Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you have a letterbox?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by rottiepointerhouse, Feb 6, 2015.

1. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

I'm a bit surprised to hear that dog attacks/bites to postal workers have continued to rise

BBC News - Rise in dog attacks on postal workers, Royal Mail says

I don't think it will be long before they start refusing to deliver to homes with dogs if we don't start taking responsible action to avoid this. We sealed our letterbox up years ago and when we get a new front door won't even have a letterbox fitted. We've got a decent sized lockable mail box on the wall next to the front door with a section for post and a section for newspapers. I would not expect a postal worker to have to put their hand in my door without providing some safety measures for them.

We don't really have a front garden either, just the drive, a flower bed and steps up to the door so my dogs do not have access to the front of the house ever.

So do you still have a letterbox and if so have you taken any measures to ensure your dog cannot get to the postie? If the dogs have access to the front of your house (or wherever the post is delivered) have you taken sufficient steps to make sure the dogs cannot get to delivery people?

2. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

Ours is sealed and we have an external box. We did that not because we think Daisy would ever bite, but because she was shredding the mail! If you stick your hand in our letterbox, you get licked to death. But I think it's good for safety of both parties too. They've been in garden before when postie has arrived but they are never unsupervised out there so I was there too. As it happened, our postman wanted Daisy cuddles over the fence anyway!

#2 Fluffster, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Did put a basket on but postie had a harder job of posting things through. He says rupert only ever takes the letters goes nowhere near him ever and he doesn't mind what we do as it's our letter box. Carmen can't reach thankfully, ours is 2/3 up from the floor.

4. Little P

Little P PetForums VIP

I have a cage on my letterbox, and yet they still insist on ramming things through (despite a note on the outside of the door stating there's a cage on the other side and to leave large items with a neighbour or we will collect from the sorting office), so the point where they have broken the cage :mad:

5. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Mine are not really bothered about the postman. Cash is usually still sleeping when the letters are posted and he's never bat an eyelid AND he leaves the letters intact :thumbsup:

6. MyAnimals

MyAnimals PetForums Senior

Our gate is locked and there is a mailbox next to it on the fence. If there is something that is too big there is a doorbell right next to it so I come to the gate. I don't think my dogs would attack a postman, but they'd bark at him and jump up at him, and I don't want someone to have to put up with that whilst they're doing their job or report my dogs. It works well for us and postie even commented on our setup saying that he wished more people would do the same.

7. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

I have a letterbox, it's not something I've even thought about. My dogs aren't really bothered about the postie though.

8. Spellweaver

Spellweaver PetForums VIP

We have a letter box in the front door but our front door leads into a little porch-type hallway, the door to which from the rest of the house is kept closed. The dogs don't go through there unless they are wth one of us - for example if we are going out of the front door to the cars, or if someone knocks on the door at night while my OH is at work and I take one of the bergies with me to answer the door.

In our old house the front door opened straight into the living room and we had to have a wire box fitted over the letter box - not to protect the postman, but to stop the dogs getting to the mail and shredding it :p

9. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

The postbox is in the part of the house Isla can't get to unless a door had been opened to allow her access. If I go to answer the front door, then she's told to stay and then I go through the door to get there.
    She has garden access to the front of the house, but not to the front door. We have a bit of a weird house and there is apparently two front doors (only one used) which could mean meeting up with Isla if you went to the wrong one, but she's more likely to demand a stroke then anything else. Not totally ideal, but I don't leave her in the garden and I keep an eye on her when she's out there. The postmen know which door to go to.
    John, our regular postie, is apparently frightened of dogs and always carries dog biscuits in case of any problems, but he hands them out to his favourite dogs if he sees them. Isla is overjoyed if she sees him as she knows his biscuit carrying tendencies.

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

I have a box on the gate and also a letter box. My dogs don't touch anything that comes through the box. They only have access to the front when we're on it.

11. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

The precautions we've taken have been dependent on the individual dog to be honest. We have a letterbox and have taken no precautions to ensure Spen can't get to it. We did with Rupert because he shredded the post. And with Shadow who would have attacked the postie if he could get to them. But by the time Spen has gotten off the bed, stretched, yawned and made his way to the front door the postie is half way up the street :lol: And then he just stands half way up the hall staring at the post that's come through.

If someone comes to our front door Spen goes and sits on his bed (well away from the door) as he's been taught to do. Rupert did the same. Shadow was shut away before the door was opened.

12. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

My lot don't really bother with the post to be honest but when I had Tex with me he did...he would attack and destroy anything that came through the post and try and attack the fingers attached but when I realised this I made sure I shut the inner door at all times so he couldn't get near the porch...it's basic common sense to make sure a dog who doesn't like postmen is kept away

13. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

When they are home alone they don't have access to the hallway as I keep them shut in the kitchen and dining room.

If someone comes to the door and knocks or puts something through the door and I am home, they will come find me. I have no concerns that they would bite the hand though.

14. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ziggy barks when the post comes through, but that's it. Kite, if told to, will go and fetch the letters.

15. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

We have a letterbox but we have a vestibule and keep that door shut so the dogs can't get to it.

When I used to do a paper round I had houses where I was frightened to put things through the letterbox because their dog would attack anything being put through including fingers.

16. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I have a letter box, front garden is unfenced so dogs never ever out there. Girl dog couldn`t care less about post coming through the door, she doesn't even open her eyes or stop snoring! Boy dog is alerted to the postman by neighbours dog barking, he pads into hall way and sits watching the letterbox, he sits quietly will the post is pushed through the letterbox then pads back off again. Does this most days I don`t know why he likes to watch the post come through then just walk away again I say to him `nothing for you again then mate?`

If I had dogs that either ripped mail or objected to things coming through the door I would either fix a mailbox outside on wall and seal letterbox or fix a crate around the letterbox.

17. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

We keep our gates locked too and have a box on a post next to it. If we are expecting a parcel and we are in I will leave the gate unlocked but if not they will push a card through and I collect it at the sorting office.

18. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

We have a letterbox, but I've never seen a reason why a hand would need to come through it :confused:.

Our postie shoves things through so hard he's broken the bristles off the letterbox about seven times, and if a dog was underneath they'd probably be knocked out before they could do anything.

19. Muttly

Muttly Fluffy Mutts Rule!

We have an unfenced front garden so Goldie doesn't go there. When the post comes through, he picks it up and brings it to me.
    He can only reach the letterbox by jumping so would only catch a hand if it was right through, which if someone's hand is right through my letterbox, I might bite them! :devil:

#19 Muttly, Feb 6, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

We do not have a letterbox, far too windy so no one has one. The postman opens the door and puts the post on a window ledge. Current dogs are usually in the kitchen but previous dogs were in the utility room with access to the door the postman comes in. They always ignored him, in fact I had a collie that would not let anyone in but never even got out of her bed for the postman, even relief ones so long as they were using the same van.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice