your pet has a condition you won't be able to transfer the insurance, as the insurers will not cover existing conditions, so it's worth getting the right policy from day one)

I hope that makes some sense! I know from experience that they make it very confusing with different terms and wording on their policy documents.

On Compare Pet Care, you can see we have included the time limit in our comparison tables - Compare Dog Insurance | ComparePetCare.co.uk

At present we don't have Sainsbury's policies on there, but we will be adding them soon. I looked up the Defaqto ratings for their policies early today actually, and for their lower end policy they have a 1 star rating, and for the higher end policy they have 4 stars.

PetProtect Lifelong Extra may be a good option for you as they have a 5 star rating and have a lifelong policy.

Thanks for your reply Cat_Crazy, and that sounds like a good idea in your situation, I don't know of any insurers that cover pregnancy related issues as you mentioned.

Thanks for the reply Miss.Puddycat, I wonder how many people setup savings accounts as oppose to using insurance policies. I may do another article comparing how savings would match upto insurance over the average pet life span.

Thanks for your help everyone!
    Viki

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

So, in essence, when they refer to the general gist of each policy with the cheap option stating clearly it is limited to a year for each condition & doesn't state it for the dearer one that the fact it is an annual policy makes it a fee per condition on an annual basis? But they can reclaim to that full amount per condition each subsequent year?

If so I am going to stick with them. My dog & elder cat is with them & I can get a discount.

7. munchbunch

munchbunch PetForums VIP

I've got 5 cats & they're all insured under lifetime policies with a yearly £7000 vets fees limit. It does cost a lot, especially with 5 of them, but as some of you may know, my 6 year old, Saffy, was recently an emergency admission to hospital when she started to have seizures & was also found to have had a stroke. :( She spent days in intensive care and had an MRI scan, ultrasound scans, a lumber puncture, numerous blood tests etc & the bill so far is £2500 +. :eek: That was for less than a week in hospital (actually 4 days). She's home again now & doing well, :D but she will need further tests in a couple of months, including another MRI scan.
    Mine are insured with different insurers: 2 that I have already claimed for with M&S, so I can't change theirs or their pre existing conditions would be excluded, 2 with Petplan & I with Axa. The M&S policy has changed since I first insured them & isn't as good as it was. Be really careful you know what you want & look at the policy details carefully. Most cheap plans are for 12 months or a specific sum, whichever comes first. That means if they have a lifelong condition, once the year or monetry sum is up, you're on your own. :eek:hmy: A lifelong policy resets each year & you can claim up to your yearly max agin - in my case £7000. You always hope you don't have to claim & it is expensive, but look at what happened to me & Saffy last week & what it's cost so far. If you have a savings policy (which I have thought about), you really need a "head" start on it, otherwise it can take a long time to build a reasonable sum up.
    I just wish an insurance company would introduce a multipet policy instead of paltry 5 or 10% additional pet discounts. :cursing:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice