Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Do you have any more treatment ideas for my dying cat?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Patrick999, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Patrick999

Patrick999 PetForums Newbie

He has been to the vet. The cat is a stray probably around 16 years old years. He showed up at my door 2+ years ago with a bad sinus infection and very frail. The infection was treated and it got better but he has never been in good health and was prone to coughing. Recently his sinus infection flared up came back with a vengeance, and he stopped eating. I took him to the vet. They didn't think he could recover. But they also didn't know what was wrong with him without doing tests. I couldn't afford test because my credit cards are maxed out. They gave me prednosione. He is largely comatose , but he still eats pretty good. And he's maintaining his 8 pound weight. So I don't think it's cancer. I have had a cat die of cancer, and she lost weight. He went blind in one of his eyes literally overnight this week. So that's a clue. Maybe it's his liver, or a tumor? I'm wondering if there's any other treatment we can try? I am willing to try and save him if it won't break the bank. It will cost me $62 just to walk into the vet office. Any ideas?

2. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Patrick, in your other thread you said your cat "eats on his own somewhat" and you're "forcefeeding" him. He is also "comatose" a lot of the time. I truly understand how difficult it is to say goodbye to a loved pet, but you have to consider what's best for him. Be strong, say your goodbyes and let your cat go.

3. Arny

Arny PetForums Member

As @SbanR says, honestly if he's comatose for most of the day but eating it sound's like he's just surviving and it may be time to think about what's best for him if he's suffering (especially if you're unable to do any tests which could well add up if the vet doesn't have any thoughts on what's wrong currently).
    There are some useful sites which can help you determine his quality of life. It can help taking that step back and going through the points.
    Sorry you're going through this, almost a year ago I had to say goodbye to my 19 year old.

Babyshoes and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I think the main thing to consider is his quality of life. I have to say, from your description, it doesn't sound good. He is a good age and may even be older than you think. He came to you with problems and, as a stray, this obviously weakened his immune system. There could be a number of things wrong and without tests its impossible for any of us to advise what it might be and you can't treat him properly without knowing what's wrong. Even if your vet were to find out what's wrong, it may require the expense of medication for however long and further tests. He sounds very unwell to me and, in your situation, I would consider whether letting him go might sadly be the best option.

#4 Charity, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
    chillminx and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. Patrick999

Thanks, I will do it tomorrow :((((((

6. shingigz

shingigz PetForums Member

Poor Patrick... don't be sad for him. It is the biggest act of love you can show him right now. I will be thinking of you.

Babyshoes likes this.
  7. Suzanne Churchill

Suzanne Churchill PetForums Newbie

8. Suzanne Churchill

Suzanne Churchill PetForums Newbie

I have heard that CBD oil can help animals with cancer, and all sorts of other conditions. it is easily available on line-and also from some health shops. it can also help psychologically.

Patrick999 likes this.
  9. Patrick999

SusieRainbow likes this.
  10. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

There is no oil in the World which can cure cancer.

This is a very old, ill cat. Please don't offer false hope.

11. TIGGS1

TIGGS1 PetForums Member

Patrick i know you deeply love this cat and it saddens you to see him go but out of love for him put a end to his suffering
    A cat can manage over time to deal with blindness but for him to go blind even in one eye over night must have frightened , scared him
    So Patrick take courage say your goodbyes and let him go you will always have some wonderful memories of him to treasure

Lurcherlad likes this.
  12. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

A certain oil is the only reason a relative with cancer is still with us.

13. shingigz

I have certain faith in this oil too, but it sounds like this cat has come to the end of its natural life, and to keep it chugging doesn't seem worth the struggle.

14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

And not fair or kind to the poor cat

MissMiloKitty and lorilu like this.
  15. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

I don’t think it would help this cat. I know if it was my cat I’d be ending the suffering.

MissMiloKitty likes this.
  16. Pollypudding

Pollypudding PetForums Newbie

Is there not an animal facility,near to where you live,that helps people who are on low budget?

17. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

CBD oil does NOT cure or help cancer. Animals must receive mainstream veterinary treatments only. It sounds like this cat has come to the end and would be cruel to keep trying.

#17 MissMiloKitty, Feb 10, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  18. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

I think you know that the time has come, it says so in the title. Cats aren't like us. They can't comprehend pain and discomfort like we can.please do the right thing.

19. shingigz

I agree entirely. I meant I have a certain faith in CBD oil generally, and I was referring to humans and cancer cases. I have never looked into it from a cat/dog perspective.

20. danielled

danielled PetForums VIP

Same here. Look at the child who used to have 100 seizures a day. Humans yes pets no.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice