Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Do you have a "breed"?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Horse and Hound, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Horse and Hound

Horse and Hound PetForums VIP

Some people I know have had a certain type of dog their entire life, but for me I thought I'd find that boring. I've always wanted a JRT as my first dog as I've always grown up with them, ended up with Roo.

A staff wasn't one I'd considered but my OH adores them, so Harvey was a great second dog...but now I actually doubt I'll ever be without an evil, killer staff. I'd love a pure bred, blue one but I feel that there are so many of them in rescue that I'd like to make sure at least a few of them have a loving home with me for their final years or lives before we considered a pup.

But thinking ahead, got my two little muppets for a good few years yet.

I'd also love to own a Saint at one stage, and I will get one!

I just wondered how many people were like me. I actually enjoy owning 2 different types of dogs, but from now on I think it will always be a staff plus....whatever?!

Anyone else been converted completely?!?! :blink:

2. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

No I don't think so. It's hard to know how you'll feel until they've gone. With my last dog I felt very strongly that I would never have another of her type- in fact I wanted the polar opposite- in spite of adoring patterdales.

Now I have a Chihuahua and it would be hard to imagine not having one- but what I am really saying is that it is hard to imagine being without Henri. So who knows. When he is gone I may not want another anything like him, like I did before.

I've also had a lot of heinz 57 very unique mixes, so I couldn't "replace" them even if I wanted to!

3. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

No I adopted my dogs from the free ads when their owners didn't want them any more.

I do have a particular fondness for black and tan mongrels.

#3 metaldog, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  4. Pets2luv.webs.com

Pets2luv.webs.com PetForums VIP

I have had other breeds in the past and will likely get other breeds in the future but now I have found my cavaliers I will def always have one.:p

My first dog when I was 3 was a yorkshire terrier called Rosie had her for 14 years till she died of old age :(
    Then I had a black lab from a rescue which stayed with an ex :( (Bully! :mad:)
    Then I met my husband who had 2 Rottweilers called Tia and Tiegan. They both died from a tumour on the leg. :( They were so gentle like big teddy bears :tongue_smilie:)
    Now we have the children we researched into what dogs would suit us all the most and so we have our Cavaliers. ( great decision even if I do say so myself!);)

RIP Rosie, Mollie, Tia and Tiegan.

5. Horse and Hound

Hmmm, never considered it that way. My mums dog, Timmy, he was a corgi x heeler, and she swore down after he died she wouldn't want either of those breeds.

6. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

My brothers Blue :)

Attached Files:

7. Horse and Hound

AWww he is gorgeous!!! :D

8. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

My brothers Blue :) He is gone now sadly :( but he was great little dog too :)

9. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

I want Gordon setters as my breed and will probably maintain that

Although I can see me getting other breeds too throughout my lifetime.

10. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

If I am totally honest I think it's something to do with the guilt of getting a new dog. I have never really discussed it before but I felt a strong sense of guilt that here I was enjoying my life with a new dog when my little love had passed, that idea of replacement? That you've 'moved on' and found another kind of thing...

Even though it's not what I was doing I found it hard to shake that feeling and part of what made it easier was to go for something that wasn't at all like her..... if you know what I mean.

11. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

#11 cinnamontoast, Mar 28, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2011
  12. Horse and Hound

No, I get it. ANd maybe I will think that way when the unthinkable happens, who knows. But I do understand.

And Cinamontoast, ignoring your post!!! :tongue_smilie:

13. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Me too liver and white springers all the way, although maybe one day will see a black and white one to take my fancy (although not getting another dog, two is enough), cos would like to call one 'Kernow'!

14. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

There are some breeds I'd love to own.

But if I'm honest now that I have two poodle crosses don't think I would like to own a pure breed now. Think for me now it would be a poodle cross or a mongrel.

With a mongrel in particular a real scruffy dude :D just love their individuality and quirkiness.

15. SixStar

SixStar Banned

The Bernese is my heart breed, I'll always have a Bernese in my life, and a Greyhound or two. Other breeds are subject to change though, whatever takes my fancy or needs a home at the time!

16. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Sorry!:eek:

I always wanted a liver and white, so my FIL sourced a mixed litter for us for the original two. We were replacing Jake with the new pups (that sounds awful!) so the OH wanted b/w and I must say that it would be hard to beat Bear in terms of looks: everyone says he's beautiful.
    [​IMG]

17. Horse and Hound

Like this:

[​IMG]

attitude or what?!

18. Souris

Souris PetForums Senior

I grew up around quite a mix myself, including shelties, springers, terriers and a lurcher.

But, I have to say, I can't see myself without a sheltie now, and we've already got a second in the planning stages. :eek: I do love my Mum's terriers, however they're just not for me, although looking after them is always fun! (Jack's fourteen and can still run half way across the field at a startling rate after a rabbit, as I found out earlier this year!) I quite like sight hound dogs as well, although I don't think I'd want to own them, my Mum does however so I'm sure I'll get my sight hound fix from her at a later date!

19. Cockerpoo lover

Cockerpoo lover PetForums VIP

Horse and Hound : Yep I'd have him :D

20. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

JRT's for me and since getting my boys Yorkies :)

2 years ago i would never have considered a Yorkie because i believed all the bad things i had heard about them, but through owning them they are great dogs.

As you can tell i have a thing for terriers and will never be without one.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice